Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
what good is a bowie knife? (Read 22567 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: what good is a bowie knife?
Reply #30 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:27pm

Rat Man wrote on May 22nd, 2011 at 1:47pm:
Though the Kukri knife looks very formidible, and this is just me, for fighting I prefer something that is double edged.  Why not have the ability to cut on the way back too?  Everyone is different.

well, in recent times the kurkri has been used in combat in more theatres of war than any other knife. It has proved itself and the men who bear them, time and time and time again and I for one would not want to face a gurkha with his blood up, coming at me with a kurkri. (or astick of celery for that matter)

It is a superb general purpose tool - but it's the men who made them famous that make all the difference.  Toughest infantry in the world - bar none.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #31 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:37pm

I like the USMC infantry better  Smiley,  the Germans in world war 1 named em devil dogs I believe if Im not mistaken,  and they were killin em at about 800 yards more or less with iron sighted .30-06 springfields in a few battles.  And the Ka-Bar knife my favorite blade despite its weak pin like tang,  which is the only thing that needs improvement I think idk...

IP Logged

fletch_man

When the Guns are Gone

Reply #32 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:17pm

Knives are absolutely the hottest and most contentious issue there is.  If you carry and use a knife regularly you will generally gravitate to a smaller package, and usually a folder at that.  Remember that with the advent of a reliable revolver, the Bowie Knife went the way of the Dinosaur.  There are no "Knife Fights" only "Knife Attacks" and usually they're small so as to be more concealable.  There are current instructors in the new wave of boutique-ish self defense/tactical schools that advocate blade work, and again, it's geared toward a small folder in most cases.  Even the old mountain men usually carried only butcher knives that were available at the time and discarded them at the end of trapping seasons due to excessive wear and sharpening.  Think about it like this:  You would never carry and use a bigger, longer or heavier sling than what you could hit with efficiently.  Same with knives.  Use one a lot and it will become apparent what your needs are.  Although, you're right about the mystique of the Bowie Knife.  A little piece of history dating back to when men were the masters of their own destiny..........

I am not The Word&&   I am the parchment on which&&      The Word is written

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #33 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 10:58am

Bill Skinner wrote on May 24th, 2011 at 8:30pm:
I bow hunt hogs on foot.  Every now and then, one will try to bite you.  Something like a large bowie could come in handy.  Where little hunts, there are things with claws and big teeth, I can see where having a bowie on you beats the hell out of having your rifle leaning on a rock 10 paces away while you quarter a caribou.  Bill

I first read that 'I bow hunt frogs on foot'.  I hope I never meet the frog that makes be want to carry a bowie knife...   Shocked

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Arthur the great
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #34 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 5:12pm

Jabames wrote on May 10th, 2011 at 3:22pm:
 I dont think theres anythin more temptin to obama to give us more restrictive weapons laws

i agree obama would love nothing more than to restrict our freedoms expeacialy weapons

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 5:43pm

Naive...Why on earth would Obama want to take away your pea shooters...? They apparently give you the illusion of freedom, it would be quite stupid of him to take that away now wouldn´t it.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #36 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 10:02pm

Obie hasn't made a move toward gun control that I've seen. Both Clinton and Carter made stabs at it.

I'd say that the religious right has more of an agenda toward limiting freedoms than the left. Just depends on which freedoms you're talking about.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #37 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 1:28pm

Jabames wrote on Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:37pm:
I like the USMC infantry better  Smiley,  the Germans in world war 1 named em devil dogs I believe if Im not mistaken,  and they were killin em at about 800 yards more or less with iron sighted .30-06 springfields in a few battles.  And the Ka-Bar knife my favorite blade despite its weak pin like tang,  which is the only thing that needs improvement I think idk...

Hoorah.. Former USMC myself. The name "devil dogs"comes from The Battle of the Ardennes, WWI. The Marine first division went into the woods outnumbered by Germans when French and British troops had retreated outta those woods time and again. The German troops were overwhelmed at the marksmanship and the tenacity of the Marines. The Germans nicknamed the marines "Teufelhunden" (not sure how to spell that) or Devil Dogs.  I carry my k-bar every time i go into the woods. That knife has served me truly well both as a marine and as a civilian. can-opener, skinning knife, wood splitter, self defense, etc...etc...etc....  I wouldn't worry about the tang. i have seen k-bar's take serious abuse. run over by tanks and such. Various camp tools are handy when specialized for their intended purposes. If you have to go into the field with one tool, a good stout knife (bowie or k-bar or whatever else as long as it's good quality) is the way to go.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #38 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 1:39pm

leadrocks wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 1:28pm:
Jabames wrote on Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:37pm:
I like the USMC infantry better  Smiley,  the Germans in world war 1 named em devil dogs I believe if Im not mistaken,  and they were killin em at about 800 yards more or less with iron sighted .30-06 springfields in a few battles.  And the Ka-Bar knife my favorite blade despite its weak pin like tang,  which is the only thing that needs improvement I think idk...

Hoorah.. Former USMC myself. The name "devil dogs"comes from The Battle of the Ardennes, WWI. The Marine first division went into the woods outnumbered by Germans when French and British troops had retreated outta those woods time and again. The German troops were overwhelmed at the marksmanship and the tenacity of the Marines. The Germans nicknamed the marines "Teufelhunden" (not sure how to spell that) or Devil Dogs.  I carry my k-bar every time i go into the woods. That knife has served me truly well both as a marine and as a civilian. can-opener, skinning knife, wood splitter, self defense, etc...etc...etc....  I wouldn't worry about the tang. i have seen k-bar's take serious abuse. run over by tanks and such. Various camp tools are handy when specialized for their intended purposes. If you have to go into the field with one tool, a good stout knife (bowie or k-bar or whatever else as long as it's good quality) is the way to go.

Must be my mistake then,  I've only seen with rarity some ka-bars that have broken on youtube  Cheesy

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #39 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 2:39pm

here's a few pics of mine.
shot of the tang at the bottom, dime shown for size reference.

tangresize.jpg (71 KB | )
tangresize.jpg

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #40 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 2:40pm

knife out of sheath, some minor wear to the finish, but still in darn good shape considering what it's been through.

kbar1resize.jpg (100 KB | )
kbar1resize.jpg

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #41 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 2:41pm

in the sheath, love the eagle, globe, and anchor logo on it.

kbar2resize.jpg (107 KB | )
kbar2resize.jpg

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #42 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 2:51pm

Nice knife,  have the same model my self.

IP Logged

thabaill
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #43 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 8:26am

Hello

What do you think about Musso Bowie knife?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Nefarioso/Album2/threeknives.jpg

It is the biggest one down in the pic.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #44 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 8:32am

HurlinThom wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 10:02pm:
Obie hasn't made a move toward gun control that I've seen. Both Clinton and Carter made stabs at it.

I'd say that the religious right has more of an agenda toward limiting freedoms than the left. Just depends on which freedoms you're talking about.

+1

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man)