Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
balearic sling making thread??? (Read 12428 times)
dog footrot
Tiro

slayer of pie pans

i live in your basement.
balearic sling making thread???
Mar 31st, 2011 at 7:21pm

quite a while back i came across a thread which had instructions and advice upon the braiding of Balearic slings.....well, I've been looking for a few hours, used the forum search feature, and come up with zilch, also went through the "FAQ and tutorials section, however I'm not sure if it was included there (it really ought to be) i was just wondering if any of the other members had it saved in there favourites, or has a link at all?

insert humourous quip here.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: balearic sling making thread???
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 7:38pm

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 1:09am

Interestingly enough, I just spent a couple hours of my evening here at home making a Balearic style sling for a craft show at work, and while thinking about slings, I realised I hadn't been here in ages, maybe even years. I did this latest sling with green and brown jute twine, and it was mainly as an experiment to see what kind of patterns I could make with different colours and the green and brown gives it a nice earthy, camouflage kind of look that I kind of like. This one is a little shorter than my typical Balearic sling, being about 34" from centre to end. I'll try to post pictures soon. But that tutorial is great, for learning how to braid a proper, Balearic style sling. I've referred to it many times over the past few years and that style has become my preferred sling style to this day.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 3:44am

Right Balearic Slings are not made out of string. One makes them only from then fibers.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 10:58am

Right enough Balearic slings can be braided from ready made cord, though, as shown in the "foner" site shown above Cheesy

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 2:15pm

If one can work so. However, I saw shooting nobody with such a Sling in Spain.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 4:01pm

Jaegoor is always the purist.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 4:20pm

Many thanks.

I made some of these models.

If one works with fibers, the lichens become a little more difficult.
However, one notices a clear difference if one shoots.

Maybe I should make once one for you Rat Man

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 3:09pm

Rat Man wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 4:01pm:
Jaegoor is always the purist.

In making slings and in scoring with them.  Smiley

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

dog footrot
Tiro

slayer of pie pans

i live in your basement.
Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 7:02am

yeah jaegoor, i realise that they're made of fibers, rather then the plied cord or yarn; and I've also made one before, however, i was looking for this particular thread because it showed in quite a bit of detail how the cords are interwoven, as well as how the pouch is made, this was of particular concern because i've gotten the pouch wrong and its started to wear through in one particular strand.....eep. Undecided

insert humourous quip here.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 9:49am

Jaegoor I also realize that real Balearic slings are made from plant fibers. However, I've got limited amounts of time, patience, raw authentic materials, etc. However I do have access to materials that make the whole process faster, easier and inexpensive enough to justify the time spent on the project. With that said, if you'd care to make an authentic Balearic style sling for me out of plant fibres, I would gladly pay you for it and send you my shipping information. I'll do a full out review of it and see how it compares to one of my own "reproductions." of course, you must realize that jute twine is made from plant fibers that have been stripped off the plant and spun together to form thin cords, so I have to wonder how inauthentic this construction method really is. Ive slung everything from frozen fruit to half bricks and just about every material conceivably in between and never had such a sling wear out, so I trust my construction methods.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 10:26am

Hi,

clearly one can make Slings out of all possible Materialen. I also do this. I use this balaric Slings even for then specific shot. My preferential material for Slings is silk.
However, one already notices a difference if one shoots.
These Spanish Slings look very easy. However, a lot of skill and craft is in them.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #12 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 1:56pm

Oh man, a silk sling would probably look really sweet! Any chance you've got a picture handy of one?

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #13 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 2:01pm

Jaegoor wrote on Apr 6th, 2011 at 10:26am:
Hi,

These Spanish Slings look very easy. However, a lot of skill and craft is in them.

agreed. i find a lot of trouble braiding the pouch. sometimes i braid one strap longer than the other, so i have to rebraid it, then the other strap is to long, so i shorten that, and suddenly the other strap doesn't look right, etc.

i have the most trouble when i put the two sides of the pouch together to make the release cord. i never can get them to joint nicely, usually they twist or stack up.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 4:28pm

Jaegoor wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 4:20pm:
Many thanks.

I made some of these models.

If one works with fibers, the lichens become a little more difficult.
However, one notices a clear difference if one shoots.

Maybe I should make once one for you Rat Man

I would be honored to have a sling made by you, Jaegoor.  I would send you one in return if you'd like, though you're undoubtedly a better sling maker than me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)