Keep all titles the same?    
  8 (66.7%)
Change some titles?    
  4 (33.3%)

Total votes: 12
« Last Modified by: Masiakasaurus on: Apr 25th, 2013 at 12:10pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Members category names (Read 22191 times)
Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Members category names
Jul 15th, 2011 at 3:58pm

What do ya'll think?Let's mix it up a bit.You could be Shepard,then Infantryman,work your way to a Governors Guard and finally become a Giant Killer.
 Anyone interested?The old ones sound so stale(Full Member,God Member,etc.etc.).Let's at least talk about it.

Brett
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2011 at 8:32am by Curious Aardvark »  

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Member Levels
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 4:09pm

I've seen Ace, Master, and Virtuoso on one forum and Newbie, Junior, Senior, Master, Maniac, Star, and Superstar on another. I wouldn't mind changing the level names to reflect our hobby better, such as: New Slinger, Junior (or Infantry) Slinger, Ace Slinger, Master Slinger, and Giant Killer (or Virtuoso, etc.)

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 12:49am

I'm for changing them. Although I don't really have ideas for what to change them to, I don't really like the idea of the title of god being applied to me,  and I've tried to limit my posting so as to avoid that status for as long as I could, so I'd be happy if it was changed.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 6:42am

Quote:
 What do ya'll think?Let's mix it up a bit.You could be Shepard,then Infantryman,work your way to a Governors Guard and finally become a Giant Killer.
 Anyone interested?The old ones sound so stale(Full Member,God Member,etc.etc.).Let's at least talk about it.

Brett

This would imply that persons with higher levels on the forum are automatically better slingers than those with lower levels, which is not necessarily the case. It only means that they have made more written contributions to discussions.

Apart from that, not everybody here slings with an intention to kill or have some para-military aura around him or her. "Infantryman"? No. "Governor's guard"? NO!

The "old" terms are generally more neutral, and I would vote to stick to them.

I see Timothy's argument, though. It might be less controversial to replace "god member" by "master member" or "arch member" or so.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 11:10am

Fundibularius wrote on Jul 16th, 2011 at 6:42am:
Quote:

Brett

This would imply that persons with higher levels on the forum are automatically better slingers than those with lower levels, which is not necessarily the case. It only means that they have made more written contributions to discussions.

Apart from that, not everybody here slings with an intention to kill or have some para-military aura around him or her. "Infantryman"? No. "Governor's guard"? NO!

The "old" terms are generally more neutral, and I would vote to stick to them.

I see Timothy's argument, though. It might be less controversial to replace "god member" by "master member" or "arch member" or so.

I agree.Why not make them levels for target slinging.Like you've stated,master or arch,just add the slinger instead of member.Also to your point about the posting/level thing,why not have your level increase after a certain amount of time even if your post count is not up to that level.

Masiaka,should we bump this topic to the main discussion board and try to give it more exposure?

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Greenman

Krugersdorp, South Africa
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:06pm

I also feel uncomfortable with the term "GOD" member as i believe in Him...

Without sounding like a nerd who still lives with his parents, why not go with something like a Jedi level??? (If you are 35, living with your parents and have a Star Wars duvet on your bed, THE FORCE IS NOT WITH YOU !!!)

Or why not come up with a definitive level that may, in future, be applied to all slingers. Something that will reflect a slinger's knowledge, accuracy and range.

If i can come up with a grading system, would you slingers be interested ???

I only ask because such ideas intrigue me greatly and it is something i can greedlily obsess over for the next month.

