Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print
Post your amazing/funny/thought provoking pics. (Read 87882 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Post your amazing/funny/thought provoking pics
Reply #270 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 5:14pm

Greenman wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 3:41pm:
Love this one.

Lol.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #271 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 5:47pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 1:03am:
First thing that popped into my head when I saw this pic... "Mal? Guy killed me, Mal. Killed me with a sword. How weird is that?"

Ha!  Me too.
And the Browncoats never fell, I don't know what you're talking about, Mas...

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #272 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 5:48pm

Greenman wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 3:41pm:
Love this one.

Ah, sometimes I do wish I'dv saved certain photos, one of which would be a response to this picture.
Let us remember that this picture is a reference to those who believe in God and those who do not, making fun of those who don't believe (the act of making fun of I do not mind at all), because in the picture, we know that mom clearly exists. But don't we know that because we're no longer a fetus? An accurate comparison, I feel, is that we are all fetuses in a womb, and then we must wonder where we got find concept of "mom" Can they think on that level, when it takes them time to even say a first word? I doubt it.

In addition, one baby, the atheist, does not seem to believe in Mom. Does this mean Mom will punish the baby for not accepting her? Regarding Christianity, the common belief is that you must accept Jesus as your Savior, if you don't want to spend eternity in hell and suffering.
(NOTE- I'm not advocating abortion.)

Now, to actually contribute something.

When I first saw this picture, it had a caption, in either white or black, that I enjoyed. It's from Jarhead / Psalm 23.
"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest M*****F***** in the G***** valley."

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #273 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 9:19pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 3:22pm:
Want to ride a flying boat?!
It happens at my work place (it happened 9 times today, I'm exhausted!):

That living Barbie makes me sick  Tongue
Greetings,
Mauro.

Nice sling! I wonder how far you can throw that boat?????? Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #274 - May 1st, 2012 at 2:44pm

Grin Grin Grin
I have to test our crane one day or another. It has a 14.000 cc engine granting it more than 800 hp.
It can raise up to 54 tons, I HAVE to attach a sling to its hook one day!!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #275 - May 1st, 2012 at 9:44pm

HurlinThom wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 3:40pm:
slingbadger wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 6:30am:
What do fencers think of this?

I used to do sabre a bit, back in the 60s. Remind me to tell you how I beat the Air Force Academy team in '66. For sure I could never elevate like that guy's doing.

My opinion is that if that's what they are doing now form has gone out the window and it's all athleticism. I think electronic scoring has spoiled things, and sabre is the last weapon to suffer that fate.

Thom, would you mind explaining in layman's terms what you mean by form going out the window and electronic scoring? I've always wished I had done fencing as a kid. It looks cool. I read this comment of yours and decided to look it up on youtube. Seems much different than I would have imagined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUEZIrDVT8

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #276 - May 2nd, 2012 at 9:01am

Morphy wrote on May 1st, 2012 at 9:44pm:
HurlinThom wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 3:40pm:
slingbadger wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 6:30am:
What do fencers think of this?

I used to do sabre a bit, back in the 60s. Remind me to tell you how I beat the Air Force Academy team in '66. For sure I could never elevate like that guy's doing.

My opinion is that if that's what they are doing now form has gone out the window and it's all athleticism. I think electronic scoring has spoiled things, and sabre is the last weapon to suffer that fate.

Thom, would you mind explaining in layman's terms what you mean by form going out the window and electronic scoring? I've always wished I had done fencing as a kid. It looks cool. I read this comment of yours and decided to look it up on youtube. Seems much different than I would have imagined.

