Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Latvian Braid Tutorial (Read 14082 times)
Sons of benjamin
Descens

Latvian Braid Tutorial
Mar 20th, 2011 at 5:05pm

Hey, I just found this braiding style on the web.  It is fairly easy to do and looks very nice.  I haven't made a sling with it yet, but I'm about to.

http://www.braidsociety.com/work/tech1/bblatvia.htm
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2011 at 3:02pm by Sons of benjamin »  

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Re: check out this braid
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 5:55pm

post pics!

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:12pm

Latvian Braid

as a note, remember that for the purposes of making a sling you can modify this braid in order to created pouches, loops, etc.  I see a lot of potential in this braid for making netted pouches.  Also, this is the only flat braid that I've come across that doesn't twist up ( if you do it correctly).  Another very important thing to note is that for this tutorial I have used strands of relatively the same size.  In the technically correct form of this braid, the two middle strands (pink in step 1) should be thicker than the two outer strands (blue in step 1).  You can use doubled middle strands if you like.  I personally think it looks fine the way I have done it here, but that is up to you.

step 1

You should start off with eight strands, four on each 'side' of the braid.  The middle two strands are colored pink and the outer two are colored blue for this tutorial.  Also, I am using what I call a 'trainer' section of strings, as I use this relatively short section of cord to teach myself and others how to braid different styles.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:15pm

step 2

take the upper right side pink strand, or upper right middle strand (by upper right i mean the higher of the two middle strands on the right side of the braid) and bring it over the lower right middle and outer strands, so that it is below the lower outer left strand.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:16pm

step three

Do the same with the upper middle left string, this time bringing it over the former upper middle right string, and placing it under the lower outer right string (blue)

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:18pm

step 4

take the new upper middle right strand and bring it over the new lower middle and outer right strands, placing it below the new lower outer right strand.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:19pm

step 5

repeat step 3 with the new upper middle left strand (still pink at this time)

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:26pm

step 6

take the upper outer right strand and bring it under the original lower outer right strand, now the new upper middle right strand, and then bring it across the new lower middle and outer right strands, placing it in the middle below the lower outer right strand.

this step has two pictures for clarity of technique.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:26pm

step 6

picture two.  The completion of step 6

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:28pm

step 7

Essentially repeat step 6 with the upper outer left strand, placing it in the middle below the new lower outer right strand.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:29pm

Now repeat this cycle until you have reached the desired length.

This pic is the latvian braid after two cycles.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:30pm

this is a latvian braid with 12 cycles completed

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 7:35pm

The latvian braid is my most favorite flat braid, as it doesn't twist up in longer braids as nearly all other flat braids are wont to do.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Re: Latvian Braid Tutorial
Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 3:03pm

I've changed the name of this post from "check out this braid" to "Latvian Braid Tutorial"

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Latvian Braid Tutorial
Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 6:01pm

That is a beautiful braid.  My brain's wiring is damaged such that I never would have gotten it from the original tutorial that you posted the address to.  Thank you for taking the time to do this tutorial.  I'm going to try it.  I included this in the Sling Making Tutorials section.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)