Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
My first arrowheads.
Feb 6th, 2011 at 2:47pm

Good evening, fellow forumers!
2 days ago, I've had my longest day at the protohistorical forge.
Between other items, I've forged my first 5 iron arrowheads, because my Company will partecipate to a Medieval archery tournament in June, and we want to have all the stuff 100% historically correct.
So I've made these arrowheads, and have tried one (it works fine). I've understood the needed technique and plan to make some dozens more, for the tournament and for training.

What do you think? I'm happy with these, because I've learned the right technique, and am now able to forge an arrowhead in less than 15 minutes.

These arrowheads are of a type wildly used during half and late Middle Age, and there're a lot of archaeological foundings (I've based mines on 44 originals now stored in a museum in Northern Italy, dating to late XIVth Century).

Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: My first arrowheads.
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 8:30pm

Those are neat!  Are the tips chisel shaped on purpose or are you getting some type of impact fracture from your target?  Bill

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 12:08am

That type of point was supposed to be able to penetrate chain mail better than broadheads. Not effective against plate armor, but that wasn't common until later.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:30am

Really neat stuff Mauro. Those look like they would get the job done admirably, and quite painfully.  Wink

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 7:38am

Hallo guys, and thank you all for your kind comments!

To be honest, I've chosen this particular shape because it doesn't need much work.
Being my first arrowheads, I was determined to understand the technique needed to make the housing for the cane, more than practicing in making the points. In Italian, these particular arrowheads are called "punte a cartoccio"...
As you can see, only arrow #5 is a bit more accurate: that's because it was the last one and I was willing to make it nice, even in the point.
Yes, this particular point was used to penetrate chain mails, which were common during the age we re-enact: from 1270 to 1330.

Logically, we don't use iron arrowheads when we re-enact battles, but sugar caps and shorter arrows  Smiley
During tournaments, we use targets of different materials: wood, ceramic, glass and straw, and this kind of point is suitable for them all.

I'm happy that you like my arrowheads; this morning I've just forged a knife that we will use for cooking, based on some depicted in miniatures. I'm now going downstair to give it a handle  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)