Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New trebuchet (Read 4408 times)
HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

New trebuchet
Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:52am

Built a half-size prototype of one I intend to enter in this Fall's pumpkin event at Cal State Fullerton. Finished the frame yesterday, fitted it with an existing arm, sling, and counterweight to test for function. Here's a still from the video I shot. Performance was not great, but the working parts were pretty mismatched.

If the wood seems assorted, it is. I used a bunch of boards that had been sitting around taking up space, some out in the weather.

MVI_2064.jpg (56 KB | )
MVI_2064.jpg

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: New trebuchet
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 8:35pm

Looks like a neat job to me.  Do the neighbors ever complain?  Bill

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 10:49pm

Thanks. Bill. All angles and lengths were calculated pretty carefully, and cut as precisely as I could. I'm trying to make this one as close to half the big one as I can, within the bounds of practicality. This one is for practice, to make sure the calculations are valid. I really don't want unpleasant surprises when I get the 2X6s I actually paid for cut.

No neighbor complaints, but they're mostly pretty cool. I limit myself to tennis balls so no real damage gets done.

BTW, I made a couple of minor changes and increased throwing distance around 40%.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 10:31am

HurlinThom wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 10:49pm:
BTW, I made a couple of minor changes and increased throwing distance around 40%.

What were the before and after distances?

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 10:52am

Guesstimated 80 feet to indirectly paced-off 115.  Wink First shot hit my roof short of the ridge, second one was recovered in the jasmine ground cover in the front yard. The greater distance might have been impeded by a small tree, but bounce and roll are unlikely. Both release angle and velocity were visibly better on the later throws.

Might not sound like much distance but the frame is barely over 2 1/2 feet tall, and nothing "trick" has been tried yet.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 12:00pm

Where do you go to test fire? If your treb is like a sling, your ammo limits your range, which can be a good thing, but don't you really want to know what it is capable of doing?  Bill

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 12:19pm

Well, there's a park I go to, but I have to wait until the off-leash dogs clear out. Legally the dogs ought to be on-leash, but that's ignored. Since most of my trebs are small I can use the back yard for early development. I have around 130 feet to play with before things exit my yard. The better efforts do wind up on the lawn across the street. I may have hit that house on occasion, but tennis balls have almost no energy left after traveling that far. As I find more ways to increase performance I build smaller to avoid problems/confrontations.

Just stuck a video up on YouTube, for those who are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP5yq45nO_A

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 1:13pm

Quote:
but I have to wait until the off-leash dogs clear out.

lol you miss a trick there - just get the dogs to bring the balls back Smiley

like the video too.

So what weight you got on that ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 5:16pm

Maybe I'm looking too far into this but it seems like the treb's arm in the picture is about the same length as the sling portion? Is that correct and is there a certain golden ratio that lets you know the most efficient length for each in proportion to one another?

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 6:10pm

Morphy, the golden ratio is whatever works best. In other words it's situational. If the arm is fast (light, low moment of inertia, light projectile, or heavy counterweight) it sling needs to be shorter. And a longer sling goes with a slower arm. You're trying to get sling release at the point where as much of the energy as possible has transferred from the falling counterweight into the ball. There's some disagreement as to the particulars, and it's likely really a boring subject unless you're actually trying to optimize a treb's tuning.

CA, that's 20 pounds (iron, not Stirling). About 9 kg to those in the modern world. Plus a couple for the attaching gubbins. Matsu isn't much of a tennis ball chaser. Can't be bothered with piddly little stuff like that. As a youngster she did try to catch a Saluki, pretty amazing; they circled the park a few times until the Saluki kicked in the afterburners and left her. That's supposed to be the fastest breed in the world.

Ah, you meant the dogs in the park. Dog slobber all over my nice tennis balls? I think not. Plus they'd "fetch" the balls to their owners, not to me. 

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Weapon of Medi(a)eval destruction
Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:54pm

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2012 at 9:06am

No neighbor complaints, but they're mostly pretty cool. I limit myself to tennis balls so no real damage gets done.

They don't dare.
They all think he's one of the Capitol One Vikings.

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:40pm

ChuckRocks wrote on Jul 29th, 2012 at 9:06am:

They don't dare.
They all think he's one of the Capitol One Vikings.

Grin

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 2:48pm

Little update on the small one. I just finished a very light arm (using up some materials that were taking up space in the shop) and put a small video of an ealy shot up on You Tube.

http://youtu.be/diml-21PIY0

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)