Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
what good is a bowie knife? (Read 22568 times)
Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
what good is a bowie knife?
May 7th, 2011 at 1:23am

I just bought a moderately sized bowie knife from wal-mart today,  low-priced,  but I heard some good reviews aboot it,  its adequate enough,  but the handle material is cheap.  Its called the Winchester Bowie,  it feels good and sturdy and it probably wont let me down as long as I dont abuse it,  like battoning which I dont like people using a knife like that or somethin
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2011 at 3:04am by Jabames »  

bowie.jpg (5 KB | )
bowie.jpg

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Re: what good is a bowie knife?
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2011 at 10:07am

As to the "usefulness" of such knives.... Bowies are purpose-built fighting weapons intended to be heavy enough and properly shaped for slashing, yet still allow thrusting.

The large guard (often built as "lugged" for trapping another blade) is a clue.... renders the blade rather awkward for more domestic chores.
Most all contemporary "fighting" or "tactical" knives are either a variation of the Bowie design or are straightforward stilleto-thrusting designs.

A big one would make a passable machete, but that's likely abuse.   The cheap Pakistani-made models make good throwing knives when you strip off all the hardware.  Or you can just throw it till it all falls off....

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2011 at 1:33pm

I don´t like the bowie type generally, like said in the post above, impractically big knifes. It´s a knife for fighting, and if I´d feel I´d need to carry that kind of hardware for self defense I would personally choose something else.

As for the quality of the knife you bought, the fact that it was cheap does not necessarily mean it is bad quality; hardening and tempering a good steel is not expensive (the knifes I like best and carry on me at all times are cheap and good, mora and opinel).

But if you ask me "what good is a bowie knife" I´d answer "not very".

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2011 at 11:13am

What's batonning ?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - May 8th, 2011 at 12:07pm

Beating on the back or tip of a knife blade with a lump of wood, usually for splitting firewood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlhXuweBj4

Its fairly abusive so you need a tough knife to do it with.

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #5 - May 8th, 2011 at 2:32pm

Quote:
I don´t like the bowie type generally, like said in the post above, impractically big knifes. It´s a knife for fighting, and if I´d feel I´d need to carry that kind of hardware for self defense I would personally choose something else.

As for the quality of the knife you bought, the fact that it was cheap does not necessarily mean it is bad quality; hardening and tempering a good steel is not expensive (the knifes I like best and carry on me at all times are cheap and good, mora and opinel).

But if you ask me "what good is a bowie knife" I´d answer "not very".

By this criterion, you might ask "What good is a sharp longsword?" or "what good is a sling?" Ultimately a tool is designed to do a job of work. It is possible to do courses to learn to fight with a bowie knife as that was what it was used for as well as being a general purpose cutting/thrusting weapon, much like the modern machete. Such courses can be even more fun if you learn to use the bowie in one hand and a tomahawk in the other! Obviously you'd use a blunt for training but you could try practice cutting with a sharp version on tatami or pool noodles or water bottles. As stated above there are also incorrect ways to use such a knife but you can still have fun with it.

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #6 - May 9th, 2011 at 12:32am

You can learn to do most camp chores with a Bowie knife (just as you can with a small hatchet), but some things will be harder. A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away they were general utility knives as well as fighting knives. I have one that I like to use for camping that is probably too small to really be called a bowie but it's just big enough that I don't worry about bending or rolling the blade. With a bowie knife and a pen knife you can do more than with just a normal sized knife, but I'm not sure you'll ever be in a situation where a bowie is necessary.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - May 9th, 2011 at 8:24pm

maybe for roughing out wood shapes? i used a cleaver for my bow, and i could cut out the shape in 30 minutes or so, hacking out the shape, then using a smaller knife to carve closer in. the bowie knife is a little thicker and not as wide, but it might work.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2011 at 9:05pm

snowcelt wrote on May 8th, 2011 at 2:32pm:
By this criterion, you might ask "What good is a sharp longsword?" or "what good is a sling?" Ultimately a tool is designed to do a job of work. .

Well, you kinda illustrate my point. Both a longsword and a sling are pretty useless tools for me, for obvious reasons.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - May 10th, 2011 at 2:52pm

I've always preferred a large knife.  I can't explain it, and no, it doesn't make up for an inadequacy elsewhere, kuggur.    I've just always preferred the feel of a bigger blade.  I can't be alone in that they make so darned many of them.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #10 - May 10th, 2011 at 2:57pm

ha after handling this knife for a few days all my other knives feel too small hhaha

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - May 10th, 2011 at 3:14pm

Around town, like when dog walking, you just can't carry a big blade.  The cops would undoubtly frown on it.  When camping or fishing, however, I always carry a big survival knife.  I think that the blade is 9".  I just like the feel better than my smaller knives I guess.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #12 - May 10th, 2011 at 3:22pm

around heres i dont think theres any law against carrying a big blade unless ur in a bank or somethin like that,  you can basically walk into a safeway store with a holstered pistol or somethin like that,  I dont think theres anythin more temptin to obama to give us more restrictive weapons laws

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #13 - May 10th, 2011 at 3:47pm

When the knife becomes big enough one may need a small knife beside it for small work and the weight and bulk may compare to a small axe (hatchet/tomahawk/whatewer) which for many tasks often performs better than a big knife.
Then it comes down to personal needs and preferances.

Myself I have far too often been out there with a small and big knife, and an axe Cheesy.  And then the big knife is not used a lot.

Fortunately I got some light but very practical and useful 8 and 9" Same knives for when I insist on carry a big knife Smiley.

I can therefore leave the big and heavy knives at home when the urge comes. 

As long as bear defence is not an issue a small folding saw usually outperforms any big knife or an axe anyway for camping use Sad.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 10th, 2011 at 8:15pm

Rat Man wrote on May 10th, 2011 at 2:52pm:
I've always preferred a large knife.  I can't explain it, and no, it doesn't make up for an inadequacy elsewhere, kuggur.    

Huh? Where did I imply that ?!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man)