Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EUREKA! crossbow trigger (Read 5872 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
EUREKA! crossbow trigger
Mar 27th, 2011 at 4:23pm

was looking at some of Dave Canterbury's video's, saw one of his instructors doing a video on a simple crossbow. with some tweaking you could probably make an excellent quality one, using just the trigger design. if you look at around 15:10 you see a picture of the trigger system.

crappy explanation (read masiaka's farther down the page):

if it were up to me in a non survival situation i would cut off the bottom half of the log except at the trigger, to make it much more light weight. i would also add a small handle behind it, and maybe even a stock. the arrow holding mechanism would probably be replaced for a nicely carved/sawed out small board, that is attached on top and held down with a hinge and maybe a spring (or just a piece of wood wedged on the other end of the fulcrum)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVCqdKlWetk&feature=channel_video_title
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:18pm by xxkid123 »  

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Re: EUREKA! crossbow trigger
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 8:14pm

That's what's called a "push off" trigger, it's essentially the most primitive kind that's often seen on crossbows used by primitive peoples like th Hmong in Cambodia.  Despite it's crudity it can be pretty effective.
Usually, the post that forces the string up is moved by a long piece of wood that's hinged in front and protrudes to the rear....Squeezing the stock and the trigger together raises the post.

Like this:

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 11:12pm

Think of it like this:
  • There is a notch carve out of the stock for the string to rest in when you pull it back.
  • In the notch there is a hole drilled right under where the bowstring is.
  • In the hole is a pin that is attached at the bottom to the middle of a paddle and the front of the paddle is hinged to the stock.
  • This paddle is the trigger.
  • When you push up on the paddle it pushes the pin up.
  • When the pin slides up it pushes the bowstring out of the notch.
  • Once the bowstring slides up out of the notch it hits the nock of the bolt and pushes it forward.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 9:39am

Don't know why the pic isn't showing up for you, but here's the thread on the forum I got it from; has some more close-ups of the mechanism:

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30408

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:37pm

This is the trigger used on the crossbow my father and a friend made for me when I was in my early teens, over 3o years ago Smiley
Both the old boys had reached their 60s back then, and had picked up a trick or two along the way.  
The stock they simply made from a solid board with tongue and notch(?) so the bolts fit in the notch.  I remember it as working fine.
timann

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 5:05pm

Kid the best thing about the trigger Crit'r shows is that it was origionaly used by the Viet Cong and all you need to do to make it a trap is lash into a Y-shaped tree and tie a rope around the trigger then around another tree behind the cross bow (as a pulley) and then pull it across the trail and tie it to a tree on the other side. Then when it is tripped it pulls the trigger and the trap goes off.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris)