Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Blowgun (Read 23770 times)
Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Blowgun
Apr 14th, 2011 at 5:05pm

Two or three years ago i made one(about 1.3 meters/ approx 3 ft. diameter of the tubes was about 20 mm ) out of pvc tubes and i was shooting a cones of paper(my record was about 20 m/21 yards in hight and about 30 meters in length). Any ideas how to improve the whole blowgun(different materials for the gun itself, and the ammos)?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Blowgun
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 10:25pm

Google Paleoplanet.  You may have to do some searching but there have been some threads on blowguns.  Bill

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 3:42am

Thanks Smiley:)Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 4:25am

Also, look up 'cherokee blowgun' on the web. They made very powerful non-poisoned blowgun darts fletched with thistle fluff spirally bound onto a wooden shaft.

I have made cherokee style darts with tufts of cotton wool pulled out and bound onto bamboo BBQ skewers with thread. These work very well from a 2m x 15mm copper water pipe.

Great how-to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxIA1zWbZM

IP Logged

Wayfarer
Descens

"Utrum per hebdomadem
perveniam"

Tampa, Florida
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 12:03pm

Before I got into slinging (a long while ago), I made a few 1/2 PVC blowguns. I followed instructions from Dave Canterbury's survival videos on YouTube. Worked alright, but finding a fast, easy, and cheap source of fletching for the darts was a pain. I tried cotton, tape, tissue, plastic, wire nuts, and multiple other methods before giving up. Availablity of ammo was also one of the reasons I started slinging Smiley

IP Logged

starhiker
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Eatonville, Washington
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 8:17pm

Back in School, my friends and I made darts out of mounting pins and scotch tape.  The blowgun was just two or three soda straws taped together.  We wrapped the scotch tape around the back end of the pin to expand away from the pin in a cone. then we cut the cone off at a place where the remaining diameter was only slightly smaller than the interior of the straw.  At close range, we could imbed the pin dart in wood so hard it was difficult to remove.

I'm sliiiiinging in the rain, just sliiiiinging in the rain.  What a wooonderful feeeling I'm sliiiiinging again!

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 5:11pm

you can make a mouthpiece out of a pvc adapter, it probably makes for a tighter seal, although traditional ones don't have any mouthpiece, so it might not matter.

i've heard of broad head darts with heads like #11 exacto blades scraping and ruining the inside of the pipe, not sure about it though. i've used old credit cards/gift cards as target heads quite successfully.

i've tried sticking fletchings right in front of the cone of the blowpipe, which stabilizes it somewhat mroe than just a cone.

i think your pipe bore should be no less than .5 inches/1 cm. cheap online ones with only .22 are barely thicker than straw.

if you use cones soaking them in elmers glue or super glue greatly enhances their durability, making it somewhat like plastic.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

shadowtracker
Tiro

... to suffer the slings
and arrows of outr.......

memphis tn
Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 5:45pm

the best blowgun I have made was with 1/2" electrical conduit.  only costs a couple of bucks but makes a more rigid blowgun that improves the aim.  I like 4 or 5 feet my self.  also I make a cap instead of a cone with duck tape  by whittling Wink a stick to just smaller than the bore of the gun.  then tape sticky side up followed by tape sticky side down.  one advantage is that you can use bamboo skewers, and fire 5 or 6 at a time.  makes a pattern the size of a softball at 30 ft.  You can also use the cap with just one skewer and it works fine.  use a bright colored duck tape though so you can find the cap and reuse it.

When I practice a primitive skill, I &&experience a connection with all the &&generations of humans who have walked &&this earth before me.   And it is this &&realization that makes me aware of my &&connection to all those generations of &&humans who will walk here after me.    &&             Shadowtracker

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 9:24am

If you are interested in blowguns, this website has great how to´s on blowguns, ammo and all the gear related to it. They are sport oriented, not hunting (german law).
http://www.blasrohr-sport.de/

IP Logged

Fx 2000
Descens

Zielst Du noch, oder triffst
Du schon?

Karlsruhe Germany
Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 7:56pm

Hallo,

the link to oure german side was posted, here the american:
http://blowgun.lefora.com/

Greetings Michel

The brain is a fantastic thing, if you use it.&&Früher war ich klein und gemein, heute bin ich größer und böser.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2011 at 7:47pm

half inch electrical conduit would allow a longer, more rigid blowpipe certainly. Also 1/2 inch copper pipe would work better. As of yet I've only fooled with pvc and lack of rigidity is in issue. I have found that if you look through the barrel you can see the bend, and rotate the pipe to minimize the bend prior to using it.

For fletching so fare I've just used paper cones covered with packing tape.
For the shaft I've just used a bamboo skewer with no broadhead.

Even a 4 foot pipe is decently powerful. I taped a piece of old boot leather to a box and penetrated the cardboard and leather.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 6th, 2011 at 2:04am

perpetualstudent wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 7:47pm:
half inch electrical conduit would allow a longer, more rigid blowpipe certainly. Also 1/2 inch copper pipe would work better.

And aluminum tops both.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - May 6th, 2011 at 3:33am

Quote:
perpetualstudent wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 7:47pm:
half inch electrical conduit would allow a longer, more rigid blowpipe certainly. Also 1/2 inch copper pipe would work better.

And aluminum tops both.

Why is that? Is it because of the light weight or does it have some other qualities as well?

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2011 at 1:39pm

Aussie wrote on May 6th, 2011 at 3:33am:
Why is that? Is it because of the light weight or does it have some other qualities as well?

yeah, The light weight in combination with its rigidness (choose an adequately thick wall diameter). It means even a pretty long blowgun sags very little under its own weight. Be carefull though , some aluminium pipes have a weld on the inside, better quality ones don´t.

IP Logged

Galvanicfish

Just not right.

Central Ohio
Reply #14 - May 12th, 2011 at 11:06am

Cold Steel special projects makes a blowgun I've been pondering buying. Anyone here have one?

Here's a link if anyone's curious.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)