Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lacrosse Mesh Sling Pockets (Read 18305 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Lacrosse Mesh Sling Pockets
Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:39pm

Any craft store like Michael's will have the proper size wooden beads.  I got my last batch at Walmart.

IP Logged

alpine
Tiro

alpinslingin

Reply #16 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 2:12am

Cool, thanks for the tip. I am in the process of building my next sling design and it will definitely have a bead. I was also wondering if a "T" piece, held between the fingers, instead of a slip knot would distribute the pressure a little better on the other side. I have seen some other slings that have this and figure I'll give it a try.

So far the mesh is holding up Ok, but I haven't had a chance to sling as much this week as I did over the weekend.

IP Logged

alpine
Tiro

alpinslingin

Reply #17 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 7:14pm

Here's aother design with three strands of braided paracord.

braid1.JPG (32 KB | )
braid1.JPG

IP Logged

alpine
Tiro

alpinslingin

Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 7:16pm

Another pic of the same sling. I like the heavier weight with the braid. The end knot is nice and big and the loop end is for two fingers, to spread out the weight of the projectile over more than one finger.

This one is my best and longest sling design yet. This one really throws far. It is about 36" or so and with the braiding, it gives it a good weight. I think this extra weight helps to control the smaller projectiles a little better than a one strand design, for me. I used three pieces of continuous paracord pieces of the same length, slid on the mesh pocket and braided the ends. This makes it so no knots are needed to tie the mesh pocket to the paracord. One end has a big knot and the other has a loop that goes around two fingers (ring and middle) to help distribute the weight of the throw across two fingers. It seems more comfortable to me.

My good fig 8 throws are still averaging about 100 to 120 paces and I can throw that far most of the time. However, out of all the throws today, I only had a handful that really cracked. I read one bit of advice to drop the offside shoulder when finishing up the throw and worked on this. It really added some power and now I 'get it', but can't do it very often. When I got the timing and form right, the projectile took off like a rocket, a lot faster than my usual throws and the end of my sling cracked. So, that will be the next step, to get this power on every throw, then work on accuracy. I have a feeling once I get this figured out, I will be throwing a lot farther.

This new sling is working great.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2011 at 10:12pm by alpine »  

braid3.JPG (28 KB | )
braid3.JPG

IP Logged

alpine
Tiro

alpinslingin

Reply #19 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 2:30am

Has anyone tried making a sling with this material?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 6:23am

Very nice, sir.  I haven't tried it yet only because I haven't come across any such material.  We often sling at night on the empty fields behind the local high school.  It's only a matter of time before I find an old, discarded lacrosse stick back there.  I'm looking very forward to having some lacrosse slings.

IP Logged

alpine
Tiro

alpinslingin

Reply #21 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 10:46pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 30th, 2011 at 6:23am:
It's only a matter of time before I find an old, discarded lacrosse stick back there.  I'm looking very forward to having some lacrosse slings.

Ah, smart strategy. You can get the mesh online (new) for about ten bucks, but the mesh from an old stick would be a lot better since it's already nice and broken in. My old sticks are nice and pliable, mostly from the wax wearing off over time and with a nice healthy dose of dirt and grass to soften up the pocket. Problem is, that's when they get good and you don't want to give them up. Often, a good mesh pocket will last for years. When you break a stick head you just transfer the pocket over to the new head. Anyway, I digress. Maybe the coach has some old material.

IP Logged

alpine
Tiro

alpinslingin

Reply #22 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 3:18pm

Going on 6 months since I tried this material. So far the lax mesh is holding up well. I found a couple more places to sling and find decent sized rocks. The biggest problem I have had is keeping the knots tied in the paracord from loosening. I might try some superglue on them, see if that helps. Other than that, the sling has held up well. Still on the lookout for a cool skull head release bead too.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 3:49pm

Super glue is good although if you use too much it can make the knot brittle and prone to cracking. Even if using the right amount, it is brittle stuff and over time can crack. FWIW, another way to go about it would be needle and thread. Wet the part to be knotted thoroughly and then tie the knot. The moisture will allow the knot to be pulled much tighter on most cordage.  Then let dry and pass the needle through all the parts of the knot 15-20 times and then put the very tip of the superglue applicator in the very center of the knot and put one drop in there. It will last the life of the sling.

The knot at the end of the release cord is done this way.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris, vetryan15)