Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: melee or ranged for zombies

« Last Modified by: paracordslinger on: Apr 28th, 2011 at 9:46pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Ultimate Zombie Melee Weapon? (Read 87152 times)
Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Ultimate Zombie Melee Weapon?
Jan 18th, 2011 at 3:15am

I was wandering around in the vast wilderness that is the World Wide Web, when I stumbled upon an article, a blog post actually, that described the Maori mere, a short warclub, generally made of New Zealand greenstone, a type of local jade.  The story is that a skilled warrior could thrust the sharp edge of the weapon into an opponents skull and with a twist of the wrist, actually wrench the top of the skull off. Shocked

So, does anybody have any more information on this thing.  Is that a myth? Is is proven anywhere? I know the British had a hell of a time subduing the Maori in the 1800s...maybe becasue they all had the tops of their heads removed?

By the way, the Wikipedia site has some good pictures and information.

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Re: Ultimate Zombie Melee Weapon?
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 10:28am

my ultimate zombie weapon would be my cold steel kukri machete or my tomahawk, or if i can get it a shaolin spade.  "If"  this happens,  nopt when but if,  Ill most likely abandon firearms perhaps expend the last of the ammo in the beginning and go light back to primitive weapons.  I have about 1050 .22 LR rounds that would be perfect for zombie-extermination,  if I keep my cool I or any other companions can drop em 1 at a time,  then retreat as carefully as possible(droppin a few as we go) out into the wild up to Northern Alaska  Wink.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 11:55am

An Incan star mace. A bronze head on a wooden handle. Not the most elegant weapon, but it was specifically designed to smash heads.

inca_h110_002.jpg (120 KB | )
inca_h110_002.jpg

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 12:15pm

if you watch the program (can't remember what the series is called) - shaolin monk versus maori warrior.
He has one.

Hilarious program.

Every time the monk uses a non-fatal weapon the maori guy says: 'yeah, but while you've broke my arm, I've got close enough to rip yer bloody head off mate'.

The green stone knife/axe looked seriously nasty.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 12:25pm

Deadliest Warriors it is called

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 12:47pm

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 12:53pm

He cracked the cow skull like it was nothing.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 3:20pm

This seems to happen a lot lately. Someone will mention something that I just watched the night before. That was a funny episode though. I got the sense that most of the weapons chosen from the Shaolin side (presumably by the shows producers) were specifically chosen to make the contest closer than it actually would have been.

One of the weapons, the hook swords, were absolutely devastating. While the other three from an actual fighting stand point were kind of a joke. The shaolin still won though.

And yea, what you say is true C_A. Everytime..."Yea so they cut me wide open, but now I'm gonna rip his head off!" Funny stuff.  Grin

As far as the zombie question goes are we talking undead zombie or disease zombie. Undead I would go with some sort of head basher. Diseased I would go with a light sword like a katana.

IP Logged

Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

hiding somewhere in Indiana
Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 4:17pm

no offense meant, but For diseased, I don't think a katana would work to well unless you're strong enough to hack straight through a limb or skull with one solid strike, not to mention whether a skinny blade would actually hold up after repeated use unless it was very well made. It seems like a heavy machete or stout short sword would work better, as long as you could still maneuver quickly with it. Also easier to build from scrap metals.

Edit: it seems like a terrible idea to go melee  against a disease zombie. it would be a disease of the blood if it could also be spread through saliva, you would have to wear like a painter's suit to avoid getting infected from the blood splatter.

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 5:00pm

Cthulhu wrote on Jan 18th, 2011 at 4:17pm:
it seems like a terrible idea to go melee  against a disease zombie. it would be a disease of the blood if it could also be spread through saliva, you would have to wear like a painter's suit to avoid getting infected from the blood splatter.

You'd have the fluid problem with any zombie.  A tactical painter's suit though,  Huh hmm...

I actually brought this up becasue I just finished reading World War Z and he references the mere, but in metal.  Has anybody heard of this made in metal?  Would it be feasible?

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 5:19pm

Makiakiasaurus, again that show is still preditable the use a light steel knife and a heavy club in a blunt force trauma test of course the heavy club won. Though an iron mere with the same size, shape, and weight would be pretty beast  Shocked .

