Send Topic Print
Indian Clubs (Read 4420 times)
Drewbearsmth
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Indian Clubs
Feb 6th, 2011 at 4:15pm

Hi, Ya'll.  First post here.
  Just wanted to mention this to folks.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjIpg1h2j2s
  I've being doing indian clubs for a little bit, mostly coming out of trying to find a way to deal with my shoulders and wrists getting jerked around in aikido.  That said, I've noticed a few "slingers shoulder" related posts on here, and thought I'd post something about this.
  The transfer between indian clubs and slinging strength/stability seems really high... in fact one of the exercises virtually IS the arm motion for a figure eight throw. 
  Anyhow... it's a weight you can hold in your hand and safely swing... usually between 1 and 5 pounds.  There is a heavy version of these clubs that are handled differently, that were the original form of club ex (these lighter clubs are actually an english misunderstanding of an indian exercise that became its own discipline.)  I have carved some clubs before, but you can do a lot of this with a milk jug with water in it. 
  anyhow... there you go!  Hi.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Re: Indian Clubs
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 4:35pm

I got a set of these from my old wrestling coach. He gave them to me because he knew I juggled. I have three that weigh at least 1 pound and three that are a little lighter. I thought they were made for juggling but seemed really heavy for that. I am guessing this is what they were really meant for. i can juggle them but its a bit of a work out.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 4:44pm

Looks interesting. When I first read this I thought, this guys trying to sell us something by making it seem sling related! But looking at the video I think I was wrong, these may be perfect for preventing slingers elbow when combined with a warm-up before slinging. Anyone who wants more info on Indian clubs can go to wikipedia. Thanks for the info!

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 6:00pm

I was skeptical as well but I can definitely see how this would help in all sorts of ways. I might have to get me some of these.

IP Logged

Drewbearsmth
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 6:45pm

Geez... who'd have figured slingers for such a guarded and suspicious bunch!  Smiley
  I will sell you that $20 milk jug with water in it, if you're interested. 

In all seriousness, though, these things come from an older practice of swinging heavy clubs by indian wrestlers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FdZuzY0n1M , which in turn comes from... well... using a club as a weapon!  so there's actually a bit of interest there, eh?  Try it!  It's addictive!
  Anyhow, it's a bummer that a lot of physical things don't come with "how to keep it from tearing up your body" instructions.
  Have fun.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 7:53pm

Quite right.   Some years back, a physician and sports-medicine type invented the "heavyhands" system of aerobic exercise.  Essentially, doing aerobic exercises with small weights.   The idea was to get the upper-body musculature involved in aerobic training, as it had been found that athletes that did this (cross-country skiers, rowers, etc.) had the very highest level of aerobic fitness.
However, cross-country skiing and rowing are not exactly convenient...

Quite a lot of the little hand-weights were sold, but apparently nobody bothered to read the instructions, or to read Dr. Schwartz's books.   There were a lot of complaints about people injuring themselves with the weights.   
Actually, it was almost impossible to injure yourself...IF you followed the instructions...

To this day, I still occasionally see someone walking down the road carrying a pair of the hand-weights like they were suitcases...No movement at all.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 11:52am

Welcome to slinging.org, Drewbearsmth;
     I've never used Indian Clubs, but my dad used to swear by them.  I can see where they'd be perfect for conditioning for slinging.  Thanks for a good tip.  We do get a lot of spam here BTW.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 11:58am

I checked the ones I got from my wrestling coach. I thought they were for juggling but it says right on the side "indian clubs". This is awesome I got two sets for free.

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 4:22pm

I've got two sets. One pair are made from white oak and weigh 2lbs (http://www.revolutionclubs.net/) , the other pair are steel and weigh 3kgs (ca. 6lbs). I use the lighter ones for the more "twiddly" exercises where my wrists are not so overloaded. The steel ones are better for slow exercises and make a good substitute for a two-handed sword. I'll try to bang together a video of some of the training exercises and how they pertain to sword training.

The funny thing is club swinging used to be an Olympic event!

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)