Sweet is the music that brings out the Slings.&&The Sling. The finest guerilla weapon on Earth. (Fletch_man)&&We few, we happy few, we Hail of Slingers.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 7:29am

okay - I can relate to this, consider it done Smiley

Also it will be fluid. So if you come up with better names - we can change them Smiley
(soon as I remember whereabouts in the control panel it is lol)

right removed probtionary as that applies to zero post members and they get removed as a matter of course.

lol this is harder than it sounds. So yep going to move to general for ideas Smiley

Never occured to me that anyone would object to being a god member lol
Just goes to show - if you want something done - tell someone who can do something about it Smiley
Keeping it to yourself never helped anyone  Wink

Right so lets have some idea for category names.
Quote:
Giant Killer      x 5              1000      
Senior Member      x 4              500      
Full Member      x 3              100      
Junior Member      x 2              10      
Forum newbie      x 1              .5      

These are current as of ten minutes ago - we've all lost our divinity  Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Members category names
Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 11:59am

I'm glad I'm not a God member anymore.  I might have a problem giving up my divinity. lol.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 2:25pm

The only constant thing is change,so jlasud thinks let it change.Some ideas:
*         Slinger Baby
**       Slinger Boy
***     Shepard Slinger
****   Mercenary Slinger
***** Expert Slinger      

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 3:27pm

Mauro agrees with jlasud but would like to read as follows:

*         Stone
**         Lead bullet

and then:
jlasud wrote on Jul 18th, 2011 at 2:25pm:

***     Shepard Slinger
****   Mercenary Slinger
***** Expert Slinger      

Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 3:35pm

New names sounds like a good idea. I'm not comfortable with God member now that you mention it and the other names are very boring IMHO...

I also think there should be more individual titles, like 10 instead of 5.

As far as making titles be based on time as a member that may be discouraging for newer members if they have been active members for 1 year but are a lower title than a lurker of 3 years. Or whatever the case may be. Doing it by posts encourages forum participation which is really what such a small sport as slinging needs.  

Some ideas for titles and possible post counts for each:

Spammer (1-10)
Cannon Fodder (11-49)
Grunt (51-100)
Recruit (101-199)
Centurion (200-499)
Officer (200-499)
Sage (500-999)
Dead eye (500-999)
Crack shot (1001-1499)
Adept (1000-1499)
Giant killer (already posted but a good one) (1501-2499)
Master Slinger (2500-3499)
Grandmaster (3500+)

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 4:37pm

I was never really comfortable with "God Member" so I am glad thats changed. Once we get a definitive list of names we should make a poll on that as well.

Oh and just to throw in some names.

"Hazardous slinger", try not to have things too humiliating  so that it prevents people from joining.

The rest of the names are pretty good but, it's up to the rest of the crew.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 5:14pm

I thought God Member was funny, but I can see why some people don't like it.  Giant Killer is better anyhow.
I do not think there should be more ranks than we already have, but different would be fun.  Here are some Roman rankings (off of this website  http://s_van_dorst.tripod.com/Ancient_Warfare/Rome/hierarchy.html)  If we do this, I think we should keep it in Roman without any explanation, make people look it up if they want to know.

New Member-
Tiro (recruit). He was not yet subjected to full rigors of military discipline until he passed out and was registered as a real soldier, no regular pay so presumably living of his enlistment bounty or viaticum.

Junior Member-
Miles (private). He was on basic pay and eligible for fatigue duties. Legionary cavalrymen had higher basic pay, as did their NCO's due to the higher cost of equipment.
or
Discens (trainee). Private in training for special function, basic pay and eligible to fatigue duties.

Full Member-
Centurio ('commander of hundred' Cool), officer in command of a centuria also ordinarius or title derived from original place in the battle order. There was some variation in seniority and remuneration between these officers.

Senior Member-
Tribunus. There were six of these officers to a legion and usually there were five equestrian tribuni angusticlavii and one senatorial tribunus laticlavius, named thin - or broad striped after the purple lines on their tunics that indicated their social status. The last one was had higher status and functioned as second-in-command of the legion.
or
Legatus legionis. A senatorial officer who generally had seen prior service as tribunus and was placed in charge of the legion.

And I like Giant Killer for God Member, but I like the Roman Ranks so much that perhaps we should bump Giant Killer up to 1500 or 2000  (I know that made quite a stir last time, so maybe not…)

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 10:42pm

I'm going to second the suggestion for more sport like, less military titles. A possibility:
Ball Slinger
Rock Slinger
Glande Slinger
Dart Slinger

IP Logged

Arthur the great
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 10:58pm

I like Eorapture's idea

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris)