Send Topic Print
Plumbata (Read 12747 times)
Loyu
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Plumbata
Apr 4th, 2011 at 7:32pm

Plumbata were a kind of roman dart, a bit like a small spear. I am going to make a few (without the lead of course), but I don't know how to use them. I will post a couple pics when they're done. If anyone has built darts or small spears, post the pictures here! Smiley

\\\\\\\                                                          
=============================[||||]===----->      
///////    

\|/
\|/
\|/
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
/ \
\ /
|
|
|
\ /

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Plumbata
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 8:11pm

The fletching on plumbatae isn't at the very end of the dart, it's between the middle of the dart and the end with a couple inches of dart behind the fletching sticking out. You throw it like a lawn dart by grabbing the tail of the dart and swinging it either underarm or overhead. Your darts should look more like this:

\\\\\\\                                                         
====
=========================[||||]===----->      
        ///////   

And you hold them by the red part.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 8:32pm

So the romans invented lawndarts? Tongue

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 8:58pm

hawk_chucker wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 8:32pm:
So the romans invented lawndarts? Tongue

Lead lawndarts with hooked barbs that you throw like bowling in cricket.Smiley

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 9:22am

Probably somthing like war lawn darts, likely longer and more sharp at the end, kind of an unusual weapon.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 2:48pm

Well I am all for this. Build a proto and put it up. I think it would be something cool to play with. i actually made a game out of apache thowing stars that the little one and I play while camping. it is like horseshoes meets golf. A tree is picked as the target usually about 70 yards away and we have to not only it it, but keep score. She actually is becoming quite good. This summer weare going to figure out a way to work Rabbit sticks into it.

So i am sure i could figure out something the kid can use it for. the Trebuchet plans I was looking for is actually going to be used on the beach sending tennisballs into the water to the kids. It is like a fun history lesson.

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 1:06am

If you don't use lead, you are still going to have to find something to weight it with.  You could use the lead if you painted it with something, such as clear nail polish.

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 4:49am

Some time ago i made one that was historically accurate,wooden shaft about 17" with a barbed point make from iron,with a lead egg cast around where the point meets the shaft .The point was inserted in the shaft about 1" and the lead cast around it so it did hold well,it had thin,hard leather fins,4 of them if i remember correctly,it was nice,cool,sturdy,good weight,the only problem was that i lost it at the first throws,so i get upset for all the work being lost and forget about doing it again..casting lead around it is the best thing you can do..as a cheap solution you could wrap copper,or steel wire for weight,or glue some hex nuts on it.And don't forget to leave about 4" on the shaft's tail end clear,for grip,then the fletchings can start from there.There's enough good info on the web showing how it should look like.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 6:12am

Hm...I think one should throw the plumbata like the swiss dart/arrow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyKrQDFA28

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 11:22am

Then it wouldn't be a plumbata. The plumbata is a stiff, heavy dart that is inflexible. If you try to put a string on the plumbata and throw it like a swiss arrow the plumbata will tumble end over end. Swiss arrows are light, flexible darts that are made to bend when you throw them like a normal arrow. The two systems are incompatible.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Plumbata actually means "leaded arrow", so is it too much to assume that you need lead ?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 1:15pm

I would dispute that, Swiss arrows dont bend as they are much too short. Atlatl darts have to bend but they are five feet or longer.

The purpose of the lead on the plumbata is to concentrate its weight well away from the tail so that the length of the shaft acts like a lever when you hold it by the tail and throw it like a tomahawk. You get the advantage of greater speed due to an extended radius of throw.

You could throw it like Swiss arrow but this would need both hands to attach the string which is rather too fiddly when you are trying to hold a shield. You could use a fixed amentum like a javelin, to my knowledge nobody has tried that yet. But I still think the tail-throw and a bit of seesawing in flight is the way it was done.

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 10:00pm

roman spears and javelins were made to break away when they hit, so they cannot be thrown back. i suggest not making the breakawy point Cheesy

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 10:54pm

paracordslinger wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 10:00pm:
roman spears and javelins were made to break away when they hit, so they cannot be thrown back. i suggest not making the breakawy point Cheesy

They weren't so much breakaway as soft and bendy. The head of a pilum was hardened steel with a soft steel shank designed so that the head would get stuck in a shield and the shank would bend and sag under it's own weight. Then even if you managed to pull it out of the shield the front is bent and unusable. This wouldn't be too effective with a lighter dart like the plumbata.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #14 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 9:59am

Just stumbled pon the pic with the plumbata i made,and wrote about:

Plumbata.jpg (32 KB | )
Plumbata.jpg

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)