Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
what good is a bowie knife? (Read 22793 times)
timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: what good is a bowie knife?
Reply #15 - May 11th, 2011 at 10:55am

Quote:
Rat Man wrote on May 10th, 2011 at 2:52pm:
I've always preferred a large knife.  I can't explain it, and no, it doesn't make up for an inadequacy elsewhere, kuggur.    

Huh? Where did I imply that ?!

You did not.  But then, we all know why some people carry big knives Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - May 12th, 2011 at 9:06am

Quote:
I've always preferred a large knife.  I can't explain it, and no, it doesn't make up for an inadequacy elsewhere, kuggur.    

You did not imply it, but admit it... it's the first thing you though of!  lol

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 12th, 2011 at 10:26am

Rat Man wrote on May 12th, 2011 at 9:06am:
You did not imply it, but admit it... it's the first thing you though of!  lol

Eh, no actually...but I do find it interesting that it is the thing you felt the need to deny..... Grin

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - May 16th, 2011 at 8:50am

I always understood it was a multi purpose knife.
Although got to admit it's a much better fighting knife. And there really is no other purpose to having a clip point blade than stabbing someone.

I suppose if you want the ultimate multi purpose knife then you've got to have a kurkri Smiley
Anything from spokeshave to axe to serious fighting knife - kurkri's are about as versatile as it gets.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #19 - May 16th, 2011 at 1:56pm

Wouldn't know anything about that...........

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 16th, 2011 at 8:50am:
I always understood it was a multi purpose knife.
Although got to admit it's a much better fighting knife. And there really is no other purpose to having a clip point blade than stabbing someone.

I suppose if you want the ultimate multi purpose knife then you've got to have a kurkri Smiley
Anything from spokeshave to axe to serious fighting knife - kurkri's are about as versatile as it gets.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - May 22nd, 2011 at 1:47pm

Though the Kukri knife looks very formidible, and this is just me, for fighting I prefer something that is double edged.  Why not have the ability to cut on the way back too?  Everyone is different.

KukriKnife.jpg (45 KB | )
KukriKnife.jpg

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - May 22nd, 2011 at 4:35pm

Bowie knives are designed for fighting and therfore work best at just that. For woods knives I would suggest somthing more along the lines of a clip point. My prefed knife in the woods is my mora this along with my trail hawk can pretty much take on any large or small chore without to much effort or bulk.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #22 - May 23rd, 2011 at 10:35pm

Dan wrote on May 22nd, 2011 at 4:35pm:
Bowie knives are designed for fighting and therfore work best at just that. For woods knives I would suggest somthing more along the lines of a clip point. My prefed knife in the woods is my mora this along with my trail hawk can pretty much take on any large or small chore without to much effort or bulk.

Bowies have a clip point...

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - May 24th, 2011 at 8:30pm

I bow hunt hogs on foot.  Every now and then, one will try to bite you.  Something like a large bowie could come in handy.  Where little hunts, there are things with claws and big teeth, I can see where having a bowie on you beats the hell out of having your rifle leaning on a rock 10 paces away while you quarter a caribou.  Bill

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #24 - May 24th, 2011 at 8:49pm

haha i know I was black bear hunting once,  me and my hunting partner were setting up the tree stands,  we heard noise behind us,  boyy we picked up our guns pretty quick n had them ready,  turns out it twas just a squirrel but they sound big tho,  but yeah we even heard a huge bear walkin around us,  we didnt even see it,  they're like the ninjas of the woods even though grizzlies/brown bears can get pretty huge,  moose can walk right up to you with out even making a noise soo yeah a good knife is good for security,  when I tink of it I didnt have a knife on me,  i kept it in my pack.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - May 26th, 2011 at 8:28am

Thunder Chief wrote on May 23rd, 2011 at 10:35pm:
Dan wrote on May 22nd, 2011 at 4:35pm:

Bowies have a clip point...

Yes but the back of the blade is sharpened therefore making it a bowie point (I think) perhaps a drop point was a better term. I pesonally would feel okay defending myself with my tomahawk and just carry my mora for small things like field dressing and whittleing. I know back in the early frontier days (before the "Wild West" in the 1800s) tomahawks were used for combat much more than knives due to the added reach and also that most fighting styles then relied on brute force. And concealability wasn't an issue cause' everyone carried weapons.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #26 - May 26th, 2011 at 10:07am

Bowies may have a clip point (looks like some of the blade has been clipped off at the tip). They almost always have a swedge (sharpened edge along part of the back of the blade), though most clip points only have a false edge (the clip isn't sharpened). The first Bowie was shaped like a broken back seax or a butcher knife with a swedge (more like a sheepsfoot type blade). Later versions of the bowie knife made for Jim Bowie had more and more of a clip point, though Searles Bowies are known for being a normal blade (straight spine with the blade curving up to meet it like a chefs knife) with a swedge.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #27 - May 26th, 2011 at 10:29am

if i had a choice of any knife in the world, it would be a 6 in folding doble edger. fancy term for: butterfly knife

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

johnwayne11
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 11:23am

PREFED my knife in the woods is my fault that my falcon tracks may well take on a task large or small, without much work or in bulk.

BBCode Link editted out of the signature by Masiakasaurus.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:23pm

Quote:

lol you didn't - it's a joke Smiley

One way you can tell afighting knife is by the fact that the oval guard between the blade and handle is made of brass.
This is because brass is softer than steel so you can use it to trap the edge of an opponents knife - if you're skilled enough. The steel will bite into the brass and give the defendant purchase on the other blade.

Battoning is mainly used in survival situations where you can just carry a good knife and not also need a hatchet.

Of course the only 'proper' bowie knives are made from ultra hard meteorite iron, like the original supposedly was   Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris)