Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How far can you shoot with lead bullets ? (Read 8738 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: How far can you shoot with lead bullets ?
Reply #30 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 9:53pm

I dunno, C-A: you earlier wrote that a slinger could't hit a barn at 500 m. But now you say it's easy to hit a barn at 400 m ?

There is, admittedly, 100m difference. But which one is it: is 400-500 m an unfeasibly far distance for anyone, so that wind or air temperature will deviate shot hopelessly and the slinger can't even see where his shot is landing and hence has no idea of how hard to sling, or is it perfectly reasonable to expect a trained slinger to hit a house at that distance (or, perhaps more realistically, to land a bullet among 1000 men, as in the account of Xenophon) ?

We can speculate. We can experiment. We can study our sources closely. Hence the value of hte passage of Xenophon (Anabsis 3.2-4), which I would urge everyone with an interest in slinging to read again.

I would maintain the diff. between war-slinging and short-slinging; it's a thought inspired by something Paleoarts wrote a while back. En masse slinging at long distance-- say 250-300m-- with special ammo, in groups of 500 or 1000, is diff. from the shepherd's slinging. You're right that short range accuracy (say 60 m) must give you the control and the skill to fight with a sling. But I still think it's very different contexts, and uses, of the same artifact.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 11:39am

Icast up some 1 ounce bank sinkers, tied a piece of flagging tape to the top and let fly.  My Rockman sling is set up to throw much larger projectiles so that didn't work too well.  Made a 3 strand PJ about 32" (85cm) and let fly.  Didn't find but one, I had to put a piece of plastic flagging about a foot long on it, (30cm) to find it.  It went no where near as far as I can throw a clay gland, I didn't even pace the distance.  It looked like about 3" (8cm) was above ground.  The ground is pretty soft right now due to rain, I am thinking about trying some yarn as it is lighter and should have less air resistance. I also plan to borrow a cheap metal detector.  Bill

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #32 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 1:23pm

That streamer's has got to take out most of the energy...

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #33 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 8:19pm

Thearos wrote on Jan 1st, 2011 at 1:23pm:
That streamer's has got to take out most of the energy...

Exactly, all your advantage of having a lead projectile will be eaten up by the drag of the streamer. You may as well sling ordinary stones.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #34 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 8:30pm

Thearos wrote on Dec 17th, 2010 at 6:54pm:
Rockman: there's a mathematical formula for this, no ? School physics: if you double the hight from which you shoot, with the same speed, your shot will fall ??? % further

Unfortunately there is no simple formula that can be applied in all case; heaps of variables involved, certainly nothing as easy as double the height, double the distance. There will be gain but much much less than a straight ratio.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris)