Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Video: sling competition in Andalucia, Spain. (Read 4122 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Video: sling competition in Andalucia, Spain.
Feb 14th, 2011 at 1:44pm

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Video: sling competition in Andalucia, Spain.
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 2:29pm

Looks less formal than those others.  Would have enjoyed being there.
timann

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 4:52pm

couldn't help but notice some of the slingers were much better than others. several didn't put the "snap" into the end of the throw that gives the stone velocity. the stones on those throws flew with a very high arc and barely had the distance to make it to the target if at all. interesting. some very nice throws too. i've been working on my accuracy lately. i had been throwing 90-95% power every throw and i'd say i've reduced it to about 75-80. i still let that snap go at the end though. accuracy is getting there. nice video.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 6:30pm

I always wonder why they always sling at such low power and "arc" the rock a lot for me at least it would seem to be easier to sling at about 70% power and then I wouldn't have to worry about angling the tragectory of the rock as much. Anybody know?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 11:01pm

Dan wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 6:30pm:
I always wonder why they always sling at such low power and "arc" the rock a lot for me at least it would seem to be easier to sling at about 70% power and then I wouldn't have to worry about angling the tragectory of the rock as much. Anybody know?

Because they sling at a fixed distance so "bullet drop" error due to inaccurate range estimation is not an issue. With low power, easy type, slinging fatigue is reduced and consistency from shot to shot is increased so consequently better scores.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 9:36am

I sling at 80% for a few reasons

1.  consistancy/control.  At 100% I'm very sloppy.

2.  Look at the age of some of those slingers.  If I slung at 100%, I'd blow my elbow out in a year or 2.  I wanna sling until the day I die (hopefully as a very active old man).

3. I can sling all day without fatigue or injury.  More practice = better accuracy.

4.  Good form with less force usually equals the power produced with max force and bad form.

5.  A 4 ounce rock slung at 80% with a 30 inch sling can cause a lot of damage.

6. Better to hit a target at 100 miles an hour than to miss at 120 miles and hour.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 9:39am

One nice thing about seeing these videos is that after a year of steady practice, I think I could hang out with these guys and not make a fool out of myself-- as far as slinging goes Grin

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 8:29pm

Seems to be a good distance of about 50m. At that distance even a fast shot begins to look fairly curved.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 1:16pm

lol now that does look like fun.

Love the heckling and the fact that they are slinging at a sheep !

I do find it interesting that they all use the same style.

Be interesting to see what they made of some of our more exotic styles.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 2:46pm

Nice vid, David.  Just in case anyone else is having problems, the first three times I tried to watch this I was unable.  For some reason I can't watch this fully expanded, but as soon as I tried it regular size it was fine.  When slinging for accuracy and not just pure distance I also sling at about 80% power now.  It makes a huge difference.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 3:51pm

Out of all the competion videos out there this has to be some of the furthest distance to compete at. It was good see the fun they were having. The size of some of the rocks was pretty large for my taste.

IP Logged

aurelio
Descens

...then, the ape stood
and took a rock.

Spain
Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 11:29am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 20th, 2011 at 1:16pm:
Love the heckling and the fact that they are slinging at a sheep !

To clarify the origin of this unusual target, initially had the defensive function of cattle livestock against wolves and bears. For a long time no wolves or bears, unfortunately, so the pastors used the sling to correct unruly sheep or goats grazing  the plants or soil not allowed. The intention is to hit  slightly, but many pastors have confessed to me accidentally wounded or killing even some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XENlaEIHTGI&feature=player_profilepage
In this video of  the  maker and slinger master  Diego Camuñas in 1,25 minute one buyer say that he kill a goat because it is greedy.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 1:00pm

Camuñas said he killed a sheep by accident and had to carry it all day, the other guy says he did it on purpose. Kinda hard to tell from the low quality audio.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

aurelio
Descens

...then, the ape stood
and took a rock.

Spain
Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 4:35pm

Yes, yes, Rockman, he does it intentionally, saying that the goat was greedy,"golosa" he say in spanish, suggesting that she ate usually in forbiden place or more probably fruit tree. Finally this day he threw  with bad intentions. It's a moment rage fruit. You don´t forget it's a big loss for pastor.  The goat finally are eaten. I'm not sure to explain correctly in english (Rockman help me please, if my words are confuses) . Be patient with me, I'm learning english and slinging.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris)