Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Super-heavy projectiles for the sling (Read 21228 times)
HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Re: Super-heavy projectiles for the sling
Reply #45 - May 3rd, 2011 at 11:27pm

Curious, I hope that pouch material is strong. A couple of years back I used some similar-looking suede and it failed, launching a 3 pound exercise ball backward. Ripped the tabs off one end. Pretty much identical pouch design.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #46 - May 4th, 2011 at 6:45am

it's pretty heavy duty leather, not going to break Smiley

I 'knot' the pouches by quite simply doubling over a length of cord, tying that into a basic knot to form a loop at the end - don't make it too small. I then melt the free end of the cord back into the knot.  
The loop is then passed through the holes in the pouch and the cord is then passed through the loop and pulled tight. IF you work the sides of the loop round the tabs so it's not pulling directly upwards, it looks better and is stronger.
You need to punch the holes in the pouch tabs far enough down so that the loop can grip the sides.
This holds the pouch more centrally and is about as strong an attachment as you can get.

It's much quicker and easier to do than it is to describe.

I've been thinking a bit about slinging heavy objects and olympic sports.

Slinging a heavy object with just the one arm is daft. It would make much more sense to use a larger two handed sling. Wrist loop on the retention cord and a solid toggle or handle on the release cord.
Using a style similiar to mrboss or a hammer throw would let you use much larger weights and sling them much further - albeit with reduced accuracy.

Whether or not this was ever done in battle - no idea, but it makes more sense for the hammer to have originated as a sling missile rather than the far more complicated weight with attached handle that could be thrown back at you the same way you threw it at someone else.
5lb would still be a good weight to sling with such a device - but given that it's done mostly with straight arms and anchored by your whole body weight - I reckon you could sling 10lb plus quite easily.

It would be interesting to make a heavy duty staff sling and see which is more effective. That or a two handed sling.
Any indications of two handed slings that you've come across thearos ?
I'm thinking that if there are ancient depictions of hammer thowers, maybe they were not hammers but large slings.
Just a thought.  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #47 - May 4th, 2011 at 1:07pm

The two-handed "hammer throw" sling do at least sound like an good idea(scary, from bystanders wiew, though Wink)
I have had the same thought myself, but I have never done any attempts.

Bilbo is really cool(dogs harvesting their own food like that is not always politically correct, or so I have heard Cheesy)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #48 - May 4th, 2011 at 2:30pm

lol he didn't eat the rabbit just caught it and carried it around (dead).

Bilbo doesn't like raw meat much.

Phoenix would have eaten it - but we didn't let her just in case of any parasites.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #49 - May 5th, 2011 at 5:46pm

i dont care that he killed a rabbit, i just thunk it is funny that there are enough of them around for bilbo to catch. we have six dogs that run around our house, so the only thing that is safe is squirrels. Cheesy

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #50 - May 10th, 2011 at 11:19am

yeah rabbits are almost - but not quite - getting back to serious nuisance numbers.

The ones we eat are shot on land belonging to friends. One has horses and horses and rabbit holes are a bad combination and the other has a plant nursery - nuff said Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #51 - May 10th, 2011 at 9:24pm

In your rambles, have you tried hitting a rabbit with a sling?  That is one of the things I plan to try this fall.  And to not get off topic, do you think a 5 pound rock will work?  Bill

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #52 - May 18th, 2011 at 6:42am

And if you succeed you'll have a instant ground meat... Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)