Send Topic Print
Best cordage? (Read 5932 times)
sjvanbrs
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Sumner IA
Best cordage?
Jun 4th, 2011 at 3:42pm

What cordage would be the best for making a sling? Plastic rope did'nt work for me. I hear paracord could work. Can someone help?

I just started

IP Logged

sam harrison
Tiro

stone logistics

Re: Best cordage?
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 4:04pm

personally i like 550 paracord, its pretty light, easy to knot and use in general, not great for making a woven sling however, you would probably need something thinner.

those who live by the joystick are doomed to die by the joystick

IP Logged

echelon7
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 7:15pm

paracord works awesome for weaving if you gut it.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 8:46pm

Just about any twine will work, but you need to tailor the sling to the twine. Paracord makes a good woven sling; synthetic twines, sisal, hemp, cotton, and jute all make good braided slings; and higher quality twine makes a nice woven replica of the sling found in king Tut's tomb. Smaller twines and stretchy wool need more complex braids, though. Craft store hemp, cotton clothes line, or paracord are probably the easiest to work with.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 10:39am

I prefer hemp and can get several sizes in local craft stores  Smiley (I really like hemp), followed by braided seine/masons twine (nylon)  and the ever present 550 knock off cord.

The material I choose is closely coupled with the style of sling I'm making ... and the phase of the moon.

The next time I'm close to my favorite kite store; I'll see if I can get a spool of un-waxed linen.  I'd like to try linen.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Wayfarer
Descens

"Utrum per hebdomadem
perveniam"

Tampa, Florida
Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:09pm

550 Parachute cord makes the highest performing slings that can fit in your pocket. But as far as natural materials go, my favorites are jute twine and hemp (Even though some hemp twine stinks like cow manure).

Here is my most recent braided sling (made from jute)
[IMG]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/Wayarer/22a9fac2.jpg[/IMG]

And my EDC sling (550 paracord and leather)
[IMG]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/Wayarer/c2a70c36.jpg[/IMG]

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 11:55pm

Welcome, sjvanbrs;
    Ask twenty different slingers that question and get twenty different answers.  It's very much a matter of personal preference, as is everything else related to slinging.  I have made very good slings with all of the following materials.  I'll try to list them in order of preference:
Jute, hemp, paracord, polypropylene, cotton, nylon, sisal, and synthetic yarn.  I'm sure I'm foregetting something.  I've yet to try flax and silk but I'm told they make excellent slings also.  Sisal is rough, scratchy, and hard on your hands plus it has a lot of "memory" but some people like it.  It's OK.  I find synthetic yarn is good for making ornametal slings for children.  It comes in many bright colors.  I guess they're somewhat functional, but I find synthetic yarn just isn't tough enough.  Many of the guys here have made slings from wool.  One was sent to me as a gift.  They're a bit stretchy but nice.

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 1:34pm

<-- take a guess.

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 11:21am

Many of the members here prefer paracord.  It certainly has its advantages.  It's pliable, easy to work with, and with a 550 lb breaking strength it's almost indestructible.  Also it's very difficult (but not impossible) to make a bad looking sling from paracord. Though I prefer some of the natural materials like jute, cotton, and hemp for their feel, there's certainly nothing wrong with paracord as far as I'm concerned.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 2:10pm

I prefer the slings I braid from cheap hemp twine.
A lot of types of twine is fine for slings, the trick is to decide what type of sling should be made from the twine at hand Smiley

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 3:19am

timann wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 2:10pm:
A lot of types of twine is fine for slings, the trick is to decide what type of sling should be made from the twine at hand Smiley

yep, i think this is the best answer so far. braiding a sling from paracord (too heavy) is like making a seatbelt sling with cords from a single strand of sisal (tangles). it takes a while, but eventually you get the hang of it.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 11:43am

timann wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 2:10pm:

Due to a stroke of good fortune I have literally miles of cheap jute twine.  The majority of slings I've made have been from this jute.  It braids up up nicely and it's great for rockmans and all of the sheep shank based slings. (TS3, pj, Cobra, etc..)  Also it makes a good tape pouch sling.  Like timann I also like cheap hemp and often buy big balls of it at Walmart.

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 1:08pm

I use "camping rope" from walmart, It's basically the same rope you can find on a boat that's tied to the dock. It's green, and you don't have to worry  about it twisting (I used to have that problem, but then i got this) because it doesn't twist at all. That can be a good or bad thing though If you like a woven pouch, then it's a terrible cord to use, too hard to work with. I prefer the regular 2 strips of leather crossed and tied for a pouch.

Sometimes it might have a rip, and only having this new cordage on my sling for a week now, I can't get into details. Anyway, at $6 for 50' (and the fact that I use only 18" to 24" cords for more accuracy over power) it's a good enough deal.

The best way I can test anything on a sling is to put the sling together, and carry it in my pocket everywhere I go whether I plan on slinging or not (cause you never know, okay?!) and just try a couple shot to see if it would withstand regular use and transportation.

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

mossdog427

thud

Kentucky
Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 2:39pm

The only thing I've used that I didn't like was nylon. I still haven't used leather for the cords but only because I keep forgetting to make a trip to the craft store, but the simplicity of the technology seems to leave the "best material" argument entirely up to preference for the most part.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 3:00pm

mossdog, there's nylon and there's nylon.  I have some nylon that I absolutely can't make a sling from and some that as good as anything else I've tried. Paracord is a type of nylon.  So is the mason line that I lot of the guys like.  I just bought my first batch of mason line for my recovery.  I bought a multicolored varitey pack and a few spools.  I'll let you all know how it works out.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy)