Send Topic Print
Passing it on... (Read 5580 times)
b.m.
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

earth
Passing it on...
Apr 25th, 2011 at 1:51pm

Of the many things in my kids' Easter baskets, the older three also had some simple slings and packs of tennis balls.  They took to it far quicker than I thought they would.  I showed them a simple underhand throw, but my 10yr old all on his own figured out the fig8 throw and is quite happy with himself.  My daughter, who is only 6yrs old, is having a little harder time at it, but I'm sure she'll get it down pretty quickly.  She's not the quitting type.

I intend to post some pics of the slings I made sometime soon.

Anyway, just thought I'd share...
BM

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Passing it on...
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 5:18pm

Cool! Cheesy I got shampoo... wonder if that's a hint? Huh

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 6:14pm

Good for you, b.m..  I wish I could get my kid interested in it.  She finds it strange.

IP Logged

b.m.
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

earth
Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 11:59am

I got home last night and they were all excited to show off their skills.  My oldest really impressed me with his fig8 throw...  He got a good whistle sound out of that sling and threw the ball all the way to our back fence (around about 100').  We spent a few minutes trying to bean each other before dinner.  Good times...

BM

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 8:53pm

Your son figured out fig. 8?!?! Shocked That took me forever! With the video! Watch out, your son could be the next slinging prodigy. Wink

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 11:51pm

Thunder Chief wrote on Apr 26th, 2011 at 8:53pm:
Your son figured out fig. 8?!?! Shocked That took me forever! With the video! Watch out, your son could be the next slinging prodigy. Wink

My thoughts exactly. Figuring out Fig 8 on your own is simply not done.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 7:00am

Knaight wrote on Apr 26th, 2011 at 11:51pm:

Shame on him for making us look stupid! Grin Grin Grin

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 10:59am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Apr 27th, 2011 at 7:00am:
Knaight wrote on Apr 26th, 2011 at 11:51pm:

Shame on him for making us look stupid! Grin Grin Grin

I know right?

IP Logged

Thabet

Slinging Rocks!

Casablanca Morocco
Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 9:56am

Your kids liking slinging right away is very cool .... figuring out and learning slinging styles  not as big a suprise to me as for some of you . If you are going to teach a kid a language or skill they learn fastest when young and the learning curve slows as they get older . Also most kids are more in touch with what their bodys are doing so they learn motor skills quickly. A parent that encorages his kids in a skill like slinging is very cool too ....Well done

i tot i taw a tweety bird... I need a rock

IP Logged

White Tiger
Tiro

long is the way, and hard...

auckland
Reply #9 - May 12th, 2011 at 5:07am

now you just need to bribe the kids to hit sweets and candy before they can eat it and watch the skill (and later dentist bills) climb!  GrinBalearic style! wish i had learnt earlier-we get so slow at picking up skills past the teenage years...like thabet and the rest said-well done!

IP Logged

Thabet

Slinging Rocks!

Casablanca Morocco
Reply #10 - May 12th, 2011 at 5:24am

Any time we teach our kids primitive survival skills we improve the chances they will survive as adults . I used to play fight my daughter ( amid reams of giggles on her part) but as a young adult she was attacked by a would be rapist with a knife . out armed and out weighed she fought him off and got to a place of safety and called the police for help (he was caught too) I still cry a bit when i remember her saying "daddy the things you taught me when we were playing saved me" As parents we have obvious dutys , feed clothe and protect our kids , but the best protection can be what we teach them to do for theirselves Once again Well done to interest your kids in a skill that goes back to our beginings as men

i tot i taw a tweety bird... I need a rock

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - May 12th, 2011 at 8:52am

That's a great story, Thabet.  I taught my daughter a bit of martial arts when she was younger.  The best thing she picked up was how to not telegraph her punches.  She's very tall and strong and has a fast, sneaky left jab that will take your head off.  Hopefully she'll never have to use it as your daughter did, but it's like money in the bank.. there when you need it.

IP Logged

scoteeball

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2011 at 2:39pm

Thabet, Glad your story ended well. As the father of four daughters that has been one of my greatest fears. I taught them all to sling BTW. I should get them thowing their fig 8 on video.

"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #13 - May 13th, 2011 at 10:19pm

That would be great to see. I only have one daughter and she sometimes comes slinging with me too. Her style needs a little working on; she needs to rotate her shoulders more, but hey, she's doing it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZdI0lR-zrc

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

scoteeball

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2011 at 11:19pm

Not bad at all. It is a complex move that some can't seem to do.  My youngest introduced slinging to a friend just this week. He called me for some advice on how to make slings and I pointed him to slinging.org and your seatbelt sling tutorial. Just passing it on. Smiley

"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)