Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SCORE!!!! (rivercane as atlatl darts) (Read 2638 times)
PaleoLogic
Tiro

Hey y'all watch this

Kissimmee,Fl
SCORE!!!! (rivercane as atlatl darts)
Dec 17th, 2010 at 10:48pm

I was driving up to the store with my dad earlier and just happened to look over at a creek that ran under the overpass and saw a bunch of huge stands of rivercane, me and the pops are gonna go harvest as much as we can tomarrow and probably spend all day making Atlatl darts, I can't wait. It's amazing since getting into all the "primitive" technologies and weapons how something so simple can please you so much, but I'm not complaining  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2012 at 3:23pm by Mauro Fiorentini »  

"Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than in a whole one." - E B White

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Re: SCORE!!!!
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 11:03pm

sweet, dude! do you know what kind it is? most stands of river cane these days aren't actually 'cane' at all, but Arundo Donax which is actually an invasive grass from the mediterranien (?). fortunately, it also makes excellent darts, albeit a little light. a few tips to harvesting. try and get to the middle of the stand. this is where the cane will be the highest and straightest as shoots fight for sunlight. look for shoots that are already a golden tan in color or just slightly green. it's much easier to make darts from shafts that are already partialy seasoned. look for shafts around 1/2'' to 5/8'' at the base with as little taper going up as possible. take a VERY sharp knife and slash the bases at an angle rather than sawing or using cutters. this will prevent splitting and save you as much of the shoot as possible. harvest three times what you actually want as you're bound to ruin some when you straighten as well as finding hidden defects. heap your harvest into a bundle and tie, then trim the thinner tops to around 9' (no less than 8'). you can always cut down later. happy gathering! Wink

Chris

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

PaleoLogic
Tiro

Hey y'all watch this

Kissimmee,Fl
Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 11:44pm

not sure if it is actually cane or Arundo Donax but it is definatly one of the 2, and thank you very much for the tips on harvesting it, alot of that I didnt know at all, so it will help alot in getting the most out of the shoots, I can't wait gonna be a good day tomarrow  Grin

"Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than in a whole one." - E B White

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 10:05am

I use them for making the pipe for my Iron Age bellow. I have a lot of them because, with time and usage, they slowly burn out!
Never thougth to make atlatl darts, but they work very fine as arrows, with bone inserts at the edges and a flint arrowhead  Cheesy
Yes, only thinking in primitive way gives you that particular feeling!!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 8:03pm

I´ve seen those plants before. They grow next to sources of water. If I ever see one, I´ll try to get it.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 11:09pm

on a side note, arundo donax is the premier cane used in many different instrument reeds.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2010 at 1:18pm

Have fun, I agre with you in that I would rather have a truck heaping egg sized river rocks (maybe some flint as well) than an I phone, I pod, etc. and would have much more joy in such a simple thing.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2010 at 3:31pm

Would love to see some pics of your finished work. Cane is so good for so many things.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 4:56am

Cool, I have to buy that stuff pretty expensive at the garden centre....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)