Send Topic Print
Fish chopping (Read 3777 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Fish chopping
Jan 7th, 2011 at 9:49am

Unfortunately I can't remember which one but I was recently reading a survival manual (one of those giant ones that are more like an encyclopedia than a guide) and it said, in the jungle survival/fishing section, somthing along the lines of "use the back of your machete to chop downward on fish in a small pool" and then recently I got the ideah of using a switch if you don't have a machete.

The advantage to this as opposed to a spear is that it covers a longer surface area giving you a better chance to hit your prey as opposed to using a spear, the disadvantage is that you can't penetrate deep water and I have no ideah if this would really work or not.

So can blunt force truama really kill a fish in this manor, or is this just some impractical info written by an armchair suvivalist.      

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Fish chopping
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 3:32pm

I've seen it done a long time ago. It works, sort of. You can sometimes end up stunning the fish instead of killing it so it will be alive and breathing but it won't swim away from you when you try to catch it.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 7:34pm

I have killed finger sized minnows in shallow water with a piece of rivercane.  I then used the small fish to bait up a couple of poles I had set for catfish.  It will work if the waer is not too deep and is clear enough to see the fish.  If I remember right, there was a lot of splashing for not a whole lot of bait.  The machete thing would probably work, why not use the sharp edge?  So what if it cuts your supper in half, you are going to eat it anyway.  And if it is severely cut somwhere, it probably won't come to and swim off while you are trying to rake it out with a branch.  Bill

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 10:50pm

Though the machete or switch would work, especially coming down on a school of small fish in shallow water, a spear, when used correctly has the advantage.  Light refracts on the surface of the water, so what you see below isn't where you think it is.  An experienced spear fisherman will stick part of his spear gently into the water prior to striking.  The spear will appear to bend where it enters the water... this "bend" gives you the correct angle of refraction and you can actually hit what you're aiming for.  You can't do this if you're just chopping down onto the water with something.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 11:58pm

To stun the fish you don't actually have to hit it; it will get concussed from a near miss. Switching is easier to do, spearing is easier to do well.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 5:46am

bare hands,  ive done this before in a pool where small minnows are stuck,  they are very elusive of course with those nerves of theirs I forgot what they're called but u cant approach a fish without alerting it of your presence.  also a dip net is better than nothing,  ive done this many time on smelts and large salmon,  and I say its quite effective.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 9:24am

Bill Skinner wrote on Jan 7th, 2011 at 7:34pm:
I have killed finger sized minnows in shallow water with a piece of rivercane.  I then used the small fish to bait up a couple of poles I had set for catfish.  It will work if the waer is not too deep and is clear enough to see the fish.  If I remember right, there was a lot of splashing for not a whole lot of bait.  The machete thing would probably work, why not use the sharp edge?  So what if it cuts your supper in half, you are going to eat it anyway.  And if it is severely cut somwhere, it probably won't come to and swim off while you are trying to rake it out with a branch.  Bill

You would use the back side so you if you hit a rock after chopping you wouldn't chip the blade.

Thanks for the info guys.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 10:10am

i would think it easier and more efficient if you spent twenty minutes using your machette to build a sieve (sort of a primitive tennis racquete made from a switch and interlaced bark strips) and then just scooped the fish out. i've used this method dozens of times to great success.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 11:18pm

A small explosive devise thrown into the water works best. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 12:31am

Back in the good old days of feudal Japan they taught us how to grab fish out of the river without getting our hands wet.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 5:15am

Morphy wrote on Jan 10th, 2011 at 12:31am:
Back in the good old days of feudal Japan they taught us how to grab fish out of the river without getting our hands wet.  

Suspiciously those kind of feats are always "lost" arts... Wink

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 9:56am

fishing is the one food gathering activity that differs dramatically the world over. unlike a lot of other 'primitive' skill sets which, apart from slight differences, are very similar across the globe, fishing usually has its own unique method specific to region and type of prey. hooks, nets, spears, corralling, traps, poison, you name it are used in drastically different ways by different cultures. when looked at as a whole, the variety of methods is actually staggering. over the years, i've tried most of them in one form or another and found two that i think work the best for me. one is the Inuit style fish spear, which if one is patient, can bring in substantial meals fairly easily. and, two, the corralling method where you build barriers and a small damn and trap large numbers of fish in a tight area. this requires running water such as a stream or river and a considerable amount of labor, but it can produce enough fish to feed a LOT of people. i say, whatever works for you and puts dinner on the hut floor is a viable method. the trick is not to expend more energy than you are potentially going to bring in.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris)