Send Topic Print
Ayla's double shots (Read 10911 times)
Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Re: Ayla's double shots
Reply #15 - May 11th, 2011 at 6:28pm

paracordslinger wrote on May 11th, 2011 at 5:27pm:
it would not be hard for me to put 5-6 stones in the air witha hard sidearm and my long sling

It would not be hard, or it is not hard? Have you actually done it?

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #16 - May 11th, 2011 at 8:11pm

paracordslinger wrote on May 11th, 2011 at 5:27pm:
it would not be hard for me to put 5-6 stones in the air witha hard sidearm and my long sling

So, you can throw  ~1 stone/second? That's pretty quick...(skeptical look)

John R.

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #17 - May 11th, 2011 at 10:31pm

my rocks go so far i cannot see them any more. i sling golf ball sized rocks for distance

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #18 - May 12th, 2011 at 1:44am

The original question was about Ayla's, "double shot". In the story she kills the marauding wolverine with it and sees the two wounds inflicted by the two separate stones. What she allegedly does is akin to two quick shots fired from a pistol. This is clearly a fiction as repeat slinging is not going to be ever faster than repeat throwing by hand, as both loading the sling and recovering the release cord do take some small finite time.

From the videos above it appears that 5 seconds between shots is quite realistic and a really practised slinger may perhaps as much as halve this. So with very high lofted underarm shots a slinger could possibly have three stones airborne simultaneously. However such a trick shot would be just that, a trick shot; not really useful at all.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #19 - May 12th, 2011 at 8:05am

Yurek wrote on May 11th, 2011 at 4:37pm:
I did a try of two slings at once today, but only once and stones were rough. They went in different directions - too much. The slings were exactly of the same length and they didn't get tangled despite of multi windups. I use a wide grip so the retention and release cords were separated. I think your double sling works better. Probably tying of the retention cords together just near the pouches could help.

That sounds like a good idea. Or unifying the two retention cords by wrapping them with a string from the loops to the pouches. If the cords are not too thick each, it might work out pretty well. There could be a certain loss of momentum due to the tying or wrapping compared to one single retention cord for both releases, though.

Well, only an experiment can show.  Smiley

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #20 - May 15th, 2011 at 10:50am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=966tyGsqgEc&feature=BFa&list=PL7BBD90FF21246461&i...

Just about as fast as I can sling.  I can do a bit faster now.  My best can get to 2 second a shot.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - May 15th, 2011 at 3:31pm

I saw the video already once.
Am still impressed about the speed of the shooting.
I did not try it up to now yet in this kind.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #22 - May 16th, 2011 at 2:54pm

I havnt tried speed slinging yet but after seeing it done i may have to give it a try  Wink

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #23 - May 19th, 2011 at 3:46am

David Morningstar wrote on May 7th, 2011 at 10:18pm:
This is as quick as it gets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSslvqt_cis#t=1m42s

He has another ball ready in is off hand and catches the pouch around it after the first throw, grabs the release cord and throws again.

Thank you lots, Tint and David.  I've been wanting to see this done for a while.

As for the book, it might be possible to throw (by hand) a stone in the air, have it catch in the pouch and grab the cord, without stopping the spin, if you were a master juggler.  However, throwing the stone with useful force itself interrupts the spin, because you make a motion when you throw.  You don't just spin it at the target -- that won't hurt anyone. So "no" is my vote too.

Oh and I'm on Tint's team if a sling war breaks out.

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

rmiranda
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #24 - May 20th, 2011 at 3:07am

Hi guys,

thanks for al the replies. Tint you are really good!!!
I also like this guy someone mentioned before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSslvqt_cis#t=1m42s
look at 1:42 min.

Super guys!!!

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #25 - May 20th, 2011 at 11:10am

Thanks for the kind words, Miranda, slingingrat and Jeegoor.  I am the guy in both videos.  The one without the pouch was filmed in 2006.  It took me a while to realize using a pouch to hold the ammo allow me to repeat fire more than two shots.  Embarrassed

fattybones, You can be my teammate anytime  Wink.  let's get Timann on board too!  His reloading technique with the figure 8 style is genius!   There is another member here, magnumslinger, who inspired me to sling fast.  He had a thread about rapid fire with a video of him slinging but I can't find it now somehow.

I have to agree that the Clan of the Great Bear books were badly researched as far as using the sling is concern.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - May 21st, 2011 at 3:44am

Hi Tint,

Yesterday I also have myself once in the quick one shoot skilledly. It works very well. Will soon make once a video.
Thank you for the idea.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #27 - May 21st, 2011 at 6:28am

Tint wrote on May 20th, 2011 at 11:10am:
I have to agree that the Clan of the Great Bear books were badly researched as far as using the sling is concern.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #28 - May 23rd, 2011 at 11:31am

Aussie wrote on May 21st, 2011 at 6:28am:
Tint wrote on May 20th, 2011 at 11:10am:

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I don`t read it as too exagregated, the reloading/double shot is described as similar to the Tint method with just a couple of stones picked up from the ammo pouch with the off hand, and Forsyth claimed Apache Grandfather was as accurate as Ayla.

Tint, thanks.  I would happily join the team Wink
My method is incredibly natural and easy, when using figure8 and loading the ammo with the slinging hand it`s in fact impossible not to do it. Aussie does the same in his video, sans the waist pouch, but the ammo should be as close at hand and accessible as possible.  
Then it is just to to practice a lot to get rid of hesitation, fumbling and superfluous movements (zen, empty mind, whaddayacallitt Cheesy)
I focus on smoot and efficient, I prefer not to rush and hurry, as I`ll not let my accuracy (as it is) decrease in favor of speed.
timann

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #29 - May 23rd, 2011 at 12:24pm

I read one of the Cave Bear books many years ago, and the major impression I got was that from the way Ayla invented stuff by the time she retired she might have had a working electic elevator. She was a paleo-daVinci except her stuff actually (in the books as opposed to real-life) worked.

Very empowering to female readers, I suppose, and that was the target audience.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)