Anyway poor show but, a really cool weapon. I think with zombies this weapon would only be good on less than a dozen or so enemies past that they might overwhelm you in such case a longer weapon (example cold steel gun stock warclub Smiley  Cool )  would be better to keep them at a distance and have the mere as a back up or perhaps an AA-12  with Frag-12 rounds if you have the budget.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:07pm

I dunno about the gunstock warclub, that little blade seems like a liability, I could see it sticking.  How thick is that blade anyway?  Would it bend?  It's neither a cutting weapon nor a bludgeon, so it may be only mediocre at either task.  How heavy is it? As heavy as a bat?  If not, I could see it having trouble cracking the skull in a single blow.  I do think that it could be a fearsome weapon against a limited amount of zeds, but I don't think that is what you were going for.

I do think an iron or steel mere would be a great backup weapon, though.

On the topic of deadliest warrior: I find it funny that they are wrong in their facts, but they still proclaim them as if they are clearly correct, and anybody who disagrees is an idiot.  For example, the episode with the Roman centurion.  They claimed he wore butted mail, but, unless I am much mistaken, nobody, least of all a Roman centurion, wore butted mail.  I actually ran across a test someone did that showed how when a broadhead struck a target in butted mail, it would not only punch through, but also drive broken rings into the flesh.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:30am

I don't know about it being the best, but a good hardwood ball headed warclub has quite an impact and is designed to crush skulls, it's lightweight and easy to carry, can also be used pretty well up close.  My kit would probably consist of some type of sword like a katana and a light but strong shield, for primitive I would go with a roman or viking shield but for modern a riot shield along with the helmet with visor.  The other thing I thought about the other day was that if you wore full chainmail it would be pretty frigging hard for a zombie to bite you...it will stop a sharks bite.  In which case the shield, full leather clothing and chainmail gloves and around my neck/shoulders for armor.
  The one thing that must be remembered though is that zombies attack in masses, so you don't want to use a weapon that allows them to get too close, and you don't want to use a weapon that will get embedded in someone and you won't be able to get it out in time for the next attacker.
  I've always thought a sling in a scenario like in Dawn Of The Dead the remake, where you are on top of an apartment building and there are masses of zombies below you.  You could just sit up there with a makeshift sling and chuck all kinds of projectiles at them and probably get a lot of kills as you would be shooting down so a lot of headshots would result.
  A cool weapon on deadliest warrior belonged to an African tribe, I can't remember the name... it was made of iron and looked a little like a swastika, but it was a phalus symbol for the tribe, kind of a I'm a man weapon that was thrown like a giant throwing star.  I think the opponent was an aztec jaguar.  That thing was extremely devastating.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #13 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 2:20am

LukeWebb wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:30am:
with the helmet with visor.  The other thing I thought about the other day was that if you wore full chainmail it would be pretty frigging hard for a zombie to bite you...it will stop a sharks bite.  

A helemt would only cut down on your vision.  Zombies aren't going for a headshot, although a splatter shield might be nice.  And chainmail is not a viable alternative to not getting bitten, besides it being a lound hinderance.  By the way, I'm paraphrasing from the Zombie Survival Guide.  The author goes into helmets and chainmail in depth and essentially nixes both.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:13am

LukeWebb wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:30am:
 A cool weapon on deadliest warrior belonged to an African tribe, I can't remember the name... it was made of iron and looked a little like a swastika, but it was a phalus symbol for the tribe, kind of a I'm a man weapon that was thrown like a giant throwing star.  I think the opponent was an aztec jaguar.  That thing was extremely devastating.

The knife is called a mambele, and different tribes make them in different shapes all over Sub-Saharan Africa. For a while I was kinda obsessed with getting one. The best site to look at them is The Guido T.Poppe Collection Website because it breaks the knives down into categories and tells you which tribe makes which knife for what. A really cool bit of information is that some Bantu descended tribes have a religious taboo against touching iron with bare skin, so they actually trade for their mambele with another tribe and have the hilts wrapped in copper wire up to the ricasso.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)