Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Teaching slinging at a primitive skills event (Read 4619 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Teaching slinging at a primitive skills event
May 16th, 2011 at 7:02am

Last weekend I was at Magna Carta field archery club in Surrey, southern England, for a primitive skills weekend and field archery shoot. On the Saturday I taught slinging to two large groups, around 25 people in total.

I taught the helicopter style with the 'one-two-throw' count. We were using tennis balls for safety. Three people graduated to 'live ammo' with two to three ounce stones while the rest of us used trees for cover. There were no misfires with the live ammo and lots of powerful slinging. The best of the day was a former school javelin champion. His throws were awesomely powerful 45 degree upward tree shredders. We werent able to throw for distance but he would have passed 100 meters by a large margin.

One useful technique for anyone struggling with the release timing was to do a couple of gentle underarm lobs. Everyone got that right instinctively and was then able to transition to the helicopter and get that right too.

The point I had to coach the most was to do gentle windup rotations held back behind the head. The common thing was to do large arm-waving rotations alongside the head. Once the rotations came from the wrist and were pulled further back, everyone got a powerful whipping shot.

I also taught these same groups to throw a tomahawk against the sawn end of a fallen tree. This was a lot of fun. Almost everyone managed to get it to stick after a few throws. If you havent tried tomahawks, look up some videos and give it a go, its a lot of fun.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Teaching slinging at a primitive skills event
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2011 at 7:14am

Cool Wink Cheesy Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2011 at 7:58am

WTG David!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2011 at 8:56am

Excellent !

so where's the pictures ?
There's no excuse I know you've always got your phone camera with you Smiley

And are you still stationed in the barbarian lands south of birmingham ?  

I suppose we really ought to have a bunch of business cards to give out at such events promoting the forum & site.
Hmm

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2011 at 9:54am

No pics, I was busy coaching slingers!  Tongue

I did tell people about slinging.org, business cards are a very good idea.  Just a black and white version of our logo and space for the slingers name too. I reckon if we got a version together and okayed by Chris it could be published in a shareable format where we could download them and get them printed off.   

I'm back in Manchester for now but this might be about to change....

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #5 - May 16th, 2011 at 10:06am

This business card idea is BRILLIANT! I was teaching some folks the basics a while back and it would have been great to have been able to hand out this forum's info.

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

utterbar
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2011 at 11:49am

Well, it works !
My son and I were two of David's guinea pigs at the primitive event in Surrey and enjoyed his teaching very much. Enough to inspire us to buy some leather on the day to make up some slings at home. Tennis ball ammo to start - not a problem as we live near Wimbledon.

I think the business card idea would be good. Maybe also a simple sheet with how to make a tennis ball sling to hand out.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - May 16th, 2011 at 1:20pm

Welcome to slinging.org! I'm glad you enjoyed that part of the day, I know I did  Grin

Have a look at the FAQ thread at the top of the forum, it has all our best links to tutorials, videos and the like.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2011 at 5:02pm

Good to know how to do it. Hmm, maybe I'll give a talk at a school or somethink.

IP Logged

Wayfarer
Descens

"Utrum per hebdomadem
perveniam"

Tampa, Florida
Reply #9 - May 18th, 2011 at 11:24am

If this business card idea is going anywhere, I would like to help design it Smiley

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2011 at 6:56pm

Awesome work David!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - May 19th, 2011 at 6:44am

well I've been thinking about a simple sheet with instructions and templates for a leather and paracord Six hole General purpose sling. The only bit of kit you'd need would be a hole punch - and most poundstores sell those.  
That could just be downloaded and either viewed as a pdf or printed out.

As far as cards go, have a go wayfarer and send me the template (I can open most formats).

Basically something pretty simple. www.slinging.org fairly prominent and a slinging logo.
I wasn't envisaging a whole lot of actual 'designing' Smiley

In fact - let's have us a competition.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

nemo
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2011 at 6:41pm

If you plan to come anywhere near Nottingham any time soon make sure to shout out. I am currently based here at the moment and have a few friends who also sling around the city. At present I am very busy with university work, but depending on how long you plan to be touring around it would be great to meet up for some slinging.

Infact if you are interested, a few of us plan to go to Rhudlan castle in north Wales in the last weekend of May. We will be taking part in a historical re-enactment, representing Dark Age Wales (Welsh vs. Saxon I think, or Viking). It was actually this show one year ago where I first tried slinging, after the battle we hung a shield upon a post by the earthern fort and had a 3 hour slinging contest trying to hit it (we were that good lol).
I dont know how long you plan to stay around, but that event could perhaps be interesting for you. If you are interested I could find out more details for you and hopefully see you there!

Nemo

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #13 - May 20th, 2011 at 3:36am

That might be do-able, get me the details!

[EDIT]

I have just looked it up - Abergele and Pensarn is where I did a lot of slinging practice a couple of years ago. There is a big pebble beach with lots of sand when the tide goes out. Its very quiet there.

I'm guessing this is your event?

The Siege of Rhuddlan AD 1075
28th & 30th May,
11:00am – 04:00pm

http://www.rhyl.com/rhuddlan.html

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #14 - May 20th, 2011 at 11:43am

It's a real cool thing you got going there David!  pls take some picture next time!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick)