Send Topic Print
another Bow (Read 11029 times)
rmiranda
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Netherlands
another Bow
May 10th, 2011 at 6:47am

Hi people, I just can't help but post my happy archery moments. See here, the "super athletic, enthousiastic, bajutsu star" (Ugh Ugh) Beau and me

archery2.jpg (116 KB | )
archery2.jpg

IP Logged

rmiranda
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Netherlands
Re: another Bow
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2011 at 6:47am

Oh and the results...

archery1.jpg (85 KB | )
archery1.jpg

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2011 at 9:09am

Deadly at 20 feet, loosing arrows at a full amble!  Grin

Still, lovely photos! I have seriously great respect for any martial arts done on horseback. Someday I'd like to have a go at longsword or wrestling a la Fiore (italian swordsmanship), it's just that doing all this stuff on my own two feet is difficult enough to deal with moving on a living platform.

See what I mean here:

http://youtu.be/-PQHR_SOPuw

this is done (for good reason), slowly and carefully. Imagine the torque at full tilt! Shocked

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2011 at 9:43am

Good shooting.  And you have to learn to walk before you can run.  How did you train the horse?  The one person I know who practices mounted archery says that a lot of horses will try to turn themselves inside out if you shoot off their backs.  And, is that a Greatree bow?  I have one, they are great bows.  Thanks for sharing.  Bill

IP Logged

rmiranda
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2011 at 9:44am

Hahaha cool! too bad we don't have anough places where they teach these sports:(
Any Dutch people with crazy horse ambitions?

anyhing in this area perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnlsBCtA5P8&feature=autoplay&list=PL7A798AEE5CD1A...

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #5 - May 10th, 2011 at 10:41am

Umm,

ever heard of Zwaardkring? I don't know if they do horsey stuff but they are in Holland.

http://www.zwaardkring.nl/

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2011 at 11:47am

This is one of our members doing horseback atlatl: http://www.youtube.com/user/4hedgesfamily#g/u

Given that the bow was invented before the horse was domesticated, he is possibly the first person in the entire human race to have tried this!  Grin

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2011 at 2:33pm

Cool horse archer pictures, rmiranda.  And nice horse, in a ...robust way.

snowcelt, I have never thought about mounted wrestling before, but now Im aware of it itīs obvious that horsemen sometimes had to fight like that.
timann

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2011 at 2:48pm

Very cool pictures, rmiranda.  Your horse is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - May 10th, 2011 at 4:29pm

And you, Rachel, are beautiful too  Smiley
(sorry boys, but everyone was celebrating the horse...)

Anyway, shooting on a horseback is one of the hardest things I've ever tried! My teacher was a foul, capable of hitting a target at his back, while the horse was running!
He told me that all the secret was to shoot while the horse had all of his legs above the ground, still he was simply too good for me!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

rmiranda
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2011 at 2:57am

Hi,

Thanks Mauro! Btw this is not my horse, it's my friends. I have 2 painthorses, but they're too young to use for archery on horseback.
Thanks for the tip about how to shoot, I'm going to try that next time!!!

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #11 - May 11th, 2011 at 4:57am

А short video of bulgarian horseback archery http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxvQsZGIhQ&feature=player_embedded

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #12 - May 11th, 2011 at 7:29am

I was reading Conn Iggulden's series recently on Genghis Khan and it mentioned that a group of horsemen archers would release a hail of arrows at full gallop when the horse has all four feet in the air. They were described as standing and steering with their knees. i guess they had stirrups then as I could imagine this would be extremely difficult if you didn't.

That was a really good video Dilyan!  Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - May 11th, 2011 at 7:29am

Hallo Rachel,
no problem for the tip, unfortunately that archer lives about 500kms from me, and I can't see him very often  Sad
But another archer (my medieval archeology teacher, and the president of my medieval archery's company) taught me how to shoot in many different positions: from the back, lying with my back on the ground, with obstacles between me and the target... and so on!
I could try to share this knowledge, if you're interested, even if it's a bit hard to do that via web  Smiley

Anyway, the 9th and 10th of July, we're going to commemorate a siege. The context is a National Park, in which, during 5 ages of researches, we've found about 36 castles, dating from Xth to XIVth Century, and we're going to use one of them as a background. If you're planning a trip to Italy, give it a try, we're going to shoot at long distances (180 meters maximum) against pottery, and it should be funny!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

rmiranda
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #14 - May 11th, 2011 at 9:23am

WOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I... will comment later when my brain is working again!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus)