Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What about the swiss arrow? (Read 11454 times)
Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
What about the swiss arrow?
Jun 20th, 2011 at 11:16pm

Am I the only one interested in the swiss arrow? The pure simplicity puts it almost as easy as the sling to make. Once you make a certain amount of arrows they would probably last a long time, as long as you don't fire them off into a lake or anything crazy. I have some 125 grain field points that I don't use for my bow anymore (compound, I don't shoot traditional until I finish making my longbow) I've switched to 100 grain for the speed. Anyway, I should buy some 1/2 inch dowel at home depot and get to work, I just found out about these not too long ago, and now It's just another primitive weapon to add to the collection. (What to I have now? Atlatl, Sling, almost completed the longbow, I'm sure the list goes on.)

So I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion on the swiss arrow after some practice and work, would it be alright for small game hunting?

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: What about the swiss arrow?
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 11:22pm

Odds are that swiss arrows will be illegal where you live... I'd look it up. Where I live in the US has some very lax game laws and most hunting methods are illegal here.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Wayfarer
Descens

"Utrum per hebdomadem
perveniam"

Tampa, Florida
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 11:35pm

Me and some friends of mine made some out of duct tape and sticks, but nothing serious so I don't have much to offer on this subject.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 12:56am

Sure; birds, bunnies,  game up to coyote or small Texas style white tail deer. If you can stalk or build a good enough blind for a short range throw 7-10 yards. I think you could take up to a white tail in size with careful arrow placement. But as M... said probably not legal where you live .... The states I've hunted in have very specific rules on what you can use to take game.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 10:15am

I looked it up for you. Ontario lets you hunt certain species with everything from bows, crossbows, flintlocks, and percussion cap muzzle loaders through modern repeating rifles, some air rifles, and any kind of shotgun. Swiss arrows aren't legal, however.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 10:26am

You can use it in Alabama, as long as the head is 2 inches (5cm) wide.  As someone who has killed deer and hogs with an atlatl and darts, I think it is doable for large game but I would make some changes to the dart.  Bear in mind that this is because I need to make that honking huge point penetrate.  My preferred wood, in this order would be ash, white oak, red oak, hickory, then poplar.  I would start with a 1 inch dowel (25mm) and make it a torpedo taper with the center of balance at about the 3/4 mark or slightly forward.  The tip and base would be around 3/8 inch (1cm), I would make my points from el cheapo 3 inch (76mm) circular saw blades, this will require cutting them out with a side grinder and final shaping on a grinder.  I would split the shaft and glue with two part epoxy, then wrap at least 1/2 inch below with kevlar fishing line to prevent the head from coming loose or splitting the shaft on impact. I would fletch with the highest feathers that I could find but I would make it a parabolic shape.  Then, I would practice daily, starting with about 10 to 15 throws, and working my way to about 50.  I would not fine tune my darts until I could throw them pretty good, probably about three weeks of daily practice. 

I don't know if the 125's would work, it may with the smaller shaft you are talking about.  It will take some whittling to get them to fit and I suspect they may be the weak link unless you have haybales to throw at.  I use 1/2 inch (12mm) ash atlatl darts and I break the tips off pretty regularly when I go stumping with them. Bill

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Canada
Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 2:20pm

I wouldn't hunt with them though, When I said hunting I meant as a survival situation, sorry I didn't specify. Now that I think of it though, I wouldn't have a quiver full if swiss arrows if I got lost, it wouldn't be such a high priority. I'm going to make some still for target practice though.

When I hunt I never use illegal weapons, don't think of me like that. I use shotguns, rifles, and bows. When I make these weapons I use them for target practice and carry something in the woods for survival (if I get lost, or attacked by some animals) I usually carry a sling, or a knife.

ANYWAY! What I meant with this question is, would the swiss arrow make a good survival hunting weapon, for if I go hiking if I carry a back quiver full of them and the string/launcher.

Again, sorry I wasn't originally clear about it.

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

Wayfarer
Descens

"Utrum per hebdomadem
perveniam"

Tampa, Florida
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 2:27pm

Crow Hat wrote on Jun 21st, 2011 at 2:20pm:
ANYWAY! What I meant with this question is, would the swiss arrow make a good survival hunting weapon, for if I go hiking if I carry a back quiver full of them and the string/launcher.

If you're going to all that trouble why not just take a bow with you?

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Canada
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 3:13pm

With the swiss arrow both hands are free, a bow is cumbersome. I do enjoy archery,  like it better than most things, but there's never been a way I could carry my compound bow on my back, and I don't have any form of a traditional bow as it stands now.

...And the swiss arrow looks fun  Cheesy

I'm still going to make a few arrows for target practice, My whole question was if it would theoretically be a good weapon for survival hunting. Which I've read here that it would be, I'm not going to make a few and go deer hunting with the things, It's just a theoretical situation, I would only use them for hunting if it were legal, or it was life and death.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 4:08pm

well for me the definition of a 'survival' weapon is one you can knock up in the wild with nothing but some cord and a knife.

So yeah a swiss arrow would fit. Easier to make than an atlatl and almost as effective - certainly at short range.

if you look around there are a few swiss arrow threads around the forum.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 9:01pm

3 in a back quiver ought to make a great stumping weapon.  You should do a follow up and let us know how it works.  Bill

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Canada
Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 9:19pm

no problem, I'll make a couple, maybe 3-5 and have some fun with it. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 10:55pm

To be honest I have no experience of either but I imagine as a "survival weapon" an atlatl would be better than a swiss arrow. It's probably only marginally more work but the accuracy and ease of use seems to be vastly superior. Swiss arrow appears little more than a game to see how far you can throw it. However all the atlatl vids. on YT show a weapon that is quite accurate at relatively short range and can be used from cover of bushes etc. In that respect it appears much better than a sling as well.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 12:12am

I agree an atlatl would be much more powerful but then again if you are one of those lucky people with a really great throwing arm and you've put the practice in with a swiss arrow I could see you taking a small doe (maybe?). I mean when it comes down to a survival situation where you eat or you die, it's worth a shot. Would make a great story if you took a deer with one.

Having a quiver with 6 or so sounds like a fun afternoon of stumping to me. Makes me want to give them a try.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 8:41am

I have a couple hours of expierence with them adn I would just suggest heaver heads like closer to  150 to 200grains here is a link to a place theat sells them for a great price http://www.arrowwoods.com/fixins.htm.

As far as shafts, dowels tend to be pretty weak and with poor grain I would suggest using more rural souces like the woods, and just debark the shaft and straighten it. For stumping arrows start out with a sapling about 1 - 1 1/2in in diameter and the whittle down the whole thing from about 2in down the head to about half inch diamiter that way you'll have about a 140 - 160grain head depending on what wood you use.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)