Send Topic Print
Whips? (Read 3019 times)
Mayan
Tiro

Robin Hood

Auletta Italy
Whips?
Jul 13th, 2011 at 3:27am

I don't know much about whips but I wanted to try to make one with just the stuff I could find at home depot. Maybe some 550 cord with a knot at the end? Any suggestions?
Also just wanted to start a thread on anything related to whips.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Re: Whips?
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:52pm

Here's a thread from Bladeforums "gadgets and gear" section:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/731204-cool-paracord-project?hi...

I think you can view this without signing up, but the forum is full of good information and there are a number of whip-related threads.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 10:04pm

One of these days I'm going to get off of my lazy butt and try this.  It looks really cool:
http://skiptomylou.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/how-to-make-a-duck-tape-bullwhip/

IP Logged

greencheapsk8
Descens

Just in it for the fire!

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 7:00am

Whips?  Roll Eyes
Just to make the conversation lowbrow Grin

Rivers of silver, that is my dream.&&Glowing, twisting, snaking, flowing.&&Cooling and burning, shrinking and melting.&&

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 2:57pm

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 10:11pm

flat parachute cord works well, if you can find it. I use it for just about any braiding project I have. It only costs about 7-10 cents a foot.

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:13pm

Good topic. Thanks.

I've been into whips, for almost 30 years. Taught many eons of Boy Scouts to use whips in indian dance ceremonies.
I suggest starting with an eight footer, heavy in the middle and no swivel at the handle.
Now you've got me thinking that I should make a You Tube training video. My shoulder's fairly shot but maybe I could do it in sections and edit it together.

I see you already found the best of the tutorials for making your own. I can add that it takes a lot of time but can eventually be worth it. Not everyone will put in the time it takes to learn to make a great whip but that's what makes it special.
A "Good" braided leather Bull Whip can cost around $12.00 a foot, a nylon whip should go for about $10.00 a foot and will last a lot longer as long as they are not left out in the sun for a few months.
A Horse Whip is lighter and easier to crack but won't stand up to the demands of a working ranch.

Good luck and best wishes and lets see the photos when you finish making your own.

Cracker!  Cheesy

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:19am

I've never tried parachute cord before but if the core of the whip is heavy enough, they work ok.  Paul Nolan makes a great one.  They are cheap and durable, and popular in Florida where the humidity isn't good for leather. 

For a proper whip which handles correctly for fast work with multiple cracking, they are almost invariably made of kanagroo leather.  It's an incredible material, unique the world over.  It allows for dense hefty tight work which can be kept small in cross section and slice through the air with speed.  A good Australian whip can weigh less than a pound and be efficient enough to outperform many American bullwhips weighing over twice that or more.  They are expensive compared to the American whips, so keeping them out of the dirt is a good idea.  Yet if made right the maneuvers that can be done with them are mind blowing. 

Despite always being known as Whipartist, I've never posted any of my work on here before.  Here's one of the bullwhips I've made.  It's 24 plait at the butt and 8 plait at the point.      

IM004671s.JPG (458 KB | )
IM004671s.JPG
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)