Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don't you hate it when... (Read 3719 times)
Sons of benjamin
Descens

Don't you hate it when...
Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:26pm

Don't you hate it when you sling for too long and your arm hurts to an unbelievable degree afterwards?

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Re: Don't you hate it when...
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:46pm

YES!

That's why I practice archery more than slinging  Cheesy
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:52pm

Sons of benjamin wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:26pm:
Don't you hate it when you sling for too long and your arm hurts to an unbelievable degree afterwards?

I wish I had enough time to get that feeling!

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:54pm

I've never slung enough to have my arm hurt.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:43pm

In that I sling practically every day, usually twice a day, plus I bowl at least five games twice a week my arm and shoulder always hurt at least to some degree.  It usually doesn't get to the point of hurting unbelievable, thankfully.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 10:29pm

Yes, although I continue slinging until it doesn't hurt. Much better for recovery for sore muscles!

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 12:18am

Yeah, I slung at full power too many times today, trying to break my distance record, and put too much stress on my arm and shoulder.  As a result, my arm felt like the bones were broken for about an hour (until I took some ibuprofen).  I noticed that changing up styles and slinging at reduced power for a while helps to ease the soreness.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

alpine
Tiro

alpinslingin

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 3:46am

Yes, throwing your arm out is not fun. I have to say though I can throw a ton more rocks with the sling and be perfectly fine, than if I were to throw the rocks by hand like a baseball pitch. I threw a rock today by hand after I was done slinging, just for fun, and it seemed like such a joke compared to the sling. The rocks I were slinging were fairly big and heavy too.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 4:24am

As everyone else,didn't like when I've "thrown my arm out".It was a few thousands slung stones before now,when I was under mental pressure to prove myself,slinging hard,and slinging fist sized rocks until my arm started to hurt so bad that I barely could move it a half an hour.Of course I couldn't sling and after about a half an hour most of the pain was gone,and of course I started slinging again,after a couple of stones it started to hurt again,until I finally recognized that I forced myself way too much and it's time to stop.I also discovered that the longest throws were made relaxed,smooth technique,not Chuck Norris steel muscle throws.It's just a waste of energy and skeletal integrity to force slinging.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 7:26am

This is exactly what I've experienced too.
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

alpine
Tiro

alpinslingin

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 8:09pm

Yes, any golfer will say the same. Relaxed and good technique is the only way to go.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 10:03pm

I've developed the wisdom to stop before reaching that point. Same thing with working out.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 11:22pm

after a while your arm muscles get used to it.

maybe i still have the pleasures of youth though (i'm not calling any of you old now..)

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 12:42am

The only time I have gotten a sore arm from slinging was the first week that I started slinging, since then it's all been smoothe sailing.  What does give me a sore arm is using a hammer stone for flintknapping, gets you right in the elbow after a while.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Chuckaduck

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 10:19pm

I have come across reading that has recommended stretching before slinging.  I never have had any issues and so have never stretched, but I would think those of you experiencing soreness should certainly try.

Any new activity may utilize muscles that you normally don't use in day-to-day activity.  If you are experiencing prolonged soreness you either are going at it too hard or may have hurt something, I would take a break and revise your technique.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Kick)