Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Wil slinging byzantine style hurt my arm? (Read 4013 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Wil slinging byzantine style hurt my arm?
Apr 3rd, 2011 at 9:40am

I agree with the consensus above.  I use Byzantine quite a bit.  For many months it was my #1 style.  I don't think that Byzantine makes you more susceptible to injury than any other style.  Watch youtube videos to make sure that you're executing properly and don't over do it.  You'll actually get more power in your shot by slinging at about 80% of your total strength.  I resisted this concept for a long time, but it's true.  It sounds convoluted, but try it and see for yourself.

IP Logged

Loyu
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:23am

Thank you for the suggestions, and everyone's advice has helped tremendously. I now usually stretch my shoulder a little bit before slinging. Before now I would often accidentally throw it sidearm, which would make an unpleasant snapping noise, definitely giving me less power than an overhand release. I am double-jointed in my elbow, which sometimes causes me to over twist. So the problem mostly goes away if I make sure to stretch, throw overhand, and now throw at 100% power like Rat Man suggested.

IP Logged

jerome
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 4:27am

I recently re started slinging and tried the figure 8 style. after a few days my shoulder would burn along the top, so i reverted to helicopter(my old style)though its easier on my shoulder,  it still hurts though and i believe i have a rotator cuff injury. has anyone else experienced this? its not so bad in practice but as soon as i stop it burns searingly! for several hours.no practise for the moment, and i was starting to hit my targets!!! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 1:10pm

Welcome, jerome;
   I'm very sorry to hear that you're having such problems.  Sometimes when I over do it and my arm is hurting a bit I'm still able to sling underhanded without pain.  Have you tried this yet?  Also, with that level of pain it might be a good idea to see your doctor.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 2:35pm

Quote:
i believe i have a rotator cuff injury

Any muscles injury at the shoulder is a rotator cuff injury. Wink Stop doing anything strenuous for a week and see what happens. If is isn't noticeably less painful go to a doctor. If you can't lift your arm over your head, go to a doctor. If your arm falls off, go to a priest. I bet after a week your problems will have gone away. After that try stretching before you sling and gradually do start doing figure-8 again if you want to. Start out by just doing a couple figure 8 throws at the end of a helicopter slinging session and over the course of a month transition to doing more figure 8. That way you avoid repetitive motion strains as you muscles get used to slinging.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 1:18pm

When jerome uses the term "searing pain" that sends up a red flag with me.  I don't think one should ever feel searing pain from slinging.  It'll cost maybe thirty bucks to talk to your doctor.  That could be money well spent.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 5:40pm

I wonder if Jerome deleted his own account or if someone else got to him...

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

DavidTheDefender
Tiro

I sling rocks and study
the Holy Bible

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 12:23am

Well now I may be a youngster compared to most on this site, but I've had the same problem in my shoulder, and all I did was wait a day and the pain went away. I slung after that for about 3 days in a row for about two and a half hours or more and I haven't had that problem again. It could just be a underworked muscle or the joint cartilage just isn't used to the movements, or as others have said a serious problem, but I know that my problem is fixed after resting for a time.

IP Logged

Goku
Tiro

Stone Age Hunter

Behind You
Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 12:15pm

if my shoulder starts to twinge (im very careful now after my previous injuries with karate) i just change styles for a coupple of days and ease myself back into it after that.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized - Sun Tzu&&Experience is the teacher of all things - Julius Caesar &&Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail - Ralph Waldo Emerson&&Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world - Archimedes&&Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einst

IP Logged

White Tiger
Tiro

long is the way, and hard...

auckland
Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:45am

Hey y'all, back again-had trouble with getting my password to work(?) so had to re register( was jerome). nope-no one scared me off.but thanks for all the feedback.rested the arm for the week and gently started with helicopter, like i used to as a teen (30 now) and no problems. the rest helped with accuracy and was a restless week with nothing to sling!  Tongue however i've been at it for 45 mins every day and improving slowly, still avoiding heavier rocks and "power shots" however as the excercise progresses i generally get much faster and consistent. Warming up definitly helps. Thanks again guys!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 6:26am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Apr 8th, 2011 at 5:40pm:
I wonder if Jerome deleted his own account or if someone else got to him...

wasn't me.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 9:03pm

Good to see you back, jerome!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15)