Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Catapult-a history (Read 6807 times)
White Tiger
Tiro

long is the way, and hard...

auckland
The Catapult-a history
Apr 28th, 2011 at 3:18am

At the risk of speaking out of turn, i recently skimmed(please note) through Tracy Rihll's book, The Catapult- A history, and unless i have misread, the author, who openly quotes slinging.org positively Smiley, has some very interesting counterpoints to what is generally considered slinging history. for instance, she notes that slings cannot normally produce enough energy to pierce skin (slings generally reach 31m/s and for a blunt object to pierce skin is generally 49m/s pg 100-101) so why are there writings of a medical implement for removing "sling shot" from human bodies? and later in the book-i forget where, notes that as lead glandes where in specific size/weight categories, and some are to large to sling it seems logical they where intended for catapults-from handheld to ballistae size. Considering the assumption that glandes where found stockpiled in fortresses that would severly hamper a slinger-of any style-catapults of some sort would make more sense. Also, generally speaking, slingers in the day were considered in the lower echelons, and how many armies would pay the huge amounts for such beautifully cast sling ammo(as is often found by eagle eyed collectors)with inscriptions? surely it makes more sense that expensive ammo that would need a vague skill to produce (more than collecting smooth stones) would be  the more suited to a war engine that could puncture skin and cause violent injuries? also another point that strikes me as interesting is the "rifled" spin that can be imparted on a ellipsoidal projectile with a sling(i have managed this regularly Wink) but how could this be done with say-a bullet firing crossbow?the more i think about it, the more it brings up questions. has any one read this book properly, and am i missing something here?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: The Catapult-a history
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 5:19am

She is talking tripe... Xenophon and Celsus both completely refute her case. I am fairly sure Julius Caesars account of the conquest of Gaul also mentions lead bullets from slingers penetrating the bodies of Gaulish warriors.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 6:40am

David Morningstar wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 5:19am:
She is talking tripe... Xenophon and Celsus both completely refute her case. I am fairly sure Julius Caesars account of the conquest of Gaul also mentions lead bullets from slingers penetrating the bodies of Gaulish warriors.

yep.

Also the spin does not need to be that much. Coupled with the forward momentun and shape a very slow rotation would still help to tear a hole in material and skin. Once the skin is breached the missile has a fairly easy path.

Think of a carpenters brace and a modern drill. Both do the same job, one turns at 1000's of rpm. One turns at about 20 rpm. Both can drill holes with the same drill bits.

Who would take the time to make well made slig bullets - how about the slingers themselves.

Sounds like she's definitely talking out of her fundament.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 7:45am

Ms. Rihil's writings have been dicussed at length previously in other threads. I haven't read her material myself but the assertion of 31 m/s for a slung projectile is without doubt far too low as any decent cricketer or baseballer can exceed that by hand alone. A competent slinger will readily double that speed, and more.

You make a very valid point regarding rifle spin; easy to achieve with a sling but I can't imagine how it could be done with a catapult.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 8:08am

White Tiger wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 3:18am:
At the risk of speaking out of turn, i recently skimmed(please note) through Tracy Rihll's book, The Catapult- A history, and unless i have misread, the author, who openly quotes slinging.org positively Smiley, has some very interesting counterpoints to what is generally considered slinging history. for instance, she notes that slings cannot normally produce enough energy to pierce skin (slings generally reach 31m/s and for a blunt object to pierce skin is generally 49m/s pg 100-101) so why are there writings of a medical implement for removing "sling shot" from human bodies? and later in the book-i forget where, notes that as lead glandes where in specific size/weight categories, and some are to large to sling it seems logical they where intended for catapults-from handheld to ballistae size. Considering the assumption that glandes where found stockpiled in fortresses that would severly hamper a slinger-of any style-catapults of some sort would make more sense. Also, generally speaking, slingers in the day were considered in the lower echelons, and how many armies would pay the huge amounts for such beautifully cast sling ammo(as is often found by eagle eyed collectors)with inscriptions? surely it makes more sense that expensive ammo that would need a vague skill to produce (more than collecting smooth stones) would be  the more suited to a war engine that could puncture skin and cause violent injuries? also another point that strikes me as interesting is the "rifled" spin that can be imparted on a ellipsoidal projectile with a sling(i have managed this regularly Wink) but how could this be done with say-a bullet firing crossbow?the more i think about it, the more it brings up questions. has any one read this book properly, and am i missing something here?

