Send Topic Print
fave ammo (Read 5967 times)
paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
fave ammo
Mar 15th, 2011 at 8:42pm

Huh what is everyones favorite ammo? name synthetic (plastics), natural (clay, stone), metal, or glass. if it is a diy ammo, tell us how you made it, and be specific!

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: fave ammo
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:01pm

I make clay glandes and biconals.  I mold them, let them air dry for a day and throw them in a kiln at 150 degrees for about 12 hours, then I crank it up to glowing, about 1000 degrees for a couple of hours.  Let cool and throw.  If I don't let them air dry and then bake at a temp below boiling until All moisture is gone, they pop like popcorn.   Bill

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:08pm

that is a great idea! except for the fact that we sold our kiln at a boy scout garagr sale! Angry

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:35pm

Rocks. Nice smooth rocks, say baseball weight or less.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:51pm

Hi, paracordslinger;
    Welcome.  I'm fortunate to live in an area with plenty of smooth, oval shaped river stones.  (South Jersey)  I use them mostly, but my very favorite ammo is golf balls.  Nothing I've tried shoots farther.  There are many golf courses near me, so I have never had to buy them.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 10:48pm

rocks are nice. 1-2 ounces. i like light rocks, maybe a little less than golf ball sized. i'm a small guy and i'm not very strong. a tennis ball is even a little on the heavy side.

i've slung snails as well, they go pretty far.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 11:33pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:51pm:
Hi, paracordslinger;
   Welcome.  I'm fortunate to live in an area with plenty of smooth, oval shaped river stones.  (South Jersey)  I use them mostly, but my very favorite ammo is golf balls.  Nothing I've tried shoots farther.  There are many golf courses near me, so I have never had to buy them.  

Don't you find them a little light. Just dawned on me that your heavy pouched Cobra should work fine with them. I've only ever slung stones with it. (Will try it out this WE.)

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

sobieski
Descens

Slinging for fun!

Czech
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 1:00am

I like rail stones

Im back!

IP Logged

darksidedsam
Tiro

Stone, Spin, Sling!

Essex, England
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 5:38am

Pretty much anything that i can pick up and sling Lol.

But my favourite of all is the nice, round smooth flint stones, SO much more accurate with those

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 10:22am

i just made kansas clay balls. i treated them just right so they dried evenly and thoroughly. they weigh probobly 5-7 grams eack and i can sling them about 100 yds (91.44 meters) or the length of an American football field.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 4:47pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 15th, 2011 at 11:33pm:
Rat Man wrote on Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:51pm:
Hi, paracordslinger;
   Welcome.  I'm fortunate to live in an area with plenty of smooth, oval shaped river stones.  (South Jersey)  I use them mostly, but my very favorite ammo is golf balls.  Nothing I've tried shoots farther.  There are many golf courses near me, so I have never had to buy them.  

Don't you find them a little light. Just dawned on me that your heavy pouched Cobra should work fine with them. I've only ever slung stones with it. (Will try it out this WE.)

You might think they'd be a bit light, Aussie, but I've fired them with all kinds of slings with no problems.  A Cobra does work great with them, but with every type of sling I've shot golf balls with they go farther than any other sort of ammo.  Just eyeballing it up I'd say maybe 20% farther than rocks.  Where you loose out is with hitting power.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 4:06am

I had a little impromptu go with golf balls this morning, but not in the cobra as I didn't have it with me. A short sling witha very light pouch. They certainly went well but any error in technique is magnified so they veer off course readily.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 8:26am

My standard ammo is tennis balls mainly cause you can use them indefinitely and they are also really easy to spot if you miss. Though if I can get my hands on some round rocks I will definitely sling those.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 11:57am

Aussie wrote on Mar 17th, 2011 at 4:06am:
I had a little impromptu go with golf balls this morning, but not in the cobra as I didn't have it with me. A short sling witha very light pouch. They certainly went well but any error in technique is magnified so they veer off course readily.

Yes, you need a good backspin for golf balls or they'll go anywhere.

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 10:23pm

i usually make concrete sling stones. i use a type of mix called sand topping mix that doesn't have the rock aggregate in it. makes for smoother stones. i make them egg shaped. i've more recently gone to a balearic style of slinging and i've upped the weight of my stones to around 5-7 oz. (140-200 grams). i make them egg shaped. my accuracy has gotten better ten fold with this technique. i make a lot of cast lead projectiles too. same shape and weight but they come out much smaller.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)