Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first atlatl and Birchbark fletched atlatl dart (Read 6240 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
My first atlatl and Birchbark fletched atlatl dart
Dec 29th, 2010 at 8:34pm

Hey, here's my first atlatal.  It and the dart haven't been varnished/stained yet so they should look nicer in a bit.  The atlatl body is made of spruce and the fin with the spur is made of pine I think, ( I was short on wood and I scavenged the pine from a broken desk.)  The spur is antler, the wrapping on the handle and the wrist loop are of jute, and the atlatl is about 25in. long I think.  The designs and pictures I did with a woodburner I got for Christmas, I'd never used one before and I must say I like how it works and looks, has a nice authentic look to it.

The dart is made from a 1/2in. ash dowel and the fletchings are white birch bark, with a steel tubing mini-broadhead that got bent up sticking the dart into frozen earth repeatedly this afternoon.

To make the birchbark fletchings you simply make two cuts with a saw or you could split the wood in a controlled fashion, (split it down to a node if using cane,) in a crisscross fashion, quartering the dart the length of the fletchings plus about 1in. extra.  next cut two rectangles of birchbark, (or cardboard,) to the appropriate fletching length and fold them lengthwise. Insert the folded bark rectangle into on of the V shape cuts, then insert the other folded bark fletching into the opposing V shape cut.  This makes a 4 feather fletching.  Now whip directly above the fletching until you comve near the end of the dart, (I suggest west county whippn') and to be super safe about splitting  you could whip below the fletchings as well.  This pulls the quartered dowel end back together and keeps the fletchings firmly affixed.  Next you can cut the fletchings to shape and size and your done!  You need not use any glue, and if the vanes get damaged, ( threw it all afternoon and it went straight down through some 30ft.+ spruce trees without hardly any damage to the fletchings,) you can simply remove the whipping above them, pull them out and insert a new one(s).  I see this as an excellent dart to be made on a low budget or in a survival situation as the fletching can all be done with only a little twine or other binding material and a knife.

Please post comments and advice and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Re: My first atlatl and Birchbark fletched atlatl
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 9:37pm

Luke, I really like your atlatl!
I especially like the signs, I love the heat marking technique, and often add it to my items! You've been really careful, nice job! Truly!
And the idea of the "wooden feathers"  Smiley of the dart, is another thing that I like - minimum effort leading to the same result than a more complicated work! Congratulations!!!
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 10:20pm

very nice man..i like the woodburning.

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 11:39pm

Does birchbark count as wood?  Not sure... Huh  I made them that way cause I didn't have any feathers and I think they are working just as well, also this style of fletching leaves the feathers closer together on two sides and a little wider and farther apart on the other.  So when I use it with the atlatl the I keep the wide spaced side down and I can have large fletchings without them hitting the atlatl.

How do you suppose they did this with arrows though?  I tried it and the feathers on the inside get destroyed!  A two vane fletch might work and would would with this method, but I would think that would hit your hand and the rest...

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 7:15am

Uhm... I do not know if they truly use your method, for the arrows, but I've seen some archers on History Channel who were using arrows with feathers made of large, hard leaves. Still, I don't know how effective can be such a arrow, I'd have to test it out  Smiley
I simply like the idea, which is, howewer, really good for darts!
Crossbow darts used wooden or bronze "feathers" in the Middle Age, but this's another story  Cheesy
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 3:36am

nice rig, man  Wink the designs are really cool. gotta get you some feathers, though. though you do get points for ingenuity, you'd actually be better off without any fletchings at all versus those bark ones, i'd think. the Australian aboriginals have been doing without them for 50,000 years and they throw pretty good.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 4:40pm

Perhaps, but I would have to balance the shaft just right.  It seems to be flying really good with them, no tumbling, very straight flight, I can hit within a 4 foot radius consistently with it, even scoring 3 baseball sized bullseyes 3 out of 15 shots I took this afternoon.  The feathers I did have on there went through a tree and got ripped off, so I came up with this so they wouldn't need glue, so far I have put them through quite a few trees and they haven't gotten damaged hardly any. 
  I will be getting some feathers in a bit though!

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 5:52pm

Outstanding work.  I wonder what your 15th will look like?  Your 1st is way better than a lot of atlatls that I have seen, some of those were made by guys who have been throwing for years.  Bill

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #8 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 7:26pm

Well I have to confess that I did a good study of Paleoarts atlatls before I made it.  It's not a direct copy of any of his but I picked out some of the features like having the spur raised up, the wrist loop and the rounded top portion of the body of it.  I'm sure it would have been less refined if I hadn't had good examples to work from.

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 6:43pm

thanks, man  Smiley

you don't need glue for feather fletchings, but you do need to make sure the wrap at the front completely covers the quill. this is probably why yours got ripped of. twigs, leaves, and grass get jammed in between the quill and the dart and cause it to seperate. i have darts that are tied on without glue that have survived thousands of tosses just fine.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 11:26pm

Luke, that's one snazzy looking atlatl.  Nice work!

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 12:45am

I've got a good method for making darts now I think, not primitive but I'm working on that.  I'm making up some darts right now using spruce boards.  I just rip them into long square shafts on my table saw, then I whittle or rasp them round and smoothe them off!  Mad a 5' 6" one and an 8' one today, gotta cut around the knots.  I will put  a tip and fletchings on them and try them out tomorrow, they are about 3/4in. wide, a little thicker than the 1/2in. I see for most darts, but they are also soft wood and very flexible so I think that will cancel it out, the 8ft. one weighs a little less than my 6ft. ash one and the spruce one is 2 ft. longer and 1/4 of an inch wider, so I think it needs the extra width.

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 12:49am

That is also a good way to make arrows, any pics?

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 8:53am

I love the woordburning on your atlatl. The mammoth hunting scene is totally cool!

How well do the birch bark fletchings hold up when you use your dart?

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #14 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 7:44pm

So far they are holding up really well, the trick is to get a single layer.  Birchbark has layers and what you need to do is find the thickest layer, once you have that it won't separate any more and your only enemy is tearing with the grain, so I put the grain going in toward the shaft so it will only tear that way and not right off the shaft.  So far after a good bit of throwing and sending it through a lot of spruce, birch saplings and undergrowth I only have a couple splits, that don't hurt the dart at all really.  The problem I am having is that the birchbark has now curled, so it isn't making a very good X anymore, the bark is curling toward each fletching as the grain of the tree whent that way.  You can straighten it by heating it and bending it back, but I think this won't be a problem if you use the right bark.  I had a piece that  was curled up in a cylinder and dried, so I think if you dried it pressed flat it wouldn't curl on you as a fletching.  It only started to curl though after about 4 days, so if you needed it quick it would still last you that long and you could have some good stuff dried and pressed by then.

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)