Send Topic Print
Hand made net (Read 1972 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Hand made net
Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:42pm

What type of cord would you use?

I had some left over sisal that I used to make my first one, and it turned out pretty well but I wonder about the strength of it. Particularly if it were used for something like fishing instead of against small game (birds, squirrels, rats etc).

So for my second (and current) I'm using mason line, which is (as you can imagine) a bit of a headache. It does work after a fashion, but it has issues around the edges and then knots slip making large holes in it. The knots also have a habit of coming loose just in general.

Thoughts?

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Hand made net
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 3:38pm

Look for mason line that's also labeled "seine twine." Seine is an old term for a large, rectangular net. Seine twine is usually waxed or tarred in some way to make it easier to tie into a net.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:37pm

Because of its slippery nature synthetic twine is a difficult to make nets with.  Instead use cotton, sisal, jute or other natural twine.  If you want the strength of nylon use the double sheet bend or switch to a bonded nylon or spun nylon.
 Check out the "Nets and Net Making Section of the Pineapple Knot forum.  Over a dozen netting related topics including instructions, hints and tips including the double sheet bend.
http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7
 Just below the netting section (Knotical Resources) is a list of sources for net making cord and needles.  Good luck.  Tony
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2011 at 10:41am by asemery »  

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 8:00am

I have seen great nets made form tarred mairieners line also known as bank line.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Samurismallz

Why am I wasting slinging
time on this forum?

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 9:22pm

If you made it for fishing, you may want to put loops in the corners.  I know the holes in the net would work for this, but this way you have a designated place to hook another line to.  If you make them connect up like a classic parachute (where the four corner lines attach to one central line), you could place it in the center of a stream or drag it behind a boat.

Take life as it comes.  Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.&&&&There is one rule, above all others, for a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.&&&&Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris)