Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Sling vs. Bow (Read 48140 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Sling vs. Bow
Reply #45 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 4:30pm

The other big issue that people forget when deciding on the best weapon for a survival situation is the fact that you will likely be deliriously hungry, sick, cold/hot, thirsty and demoralized in a true survival situation. This means that while under the best circumstances you might have a chance with one weapon or another, under real world conditions it would be very different.

I think this may be why Native Americans often used bows in the 35-45 pound range. Such a weapon is extremely easy to use even when ravenously hungry or extremely tired. Probably more so than any other weapon.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #46 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 11:47pm

Ishi liked 40 pounds. I was surprised when I read that. Ice man had a bow in the making. Has anyone (they) determined poundage?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 3:30am

http://www.primitiveways.com/Otzi%27s_bow.html

Überraschung 😁

Ich schieße einen 85lbs reiterbogen aus Ungarn. Ein Monster.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #48 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 6:11am

For hunting purposes I hear 40ish lb bows is all you need to take the largest of game. Any more than that is anti-armour purposes.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #49 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 9:24am

Naja mit 40lbs kann man vieles sicher jagen. Bei Wildschwein kann es Probleme geben.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #50 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 10:00am

I'd say that's less a problem of the arrow or the bow and more a problem of the boar! Grin

I wouldn't hunt a boar even if I had the strength, skill and technique to draw back bows of over 100lbs. They are angry, tough, ferocious things.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #51 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 11:18am

Grin das stimmt.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #52 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 11:24am

from my experience having a helping hand is of utmost importance in survival/hunting/bow making etc more important than having a 100lb bow and arrows ready to use.
somehow boar hunting is dangerous even today with semi auto shotguns, hounds and other hunters.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #53 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 1:54pm

This is where I heard it- from 8:50 onwards Henrik Thurfjell (a Swedish bowyer/hunter) talks about hunting wild boar. I got the poundage wrong- but he says "probably less than 60 is fine" (for large game), 60lb will apparently even go through a moose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRX-OHahbMI

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #54 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 2:30pm

There is more than just the draw weight.  Another thing to keep in mind is the efficiency of the bow.  For example a recurve bow of the same draw weight will usually shoot an arrow faster than a straight-limbed bow.  Although if you're using a commercially manufactured bow this shouldn't be any problem.

Also your arrow tips are very important.  I was target shooting once and had all my archery stuff out.  While I was taking a break I saw a groundhog in my yard and took a shot at it.  My arrows only had field tips on them, but they were fairly new and still had a sharp point.  I hit that groundhog pretty much dead center but the arrow literally bounced off.  The bow I was using was just under 40 lb.  Probably 38 - 39 lb draw weight.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #55 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 2:43pm

I think the general rule of thumb has been a 60 pounder will kill anything in North America. And some will say less than that. I know of a guy that killed a moose with a 45 pounder. Moose are huge animals but an arrow is basically a flying razor blade so I guess that's not too surprising.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #56 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 2:43pm

I guess I would stick to fishing and gathering.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2021 at 11:51am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #57 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 10:43am

Too much fish will make you sick.  The guy that Robinson Caruso was modeled after ate goats after eating fish for a couple of months due to "watery bowels".

The thing with a bow and arrow hunter is where you hit the animal, even with a stone point.  Basically, you want to puncture both lungs and then you wait for them to fill up with blood.  If you hit the heart or some major arteries, that means they will bleed out quicker.

In 1914, Art Young talked a number of museums into letting him test their artifacts.  I don't recall exactly how many bows he tested but the draw weight spanned from around 25 pounds to 70.  Most were in the 40 to 50 pound range.  These were bows by primarily Plains tribes, so those bows were made for both warfare and hunting.  And two of the primary meat animals were bison and elk.  Elk can weigh up to 600 pounds (275kg) and bison can top a ton.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #58 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 5:08pm

I don't have a lot of experience with making bows, but I can make a selfbow in the range of 20-30 pounds, provided I have a cord, but that's about it. The bow won't be beautiful, or last very long, but it'll shoot that for awhile. I have a store bought 28 pound bow and I would never want to get hit by it. I imagine that exceeding 40 to 50 pounds bow would've made little sense until the bow got popular in warfare and people started wearing armor.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #59 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 8:10pm

I have a 40lber at home and it hits with a good bit of force. Back when I was a kid, there was a guy at our archery club who used an 80lber, it was damn powerful. Used to put arrows straight through the foot thick packed foam target bosses. If you accidentally shot it into wooden frame you wouldn't even be able to get the arrow out! I can't imagine what these 120lb+ top end longbows would do.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, Morphy)