Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Sling, Forgotten Firepower of Antiquity (Read 4640 times)
The_Peltast
Ex Member

The Sling, Forgotten Firepower of Antiquity
Mar 3rd, 2011 at 11:21pm

I found this earlier this evening and after searching the forum and slinging.org the best I could, I decided to post a link to it. I could not find any previous mention of it before, so if this has already been shared I apologize.

http://ipna.ie/documents/History%20of%20the%20Sling.pdf

It seems to be an article from the journal of Asian Martial Arts from Vol. 11 2002. Its very well cited and written by Robert E. Dohrenwend, PH.D. He actually gives the sling the credit its due from an effectiveness perspective. The sections on ballistics and range are incredible.

Enjoy

IP Logged

starhiker
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Eatonville, Washington
Re: The Sling, Forgotten Firepower of Antiquity
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 1:56am

Fascinating article!  I like that he is up front about the fact that his data is limited by amateur testers.  He freely admits he was in need of experienced slingers.

I'm sliiiiinging in the rain, just sliiiiinging in the rain.  What a wooonderful feeeling I'm sliiiiinging again!

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 9:49am

The_Peltast wrote on Mar 3rd, 2011 at 11:21pm:
I found this earlier this evening and after searching the forum and slinging.org the best I could, I decided to post a link to it. I could not find any previous mention of it before, so if this has already been shared I apologize.

No problem, but has been spotted before -  Smiley

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1227641281/13#13

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 10:31am

Great article,glad you shared it.It shows what we all know that the sling is just a piece of string and a pouch but a man who knows how to use it can produce extraordinary results.Just a couple of days ago I made some calculations just to see what would the numbers say about timing the release as that is the biggest challenge,and the results are:To hit a circle of 22cm(8.66") diameter at 50m(54yards) with a 110cm(43") sling with a velocity of 77m\s (252 feet\s) the slinger has 1\10.000 of a second to release.Now this is a small target quite far and a high velocity(not the highest possible) Slinging with heavy stones reduces the velocity so the timing is easier but still talking about 1\1000 of a second at some distance,at some speed.That's why the guys from the balearic isles were and are slinging with heavier stones,so they have "more time " to release.Thankfully  were not computers,nor machines we sling by feeling.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 3:46pm

1/1000th of a second - plenty of time Smiley
Although I suspect that the brain is also analysing every single aspect of the body and the sling leading up to the release point.

So don't read too much into numbers like that Smiley

And if anyone else has got one.
That pdf converts perfectly into a kindle prc file with mobipocket publisher Smiley
I'll attach it as  a zip file Smiley
Just download, unzip and either email it to your kindle or copy it to the documents folder.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2015 at 4:46pm by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

The_Peltast
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 12:39am

wanderer wrote on Mar 4th, 2011 at 9:49am:
The_Peltast wrote on Mar 3rd, 2011 at 11:21pm:

No problem, but has been spotted before -  Smiley

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1227641281/13#13

Arrr, I thought for sure it might be new! blast. lol. Its crazy, even now I can't seem to find the thread I started with the search function...

But hey, now we have it in a nice prc file!  Smiley

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 1:39am

Of course C_A,the release is not the only thing we have to take into account when slinging,elevation,ammo weight,form,aerodynamics,every joint in our body etc.And talking about numbers,that's what I meant with the thanks that we're not machines,we FEEL the sling.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 12:45pm

I'm reviving this thread because of recent discussions about accuracy
the link to the above pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20110816071035/http://www.ipna.ie:80/documents/Histo...

under accuracy:
Quote:
Echols states that the Irish used slings up to modern
times for war and then for sport, and that a good Irish slinger could hit a
shilling as far away as he could see it (1950: 228).

you don't need to be an ancient historian to make a vague statement.

guestimate:
     if you say you can hit something then you got 2-3 tries before everyone gets disappointed and walks away.
     how big is an irish shilling? 2-2,5cm? less than 1" . i can see a coin 30m away maybe more . thats ~2,9MOA  , close to modern rifle accuracy. Tongue

can anyone find a pdf link for the source: ECHOLS, E. (1950). The ancient sling. The Classic Weekly, 18(15).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 2:06pm

he made it up Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:07am

Eine Münze auf 30 m Distanz?  Das ist ein guter Witz. Zu treffen was man sieht ist relativ. Vom Bodensee seh ich die Alpen . Aber treffen kann ich sie nicht. Wink Grin
Nach meiner Meinung erreicht ein sehr guter Slinger eine Genauigkeit wie ein Schütze mit Bogen. Ich schieße beides. Mit der Sling bin ich nicht schlecht. Auf fliegende oder bewegte Ziele bin ich besser wie die meisten schützen mit Bogen.  Eine Flasche werfen und im Flug treffen . Wieviele  können das mit einer Pistole?
Oder versuchen sie das!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9GTSWAI7lxY
Über Genauigkeit zu reden ist eine Sache. Sie zu trainieren ist etwas ganz anderes. Das gilt für jede Waffe.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 12:05pm

I suspect you could hit an egg perhaps 25% maybe on a good day if you were very, very good. I don't think it's completely out of the question. How big is the coin?  Smiley

IP Logged

theostravos
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 4:39pm

Sarosh wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 12:45pm:
I'm reviving this thread because of recent discussions about accuracy
the link to the above pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20110816071035/http://www.ipna.ie:80/documents/Histo... of the Sling.pdf

under accuracy:
Quote:
Echols states that the Irish used slings up to modern
times for war and then for sport, and that a good Irish slinger could hit a
shilling as far away as he could see it (1950: 228).

you don't need to be an ancient historian to make a vague statement.

guestimate:
     if you say you can hit something then you got 2-3 tries before everyone gets disappointed and walks away.
     how big is an irish shilling? 2-2,5cm? less than 1" . i can see a coin 30m away maybe more . thats ~2,9MOA  , close to modern rifle accuracy. Tongue

can anyone find a pdf link for the source: ECHOLS, E. (1950). The ancient sling. The Classic Weekly, 18(15).

Grin Which was immediately, dully copied. Now it is an item of study Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man)