Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trebuchet demo (Read 2488 times)
HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Trebuchet demo
Apr 2nd, 2011 at 9:47pm

I wound up in Orange County, "the OC" to television watchers, doing a treb demo for the kiddies at Eastwood Elementary School for their Science Night. We were throwing various objects distances from just short of 200 feet to maybe 75 for the baby machine that I included. Each grade had 2 missiles and representatives from those grades were allowed to yank the lanyard to launch them.

A good time was had by all and nobody got hurt.

And of course each one had a sling. The RWB had a basketball net for a pouch, the PVC pipe one had the 6-tab design CA likes and the baby had my unisling, the ridiculously simplified net pouch.

Thom

IMG_2033.JPG (231 KB | )
IMG_2033.JPG

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Trebuchet demo
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 10:15pm

looks like a lot of fun.  Smiley probably be one of those "remember in second grade in Mrs soso's class we had that trebuchet guy come...."

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 6:36am

fantastic !

So is this something you do at a lot of schools or was this a first ?

I'm just amazed that in this day and age of stupid h&s regulations you were allowed to do this. I can't see it happening in england any more - which is sad. Sad

Also was this a paid gig or are you just amazingly generous with your time ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 9:18am

i built a trebuchet n my grandpas basement that takes up about 1ft cubed. it will throw a golfball about 20 feet

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:56am

interested on where ya got the plans for the mini one. It looks like the sise I need to throw a Tennis ball over 50 foot.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 1:19pm

CA, this was a first for me. The PTA president contacted the organizers of the pumpkin launch at CSU Fullerton for contact info on the participants and I was the only one who could come through. Being a retiree I have the time, and have a backyard full of trebs (not full, quite, but one corner is). Yes, the principal was concerned about safety, but with the baseball backstop and some parental cooperation we kept the kiddies out of danger areas. And I did collect a modest honorarium, a chunk of which went into my gas tank.

Hawkchucker, the little one and the RWB one are basically the same frame design, just to different scale. It's my original, and has been built in frame sizes from 18 inches to 6 feet frame height. You can see examples here:

https://sites.google.com/site/trebsontheweb/galleries/wooden-trebs-emi-series

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Samurismallz

Why am I wasting slinging
time on this forum?

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 5:36pm

hawk_chucker wrote on Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:56am:
interested on where ya got the plans for the mini one. It looks like the sise I need to throw a Tennis ball over 50 foot.

If you go online and find trebuchet plans, you can size them down to what you need.  Ive done the opposite for a science project in fifth grade.  I took plans from a book I had and doubled the size for one about 3 ft high with a 4 foot arm.

Take life as it comes.  Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.&&&&There is one rule, above all others, for a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.&&&&Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)