Keep all titles the same?    
  8 (66.7%)
Change some titles?    
  4 (33.3%)

Total votes: 12
« Last Modified by: Masiakasaurus on: Apr 25th, 2013 at 12:10pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Members category names (Read 22194 times)
Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: Members category names
Reply #30 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 12:26pm

I think the Latin ones are fine also.I only suggested Giant Killer as a nod to our grandfather of slinging,King David.Speaking of cheesy,God member was just that.

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 12:51pm

Yeah, God member was definitely over the top Grin.

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Reply #32 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 3:50pm

I don't think it sounds good to have the latin names, and then one english name. I would prefer either 5 latin names or 5 english ones. I prefer the latin ones though  Cheesy

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #33 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 4:35pm

3 consecutive votes for changing giant killer. Consider it done. For now it's just "giant killer" in latin, but we can pick something else if we want to completely abandon giant killer.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #34 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 5:48pm

I wish there was a latin word for spammer. I still think that would be funny considering how often someone under 10 posts is actually really a spammer.  Grin I think these latin names are starting to grow on me though. Good idea Eoraptor.  Smiley

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #35 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 2:19am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Jul 22nd, 2011 at 4:35pm:
3 consecutive votes for changing giant killer. Consider it done. For now it's just "giant killer" in latin, but we can pick something else if we want to completely abandon giant killer.

Sorry, Masi, but "trucido de gigantes" is not Latin, more of a mixture of Latin and Spanish. Google translator is a nice thing, but it can let you down.

"Trucido" is an expression that is more applied to an assassin or a murderer, someone who stabs people from behind. A word like "interfector" would be more adequate for somebody who slew his opponent in a fair duel.

Secondly, the relation to "of (the) giant" in Latin is not expressed by a preposition like in most modern Romance languages ("de"), but by the genitive case singular of the word "gigas" (giant), which is "gigantis". So "interfector gigantis" would be a proper term, imo.

Looking up the David/Goliath passage in the Bible, I found that the Latin version (Vulgata) does not use the word "gigas" for the "giant" Goliath at all, however, but "vir spurius". If you want to keep closer to that model, the correspondent to "killer of the giant" would be "interfector viris spurii".

When applied to a female member, though, it should correctly read "interfectrix viris spurii".

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #36 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 11:34am

Gigantes is actually a greek lone word in latin and doesn't follow latin spelling conventions, as far as I can tell. Looking up interfector gives me "murderer" while trucidor gives me "slayer" but I'm not really sure which is better... Google translator definitely let me down when it told me "trucido de gigantes," though. The latin Bible doesn't actually call Goliath a giant, AFAIK. I think "vir spurius" means duelist, actually. "Interfector Viris Spurii" would be "the person who's killed many duelists." Pretty cool title actually, but not a word for word translation. I like it better. Smiley It implies slinging ability in the same way as "Giant killer" did, it's still a nod to David who is the most famous recorded slinger, but it isn't exclusively biblical either. That settles it, I'm changing the title. I mean, I have to correct my translation mistakes, right? Wink

Edited:
I found a side-by-side translation of the latin Bible, and it translates vir spurius as "champion."

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #37 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 12:08pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Jul 23rd, 2011 at 11:34am:
Gigantes is actually a greek lone word in latin and doesn't follow latin spelling conventions, as far as I can tell.

It surely does follow the spelling and declination rules, being a loan word or not. It is regularly "gigas" (nom. sg.)., "gigantis" (gen. sg.) etc.

Or, in a more "latinized" (later?) form, "gigantis" (nom. sg.)., "gigantis" (gen. sg.) etc.

In both cases, "gigantes" would be the nom. and acc. pl. Having killed only one giant, though, our hero  could probably not be called "slayer of (several) giants". Leaving aside that the case then would be gen. pl. "gigantum".

I agree about the "champion" translation for "vir spurius". It is how the New Jerusalem Bible translates the expression.

Personally, I would prefer another word for the member status,  "gigantoctonus". I am not sure if it is correct, though, as it is in fact latinized Greek.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #38 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 4:25pm

I must admit the term Interfector Viris Spurii suits me a lot better than the term God, which was a little overkill Cheesy

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #39 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 5:58pm

"Interfector Viris Spurii" would be "the person who's killed many duelists."

Cool  I am now excited about getting to 1000 posts.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #40 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 8:08am

Eoraptor wrote on Jul 23rd, 2011 at 5:58pm:
"Interfector Viris Spurii" would be "the person who's killed many duelists."

Cool  I am now excited about getting to 1000 posts.

It does have a nice ring to it, particularly once the meaning is known.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #41 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 12:55pm

Quote:
Interfector Viris Spurii

where the hell did that come from ?

I grant you it's different lol Shocked

Think I'd prefer something a little more obvious.  Wink

lol

Anyway as we now have 'I always hated god member' declarists coming out of the woodwork right left and centre.
Can we - in future - at least make it known to one of the mods if you all really don't like something ?
I'd much rather we knew about this kind of crap than people just sat at home and festered, muttering to themselves: 'didn't wanna be god, nuh uh, not me, nope'.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #42 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 6:11pm

Me too.If everyone had all these opinions,why not speak up!Anyhow,I've created a monster.Sorry,I mean,you're welcome. Wink

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #43 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 8:24am

lol well you never told us either jax  Grin

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #44 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 3:24pm

It didn't really bother me,I was just waiting for the newer(and cooler Cool)names Wink

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris)