Send Topic Print
Tomahawk throwing (Read 11634 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Tomahawk throwing
Apr 18th, 2011 at 10:27am

Its fun! Get yourself a proper traditional tomahawk though, they are pretty cheap. The modern 'tactical' tomahawks are way too expensive. You want 18" long plus or minus an inch and a replaceable wooden handle. Mine is the Cold Steel Riflemans Hawk with the hammer on the reverse side.  I have spent a fun afternoon reducing a big plank of wood to splinters with it  Grin

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Re: Tomahawk throwing
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 1:29pm

yup it is actually a ball. I get mine From a old smith. H&B forge. Great guy and a very great product!!

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 4:52pm

What is the approx weight of the head of the tomahawk?

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 7:38pm

http://www.hbforge.com/products/tomahawks.php

I use the shawnee. It is 3 lbs. and the haft is cut to the length of the forarm with fingers extended.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 9:59pm

The magic distance is 5 1/2 paces or 17 feet. Not quite 6 meters.  There is some fudge built in because it will vary slightly for everyone but the 'hawk should make three complete revolutions and stick on the next 1/2. 

I have the same 'hawk, I use it for throwing, camp chores, dressing game, and building shelters.   It stays in my truck because that is the vehicle I use for all my fun activities.  Bill

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 2:05am

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 18th, 2011 at 9:59pm:
the 'hawk should make three complete revolutions and stick on the next 1/2.  

Are you thinking of knife throwing there? A tomahawk does one complete revolution in that distance.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 5:52am

How does it work, actually ? Is there a fixed ratio (distance to rotations), and the axe sticks at fixed distances, or can you throw in different ways so that the axe will stick at any distance, according to aim ?

(and will it work e.g. with a hatchet or "normal" axe ?)

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:28am

An axe spins at a fixed rate determine by the length of the handle. Thus, the axe sticks at certain fixed distances, i.e. after one rotation, two rotations and so on. Traditional tomahawks have standardised around 18" long. Modern 'tactical' tomahawks are shorter, around 15" long.

For a trad hawk start at five paces. Adjust half a pace forward or back depending how the hawk lands. You dont have to throw very hard but you do have to be positive about releasing the handle or you can pull the axe low into the ground.

A straight handle with no end flare or other grip features is best to get a clean release. A simple slide-up head design means the handle can be replaced easily if/when it gets damaged. You can throw any regular axe but the grip might be too 'grippy' and the handle wont be as easy to replace, and if it is not the standard length you would have to find the right distance for it.

This is the video I'm basing my throwing on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLT4tSLU9G0

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:38am

I'll mention targets: end grain wood is best, which is why you see guys throwing at the faces of sliced off logs.

Vertical grain wood is your next best bet, I was using a plank set vertically but it soon split in half and was ruined. A half split trunk standing upright would be better.

Horizontal grained wood will not hold your axe, it will bounce right off. 

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:36pm

DM, you are correct, a "hawk makes one complete revolution.  Knives make 3 1/2 or 3 depending on whether you hold by the handle or blade when you throw.  The distance is correct, around 5 long pace.  I apoligize for giving bad information.  Bill

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 10:59am

Does that mean that "point blank" range results can be obtained up to 2.5 paces (under 3 m ?) away, before the axe starts on the second half of the full rotation ?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 11:08am

The axe may spin itself out of the target unpredictably without having a full rotation.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 11:59am

The "hawk is at a fairly steep angle when you release, I am not sure when the head has rotated past the cutting edge and will hit end on.  Bill

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 1:07pm

I will be chucking a hawk past the high speed camera when I get the opportunity. What I need is a tough enough target  Grin

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 2:41pm

If it's a weapon which has fixed "lethality windows", doesn't this mean that in actual combat, the situations when you throw your tomahawk are pretty infrequent-- i.e. when you have a stationary target at 6, 12, 18, 24 m OR if you can calculate deflection and trajectories so that you release when you think your tomahawk's trajectory and your target's trajectory will intersect at 6, 12, 18 etc m

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)