Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
golf ball slinging game, catching over 100m? (Read 4697 times)
sam harrison
Tiro

stone logistics

golf ball slinging game, catching over 100m?
Jun 4th, 2011 at 5:37am

The picture shows the range at which the staff sling can hit a person 1st shot apx. 150m!
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2011 at 7:43am by Curious Aardvark »  

those who live by the joystick are doomed to die by the joystick

IP Logged

sam harrison
Tiro

stone logistics

Re: golf ball slinging game, catching over 100m?
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 5:40am

I have only recently got into slinging (a couple of weeks at most) it is an awesome sport! I have cast some lead  and concrete ammo but i find my favourite is still a golf ball. the problem with this is that the golf balls are readily lost in a field. The answer to this was to throw the golf balls between two people, this is pretty safe since you can see it in the air, when you lose sight of it things can get a little scary though Tongue

I have a 600mm paracord and leather sling that i use at the moment, this is pretty accurate at 100m throwing sidearm or figure 8, however this is nowhere near the accuracy of a staff sling at this range, as well as asking for input on lobbing golf balls at other people in a field, does anybody have any tips on improving accuracy?

also this pic shows how else you can retrieve golf balls
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2011 at 7:44am by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 8:15am

he remids me of bilbo! Cheesy
to improve accuracy, just use a consistent weight and shape of ammo. say, a 20 gram glandiform. and sling at a target at increasing distances until you can hit the bullseye.

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 8:34am

Hi, sam;
   Welcome.  I also like slinging golf balls. IMO nothing travles farther.  I often loose sight of them when slinging.  Staff slings are a lot of fun to design and use. Nice dog.  I used to have a Lab/Newfoundland mix that looked a lot like that.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 9:57am

paracordslinger wrote on Jun 4th, 2011 at 8:15am:
he remids me of bilbo! Cheesy
to improve accuracy, just use a consistent weight and shape of ammo. say, a 20 gram glandiform. and sling at a target at increasing distances until you can hit the bullseye.

Agreed,except the 20 gram glandiform.Slinging 20g ammo is extremely inefficient and you can easily throw your arm out.Golf balls with their ~45g weight are the minimum weight...of course it's all personal preference but anything lighter than that is no good.Maybe if you make a sling out of fishing line,than you might get some slinging action with 30-40g+

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

sam harrison
Tiro

stone logistics

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 1:11pm

most of my practice has been with small stones apx 20 - 30g, i can hit a can at 10m after just a couple of tries but longer ranges are harder, mostly due to the way golf balls curve so much when they have spin! do glandes curve so much off course of they are spinning smoothly? i think it is all the dimples that makes them spin o.O a decent figure 8 throw puts some fair backspin on a golf ball though!

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 10:49pm

a glande is like a bullet, if it has rifled spin, it is like a heat seeking missile Cheesy

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 9:44am

Golf balls are fun but the bendy flight puts me off them. My fave ammo is air dried clay glandes like the ones below:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2537/4105556329_41f5813d0e_z.jpgzz=1

IP Logged

sam harrison
Tiro

stone logistics

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 11:20am

awesome ammo, nice sling too! i prefer the two strap pouch but i like your style, might have to make one next weekend Cheesy i was planning on making a mould to cast concrete glandes, any ideas on how to produce a symmetrical positive? (to cast a negative mould from)

IMG_1342.JPG (124 KB | )
IMG_1342.JPG

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:31pm

You dont have to cast cement, you can make it squidgy enough to roll by hand. You can also carve your shape into two pieces of wood and use them as a press.

You should wear plastic gloves to protect your hands when handling cement, it is caustic. Keep your eyes safe too.

http://slinging.org/index.php?page=fifty-second-bullets---mark-findlay

http://slinging.org/index.php?page=concrete-easter-eggs-look-out-below---nick-ma...

http://slinging.org/index.php?page=making-clay-shot---shawn

IP Logged

sam harrison
Tiro

stone logistics

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 6:36pm

thanks for the links, im gonna have a go this week, ill put some pics up

IP Logged

Israelong
Tiro

The Devil made me do it!!!

Penn State
Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 10:47pm

General mould making...  It may be a bit labour intensive, but the right mould will cast a thousand times...  Start by making a positive form of what you want out of a good shapeable material (wood, clay, etc...)  Once you have a positive, you need to make a two part mould that you can pour into...  Get some clay and pound it into a form so that there is a nice clean flat side (the bottom of where you are pounding...)  Turn it over so that the flat side is now the upper side and insert the positive form into the middle of it and push the positive form in until it is HALFWAY in.  Carve away any excess clay so that you have a smooth surface that comes just to the mid point of your positive.  WITHOUT DOING IT, the idea is that you could remove the positive without pulling any of the clay away.  Create a few dimples in the outside edges of the clay as alignment dots so that the next few steps will line up.  Form up the outside of the clay form that you have, dust it with talc, and  pour some plaster on top of it to get the portion of actual mould that you are making...  Let the plaster set.  Turn the whole thing over and remove the clay, and you should have a plaster cast of one half of your positive with a few alignment protrusions in it.  Dust with talc or coat with a soap releaser, form the top half,  and pour your plaster to make the top half of your mould.  Let set, and you should have a two piece mould.  Once you take it apart, you can remove the positive form, carve a place to pour your slip, wax, lead, etc...  Bind the two parts together and pour...
Once you have a workable system, you can make 5-10 positives from this mould and make another mould where you can repeat this to have a mass production mould so that you can cast 5-10 at a time.
My explanation is not perfect, and may be difficult to follow, but may give some direction to follow...
Hope that it helps...

(sound of tinkling glass)...  Damn!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 7:46am

hi sam - can you try and get your pics around the 800x600 mark.
I've resized the first 2 giant ones.
Check out the list of utilities at the top of the admin section and download photogadget resizer.

Other than that - great shots and very interesting Smiley
And is that a pool cue you're using for your staff sling ?

Good idea !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

sam harrison
Tiro

stone logistics

Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:05am

no problem i know how to resize before i upload now  Smiley

the pole is the first half of a sea fishing rod, its really light, decent handle, does the job really well!

IMG_1345.jpg (68 KB | )
IMG_1345.jpg

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 3:55am

Thanks for the improved photo. Looks good! It would be good if you could also post some closeups of the release loop etc. and the pouch and the exact measurements of cords.

Best of all would be a video on YouTube with a link posted here.

Thanks,

Aussie

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)