I've read her book fairly thoroughly since it was brought up in the forum some years ago, by Thearos, I think.

As you say, she cites the forum, but is highly selective in doing so. Her thesis that hand thrown sling bullets cannot cause the injuries described in historical conflicts is on very shaky ground- close to complete nonsense!

You also make exactly the point which immediately occurred to me, and which she never attempts to answer, which is the method of applying rifle spin to the bullet in a mechanical device. It seems she may assume no such spin was applied.

Although there was some useful information in the book, her arguments that small catapults must have caused the injuries attributed to slings are very unsatisfactory.

The sling velocities quoted by her (30-33m/s I think) are complete nonsense, coming from the Thom Richardson article, where I believe measurements were made under less than ideal circumstances. A little bit of (very) basic physics should have made that clear, and such has been well known to members of this forum for some time. A sling bullet is not blunt, and the hand thrown velocities were likely to have been of the order of 50m/s or more, I would guess.

Perhaps as a corollary, slings were used in many other parts of the world other than within Greek and Roman military conflict, and have been regarded pretty much universally as weapons to be feared.

I'm not arguing that small mechanical 'stone throwers' may not have existed, but she fails to make her case that only they could have caused the injuries attributed to slings in ancient battle. It also strikes me that such devices would be extremely costly to make and maintain, and the numbers of such devices compared with the number of available slingers was likely rather small.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:00am

Where is she getting 49 m/s as the velocity required to pierce skin? For some reason that strikes me as being low, and not necessarily being a uniform measure. Shouldn't heavier projectiles require less velocity? Why are there few (or no) surviving examples or depictions of handheld stone throwers before medieval times? Larger stone ballistae were designed to lob stone in high arcs like a mortar, but I've never seen any evidence that the technology to do this was shrunken down to handheld size in the same way that bolt firing ballistae were.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 3:02pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:00am:
Where is she getting 49 m/s as the velocity required to pierce skin? For some reason that strikes me as being low, and not necessarily being a uniform measure.

Don't remember the reference off-hand Smiley, but I seem to remember it comes from a medical journal...

Quote:
Larger stone ballistae were designed to lob stone in high arcs like a mortar, but I've never seen any evidence that the technology to do this was shrunken down to handheld size in the same way that bolt firing ballistae were.

Projection is based largely on the size of a bronze (I think) ring which is a critical component for the devices. There are scaling rules in the contemporary military engineering sources allowing prediction of small sized catapults where you find small rings (sort of washer things, really) - don't remember the details exactly, but it didn't seem that far fetched.

When I get home I'll check the details Smiley

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 11:42pm

Firstly, it's obvious that her figure for slingstone velocity is totally wack. A number of baseball pitchers exceed that figure by 50% or more (100 miles per hour equals about 44.5 meters per second, and some pitchers exceed that). And if you can't beat that with a sling, what's the use of using one?

Regarding measurements for catapults, there was a set of proportions based on the weight of the item to be thrown (measured in talents, 27 pounds per). The ring was called a modiolus, and determined the diameter of the torsion bundle. The formula gave the diameter and length of the bundle and the length of the arms. Torsion is not my field, but there may be different proportions for stone throwers and dart throwers. I'd imagine that very few darts would weight even one talent, though.

In case anyone wants to see a modern ballista, look here.

http://www.siege-engine.com/MistaBallista.shtml

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

White Tiger
Tiro

auckland
Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 3:30am

wow! Awesome response guys , thank you for all the posts! As Wanderer  and Masiakasaurus noted she repeatedly mentions small handheld catapults, though no evidence of such things have been found (including our clearest window to the past, paintings and illustrations) also,it seems unlikely that any army would be able to make so many of such devices, not to mention the maintenance and skill required to use them consistently. at one point she mentions the pock marked stone walls of a certain city/fortress( I Forget) and stating that no sling could cause such damage, though i with very moderate skill, easily chip out chunks of concrete from precast walls (the industrial stuff) with Aggregate stone. I highly doubt a lot of what is written more and more so.  Undecided

