Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling length (Read 11734 times)
Sons of benjamin
Descens

Sling length
Feb 22nd, 2011 at 10:51pm

What are your preferred sling lengths.  I have made about 12-14 slings total, and while i have made some long ones (47+ inches)  my average length is around 34-37 inches (I am measuring from the center of the pouch to the end of the finger loop.  Also, my longest sling is a la mancha sling, so it has a wrist loop and is therefore longer than 100 inches total (end to end)).  My shortest is about 29-31 inches long.  What is best? I noticed that some of my longer slings are cumbersome to use with certain styles of throws (ie Greek and weaver/figure 8)

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Sling length
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 10:54pm

I make 2 lengths primarily, 24 inches and 36 inches. For me a 30 inch sling (halfway between the two if you couldn't guess) rests just above the ground. Most people make their slings to this median length (which differs depending on the height of the user).

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 5:58am

27.5" the close range accuracy sling,40" the usual mid-long range warhorse,50" the long range ballistic sling

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 8:25am

I never measured mine. I actually just make them so the just kisses the ground with my arm relaxed and down. If it affects accuracy I will never know because i cant hit squat anyway. Tongue

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 9:00am

28 to 32 inches is my favorite all around length.  I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall.  I find I can easily use this length for my 3 favorite styles: Byzantine, over hand/apache, and underhand.  It's controlable for accuracy and I usually don't have problems with it scraping the ground or hitting brush.  It easily has enough power for short to mid range hunting.  Most importantly (with practice) it's the length that I'm most comfortable with.  Also with longer ones I feel like I need to do a few helicopter whirls to get control and get the sluggish feel out of the length.  28 to 32" doesn't have that sluggish feeling with a quick byzantine.

I do like 36 + inch slings, and I play with a 24" on ocassion, but 28 to 32 is the one I grab the most.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 9:40am

RJB wrote on Feb 23rd, 2011 at 9:00am:
28 to 32 inches is my favorite all around length.  I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall... I do like 36 + inch slings, and I play with a 24" on ocassion, but 28 to 32 is the one I grab the most.

I'm 67.5" tall, you're 75" tall. 36" slings for you are like 32" slings for me and your 24" is like me using a 20". Grin

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 11:12am

I like 27 inches myself, the loaded pouch hovers above the floor.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 11:44am

That best length is up to the user. It depends what your most comfortable with. I like mine between 24 and 26 inches long.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 11:44am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Feb 23rd, 2011 at 9:40am:
RJB wrote on Feb 23rd, 2011 at 9:00am:
28 to 32 inches is my favorite all around length.  I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall... I do like 36 + inch slings, and I play with a 24" on ocassion, but 28 to 32 is the one I grab the most.

I'm 67.5" tall, you're 75" tall. 36" slings for you are like 32" slings for me and your 24" is like me using a 20". Grin

Works for me.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 12:24pm

Welcome, Sons of benjamin;
    Almost everyone who posts here will give you a different answer.  Your best bet is to experiment and find what works for you.  I believe that the ideal sling length is half of your height.  I'm 6'4" so 38" is my ideal length, measuring from the center of the pouch to the fingerloop.  If you have nothing else to go by, give that a try. It'll at least get you in the ball park.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 7:46pm

Rat Man wrote on Feb 23rd, 2011 at 12:24pm:
Welcome, Sons of benjamin;
   Almost everyone who posts here will give you a different answer.  Your best bet is to experiment and find what works for you.  I believe that the ideal sling length is half of your height.  I'm 6'4" so 38" is my ideal length, measuring from the center of the pouch to the fingerloop.  If you have nothing else to go by, give that a try. It'll at least get you in the ball park.

ditto, i ussually do half your eight minus a few inches or so. i barely make 5 feet, and my sling is 25 inches.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 8:39pm

I like to play in the woods, most of mine are around 20". (50cm)  My favorite is 32", (80cm), but there are lots of places that I can't use it.  Bill

IP Logged

sobieski
Descens

Slinging for fun!

Czech
Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 10:28am

Sons of benjamin wrote on Feb 22nd, 2011 at 10:51pm:
What are your preferred sling lengths.  I have made about 12-14 slings total, and while i have made some long ones (47+ inches)  my average length is around 34-37 inches (I am measuring from the center of the pouch to the end of the finger loop.  Also, my longest sling is a la mancha sling, so it has a wrist loop and is therefore longer than 100 inches total (end to end)).  My shortest is about 29-31 inches long.  What is best? I noticed that some of my longer slings are cumbersome to use with certain styles of throws (ie Greek and weaver/figure 8)

my favourite is 112cm. I am more accuracy with 112cm long sling than my 75cm long sling but it is individual.

Im back!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 3:36pm

27in is my preference, unless you are in praire lands you usually won't be able to hunt with longer slings.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:27pm

I prefer 27", and like 39"when I do my (puny Sad) distance attempts.
In fact I often do not measure them that exactly, they simply either do not quite reach the ground with the arm hanging stright down, or do not quite reach the ground when my lower arm is held parallel to the ground.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)