I pictured a lot more sword play and tactics. It's the same thing with modern day tournament sparring, all you have to do is sneak in that one hit, it doesn't matter if it has any power behind it or if it leaves you helpless afterwards, if you touch the other guy before he get's you, you win. I think if they did something of a "contiunuous fencing" with 30 second rounds and and they tally up all of the points at the end it be much more interesting.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #277 - May 2nd, 2012 at 3:02pm

That is one thing I hate about the modern world. We take something and change it so much that it loses the entire spirit of what made that thing so cool to begin with. For example, the fencing in this video... It's suicidal. In reality the first guy to hit may score a mortal blow, but he's left himself totally open. The other guy, knowing he just gut stabbed with a sword would have no reason not to lunge forward and plow his sword into his opponent as well. He's going to die either way, might as well take his opponent with him.

Maybe I'm over simplifying things. That's how it appears to me though.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #278 - May 2nd, 2012 at 4:33pm

Morphy wrote on May 2nd, 2012 at 3:02pm:
That is one thing I hate about the modern world. We take something and change it so much that it loses the entire spirit of what made that thing so cool to begin with. For example, the fencing in this video... It's suicidal. In reality the first guy to hit may score a mortal blow, but he's left himself totally open. The other guy, knowing he just gut stabbed with a sword would have no reason not to lunge forward and plow his sword into his opponent as well. He's going to die either way, might as well take his opponent with him.

Maybe I'm over simplifying things. That's how it appears to me though.

No, you're right. It's the same way with Archery too.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #279 - May 3rd, 2012 at 10:52am

Morphy wrote on May 1st, 2012 at 9:44pm:
[quote author=HurlinThom link=1311384098/255#267 date=1335814810]Thom, would you mind explaining in layman's terms what you mean by form going out the window and electronic scoring? I've always wished I had done fencing as a kid. It looks cool. I read this comment of yours and decided to look it up on youtube. Seems much different than I would have imagined.

The prob with electronic scoring in sabre (as I see it, having dropped out before that came into use) is that you don't need to deliver a "cut", just lay the blade onto the opponent's target area. There's a little bit of circuitry involved, blades being part of the circuit and a metallic lamé vest covering the target area being the other part. I'm not sure how the head area is wired, but there is obviously a way for that. No force involved, in other words, just contact. Another circuit, blade-to-blade, invalidates hits that are made while the blades are in contact.

Fencing involves a sense of distance, knowing when to launch an attack, telling from the opponent's stance what he's about to do, other intangibles on top of the basic attacks and parries. Sabre's "target" (area where hits are valid) is the head and torso above the hips, as with swordfighting on horseback. You have 5 basic parries, head, upper and lower inside (front) and flank. And there are standard cuts to those areas, plus you cah deliver hits with the point. 

The two guys involved in the photo are immobile, at least horizontally. The squatter is apparently making a cut at the leaper's feet, not good target, and the leaper is taking an opportunity cut at his opponent's back. No proper attack or defense is involved. Of course the photo can't show the action that led up to this scene, so there may have been some good stuff there, but this certainly isn't classical.

Back when I was competing, after meets we'd be changing into street clothes and would compare welts. One guy (Paul was his name) was known for delivering real whacks to the chest; he was about 6'3" and could really deal them.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #280 - May 8th, 2012 at 12:41am

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on May 1st, 2012 at 2:44pm:
Grin Grin Grin
I have to test our crane one day or another. It has a 14.000 cc engine granting it more than 800 hp.
It can raise up to 54 tons, I HAVE to attach a sling to its hook one day!!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Looks to me like the sling and ammo are all set to go. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #281 - May 9th, 2012 at 3:01am

The whole modern fencing thing is also discussed on various HEMA forums, such as Schola Gladiatoria. Without wishing to go too off-topic here and maybe better placed in the primitive weapons section, here is a link to it if anyone has the time and energy to go through it all.

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18387

K.

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #282 - May 12th, 2012 at 10:08pm

OK, it's a postcard, but it's a really great view of Niagara Falls, near where I live.

niagara1.jpg (63 KB | )
niagara1.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #283 - May 12th, 2012 at 10:18pm

One from below

81.jpg (19 KB | )
81.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #284 - May 13th, 2012 at 1:23pm

I like the one from above a lot.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)