IP Logged

White Tiger
Tiro

auckland
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 3:49am

from the website     http://www.chrisharrison.net/projects/sling/index.html

Even with simple ammunition, the sling was surprisingly effective. Slingers could achieve faster “muzzle” velocities than archers, and their projectiles suffered less air resistance during flight than arrows, conserving more kinetic energy until impact. An experienced slinger could throw projectiles at speeds over 90m/s, while the longbow could fire arrows upwards of 60m/s (Gabriel, 1991; Richardson, 1998a). When projectile masses were equal, the 50% speed advantage of the sling equates to a 125% increase in kinetic energy (because the velocity value is squared). Despite this, the penetration of an arrow was still greater because the tip is roughly 24 times smaller than the side of a typical, spherical sling projectile. The impact force of a sling projectile was applied to a larger area during contact, making it unlikely to penetrate flesh, though the collision could cause internal bleeding and even crush bones (Ferrill, 1985; Grunfeld, 1996). Historical demonstrations of this power have crept into literature, providing unique, first-hand accounts of professional slingers in action. For example, during the Spanish conquest of the Aztec empire in the 15th century, an observer recorded that an Andean slinger could shatter Spanish swords or kill a horse in a single hit (Kormann, 1973; Wise, 1980). Vegetius, a Roman writer in the late 4th century, observed in his famous Epitoma Rei Militaris:

90 m/s=324 kph= Schweet!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 5:02am

Yes, it's been discussed before; I've raised the issue a number of times. Rihll's arguments aren't all very good. Xenophon is explicitly about the use of lead bullets by slingers. (Caesar does not mention lead bullets entering the bodies of Celts; that's Livy on the battle of 189 BC-- I've also mentioned this elsewhere on the forum; Rihll has to argue that it's hand held catapults, which is unlikely at that date).

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 7:17am

Is doesnt make sense to me for this simple point: Why would you shoot something soft and blunt when you can shoot something hard and sharp at the same speed?

For beating down fortified wall, yes, you would use a stone ball from a big siege engine because these are cheap and you will need a lot of them, but for a one-shot kill antipersonnel weapon, a crossbow bolt has to be better than a lead bullet, even if you could deliver that bullet point first from a hand-ballista, which she has not demonstrated.

Small torsion crossbows are perfectly feasable and quite possibly cheaper to make and maintain than a horn/sinew composite bow of equivalent power. But the best projectile for such a weapon is a bolt, not a bullet.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #12 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 8:09am

For Masia... Smiley
The reference to velocities for sling penetration etc.

M. Belkin, Wound Ballistics. Progress in Surgery , 16 (1978), 7-24.

I can't find my copy (but hardly a gripping read from my recollection). Rihil also gives a source for a formula (but doesn't give the formula herself) to a book:

Sellier & Kneubuehl, Wound Ballistics and the Scientific Background, Elsevier. 1994. This is very much a physics/engineering style book (lots of algebra, fluid dynamics etc.) but since it's originally a German book, I believe, it's probably pretty thorough Wink.

I've not been able to lay my hands on it, but I may have another look for in a medical library I can get to. - bits of it can be seen in Google books.

It may be (rereading Rihil at p100) that she gets the 49m/s value from a formula in this book.

She also cites experiments (reported in the book above) on 8.5 gm spherical shot causing contusions at 46m/s and muscle penetration at 70m/s. Extrapolating those numbers to even the lightest shot used by slingers which is perhaps around three times that weight is silly. Interestingly, her estimate for her catapult velocities is 60m/s to 70m/s, which is pretty much where I would expect professional slingers to be anyway.

Just as a reminder here, her argument is based on 'a good slinger' throwing between 29m/s and 31m/s.

Here she also makes the comment about pits in walls (Herculaneum gate at Pompeii) saying they cannot have been caused by slingers.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 8:14am

Jerome49,

You may not know that Chris Harrison is the guy who started this very web site we are writing on.

Personally I still think 90m/s is on the 'extreme' side, but 70m/s is quite bad enough!

David's point about 'why shoot something blunt when you can shoot something sharp?' also seems a pretty good one to me Wink.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 9:38am

lol yep technically chris is still 'the boss' I'm the equivalent of first mate Smiley

Chris pays the bills Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark)