Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trebuchets are drug paraphenalia (Read 4972 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Trebuchets are drug paraphenalia
Jan 28th, 2011 at 4:29am

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Re: Trebuchets are drug paraphenalia
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 7:27am

I just read about this in the newpaper and was about to make a post about it. Very funny. Grin

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 10:36am

If the DEA shuts down your tunnels....     I must say, it doesn't look like a very good trebuchet.. Maybe they need to watch more Mythbusters or Punkin' Chunkin' vids.....

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 1:18pm

Bikewer wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 10:36am:
If the DEA shuts down your tunnels....     I must say, it doesn't look like a very good trebuchet.. Maybe they need to watch more Mythbusters or Punkin' Chunkin' vids.....

It's lame. But it got the goods over the fence, which is all it was asked to do. Big 60 feet, from what I read. And it was detected fast and confiscated by the authorities. Maybe it was a decoy to get the Mexican Feds away from the really important event.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 1:31pm

given that it was powered by bungee cords (what it looks like) and not a free weight.
is it still a trebuchet ?

i do like the idea though.
(while not advocating drug smuggling in any way Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 4:12pm

Stupid and lame but funny.  The smugglers lost a nice Hummer in the process.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:14am

Flying high indeed Grin

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 1:23pm

Trebuchet or catapult? Depends on the definition of each. You could call a treb a type of catapult. Some say it's typified by the counterweight while others (myself included) say that the arm being a Class 1 lever is what counts. The original trebs were staff slings pivoting over a framework, which are now called traction trebuchets. http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/htt/htt01.html

It looks to me like the Mexican Feds are using their Hummer to haul away the smugglers' SUV and trailer.

IP Logged

GreatWhiteWolf
Tiro

New Player to an Old Game

TX
Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 2:17pm

I have to agree with HurlinThom and Curious_Aardvark. I think it constitutes as a catapult, not a trebuchet, because I think trebuchets are defined by their hanging mass system. It can be pretty speculative, though. Last night we got into a discussion about whether a ballista (essentially a giant crossbow) was a catapult, or a seperate weapon. Is a catapult a specific weapon, or would it encompass most of the projectile seige weapons?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."&&-2nd Amendment, U.S. Constitution

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 6:10pm

What constitutes a catapult or a trebuchet is dependent on how you define the terms. The earliest use of the term catapult was the Greek katapeltes, which referred to a crossbow-type machine. Approximate meaning, beater down of shields, used to break up formations of spear-and-shield men. Latin catpulta was a dart-firing ballista. The Roman onager, also called manganum or mangonel was a later development, and not called a catapult, though that's what the modern conception looks like. Actually the cartoon/Hollywood catapults would probably not function in the real world.

A trebuchet can be defined by the counterweight or by it having a Class 1 lever as an arm: force at one end moves the other end, with the fulcrum between. What is called a traction trebuchet is operated by people pulling on ropes, not by counterweight. To further confuse things the French have three terms, trebuchet means one with a suspended counterweight, mangonneau being one with the weight fixed directly to the arm and perrier being the traction trebuchet.

And the Arabs called a trebuchet al-manjaniq, their version of mangonel.

And mangonel comes from the Greek Manganon, a general term for siege engine.

And in British English a catapult is what Americans call a slingshot, which has no sling.

Anyhow, you can see that there's a lot of flexbility in the terms. To a certain extent it depends on the historical period or country in question.

IP Logged

GreatWhiteWolf
Tiro

New Player to an Old Game

TX
Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:41pm

I tip my hat to you, Hurlinthom. You are a worthy scholar =P

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."&&-2nd Amendment, U.S. Constitution

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 9:50pm

GWW, thanks for not saying I'm a know-it-all.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)