Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Treb plans needed (Read 3278 times)
hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Treb plans needed
Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:55am

OK I am looking for plans to make a smaller treb. I want to be able to throw a tennis ball or the rubber Pinkie balls 50 ft plus. Anyone have a set of plans they used that will do this. Seems all the plans I am finding on line are either going to  to throw a chevy truck or a pingpong ball.

This is going to be used mostly with kids and I am hoping that it is something simple to do.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Re: Treb plans needed
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 1:03pm

Hawkchucker, there are a few plans out there that are both free and pretty good for your purpose. Ripcord's Tennis Ball Treb is elegant, but has some funky compound angles in its frame and calls for odd sizes of wood (backstory, he had some hardwood scraps that he ripped to the sizes called for, and the angles are required to get the sides tilting inward so the axle would have a short unsupported span). It works really well, though.

http://members.localnet.com/~lorilee35/

Another is the Ingenium Medium Trebuchet (there is a small one, too, but no big one). Its frame is simpler than the Ripcord model, but Rip's arm works better and the counterweight is simpler.

http://www.tasigh.org/ingenium/medium.html

For the best of both worlds you could combine the Ripcord arm and CW with the Ingenium frame, though you might have to fudge dimensions a little to make them fit.

I have my own designs, but no formal plans.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 4:56pm

Thank you sir! That is exacly what I am looking for I will be sure to post a vid for ya after it is done!

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 5:58pm

Hurlin' Thomas is a semi-pro who competes against the best and brightest.
You can trust his advice 100%

Chuck

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 10:30pm

ChuckRocks wrote on Apr 14th, 2011 at 5:58pm:
Hurlin' Thomas is a semi-pro who competes against the best and brightest.
You can trust his advice 100%

Chuck

Heh heh, trust me!,

I don't have the capacity to compete with the big guys, but I do like to think I could open some eyes if I did.

Thank you, Brother Rocks.

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 6:22pm

Nope i trust him. In fact most likely going to start on it this weekend. We opened camp and now I need to find some things to keep the kids occupied. So I guess I am packing in the table saw. Plus I found great weights for it. Old scuba 10 lb weights.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 7:17pm

Hawk chucker, one thing to remember is that the frame has one function: to support the working parts. It can be pretty, ugly, or pretty ugly, as long as it does the job it's cool. What makes things happen is the arm, sling, and counterweight.

Then, once you get the treb built you start adjusting things to maximize your distance. A little basic understanding of trebuchet dynamics is needed, and tuning becomes a logical progression. With 20 lbs of counterweight throwing a tennis ball over 100 feet should be no great trick. And tennis balls are not made to fly far.

Tom

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 8:08pm

Thanks tom. Our campground is very large and the thing that is funny after showing several dads the plans you forwarded. well lets just say they are going nuts. One guy has 4 telephone poles and he is already starting to think bigger. I amtrying to keep them from going overboard with it, and the tennis balls are perfect for the lake and throwing them to the kids after the tweeking is worked out.

So stand by for a ton of PMs on this.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 9:46pm

I think the telephone pole guy needs to cool his jets a bit. Something that big is hazardous to operate, especially for a newbie. As in death or dismemberment. To even get some speed out of the arm would maybe take a half-ton of counterweight, and it will be dropping 8 to 10 feet. That's a tremendous amount of energy, and if a human were to intercept some of that he would be in a bad way.

These guys "got lucky" and weren't even mutilated, but they could have been. And they were somewhat experienced.

http://www.katu.com/news/4511481.html

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 7:08am

ya I hear ya bro. they just sometimes think too big. I like to take it slow and easy. I am thinking after this one is done we will look at doing one for water balloons, but will have to figure out how to keep them from breaking. That should keep them busy for the summer. and not building monstrositys.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)