Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TRIBULUS (Read 4992 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
TRIBULUS
Feb 28th, 2011 at 4:22pm

Looking at the adaptation of the apache star Fundi has made to throw it with the cestros sling, I have remember an ancient weapon that also could be used like of impact, although its main use was to hurt the feet of men and horses when they stepped on it and thus hinder their advance. It´s the “tribulus” (Latin) or caltrop in English, and is described in the History of the Sling, at the end of this chapter:

http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Historia_de_la_Honda_21

Years ago the topic was discussed in the forum and we were not able to find out how to throw the tribulus with a sling, possibly due to a drawing of Leonardo da Vinci that put us in the wrong track. Then, seeing Fundi in action with the apache star I have cheered up to try it again and… eureka! it has worked finally. The solution is so simple that I am ashamed of not having guessed it then. It´s necessary to use a sling of splitted pouch , or conventional one but enough narrow to slipping between the nails without hardly touch them. It must never be a nail within the pouch. It can be thrown with any style, but spinning only once or twice so that tribulus does not move and entangle the cords. The pictures show better the question.

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2011 at 5:42pm by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: TRIBULUS
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 4:28pm

Good info.  Thanks for that, Hondero.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 4:49pm

A very mean looking weapon. The risk of snagging on release would be high; no way I'd want to sling anything like that.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 3:40am

Thats a nasty looking thing, and it has lots of historical confirmation. Good work!

IP Logged

echelon7
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 1:32pm

VIDEO! please Smiley

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 3:42pm

Aussie, thanks for pointing out the possible risks for not initiated slingers trying the tribulus. I forgot to do it. Nevertheless, event not having experience with it, is difficult for a slinger to hurt himself if he follows the warnings I have said.  I have not had any problems in the learning of the weapon.

Echelon7, when I have time I´ll  make the video. I would like to see the tribulus nailed in a tree  Wink

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

aurelio
Descens

...then, the ape stood
and took a rock.

Spain
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 5:14pm

Seeing the look of tribulus, it would be terrible, for a load of infantry in tight phalanx, they  being slinged for them.  Direct impacts  it's wounded soldiers and failed shots it are damaging warriors in rear positions because that they don't see it on the floor.

Hondero, he leido tus trabajos y son excelentes. Enhorabuena y muchas gracias.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 8:34am

(safety nerd warning system: on)  A snag could result in a good self inflicted puncture wound as the sling whips around you.  Be careful.  (Safety nerd warning: off  Wink )

BTW, it looks cool

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 4:58pm

Hondero nice to see you and your inventions again! A nice thing. I wouldn't try it with the fig8, for sure!

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 1:03pm

Yurek, old buddy, nice also to see you here again. With respect to the inventions, we walked both on a par, remembers that “inventors corner” you initiated and that so many satisfactions gave to us. Regarding the tribulus, I swear that I have not invented it  Embarrassed.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 3:14pm

Sweet but dangerous for the slinger?

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 6:14am

Hondero wrote on Mar 3rd, 2011 at 1:03pm:
Yurek, old buddy, nice also to see you here again. With respect to the inventions, we walked both on a par, remembers that “inventors corner” you initiated and that so many satisfactions gave to us. Regarding the tribulus, I swear that I have not invented it  Embarrassed.

Hondero, my friend, that was a really fascinating time that has resumed my old forgotten interest in slinging. That is why I still play with sling Smiley

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Kick)