Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sierra Nevada Sling - First Try (Read 4151 times)
me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sierra Nevada Sling - First Try
Dec 6th, 2010 at 11:40am

Made my first SN sling yesterday using 5/32" nylon.  I was kinda surprised at how quick it was.  The pouch strands are a little uneven, but you have to look really close.  It's probably one of those "I made it, so I know every little problem" things. 

Anyway, I am surprised at the accuracy potential.  The weight and stiffness of the thicker nylon cords allows me to focus on going slow and getting good technique without worrying about the sling getting slack enough to drop the rock prematurely.  First try was about 15' wide left.  The second, slower and more focused throw was dead on laterally, and about 3" high.  I haven't practiced consistently in over 2 months, so this seems pretty good to me.  Also, out of sheer chance, I got the length just right, which helps.  Slow, accurate throws still give plenty of power.  Off to try a paracord Rockman and a 12 strand jute Rockman.  The Rockman is still my favorite method, but my SN and Shaped Pouch will be getting some time now, since I gave away my last Rockman.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Re: Sierra Nevada Sling - First Try
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 2:05pm

The Sierra Nevada sling is one of the first slings I made. The Rockman is a modified Sierra Nevada sling, the model inspired me to make a variant of my own.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 2:14pm

Oddly enough, I've never made a SN sling.  I'll have to give it a try.  I just bought some nice Polypropylene at my favorite dollar store that looks perfect for such an application.  I need a new challenge, plus I've always liked the looks of and  been curious about the effectiveness of that sort of sling.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 2:35pm

A Sierra Nevada is more or less a balearic. Back when I made one years ago, I didnīt get good results because the cords were thin and limp. I have a sissal sierra nevada I made some months ago and it works just fine.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:40pm

the key to not screw up like i have everytime is like rockman said, never make the pouch thin and floppy at teh same time. sure the pouch could be thin as a wire, but if it's as stiff as a wire as well then it will work.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 9:40pm

Some of my best first slings were SN slings but then I changed over and added duct tape pouches and it allowed to throw a wider variety of ammo and then I discovered baleric style slings and have been indulging in those for a while.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 10:50pm

The simplicity is what gets me.  I did try one long ago using Jute, but it was way to thin.  This is the way to go, or maybe paracord.  I was done in less than an hour, with kid interuptions and all.  Jute is still the cheapest material I've found.  I can make a 12 strand Rockman for $1.  These SN slings cost about $7 in materials.  The jute ones take time though.  The PJ sling is also quite simple, but it takes some time and practice to get good pouches with no twist or kinks.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 8:33am

Wow my SN slings usually cost less than 20cents try just using more twine, I usually do a 6-12 ,with narrow jute strands, starting out.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 12:47pm

A lot of my slinging is done with this kind of slings.  For trouble-free slinging I make the split just long enoug for tennis balls, and can still sling basically any stone with them.  I find them fast and easy to make, and material cost is minimal.  With paracord-size strands I use just 3 strands, usually I use 6 thinner strands for a 3-strand braid.
With wery thin stuff it`s time to use 5-strand braid and give it an ultra-balearic look, or just double up each strand even more.
timann

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 4:04pm

Interesting. Must be something in the air. I just made my first one a couple weeks ago. Or at least I think it's a SN.  Used 1/8" diam. jute. Five strand flat braid for finger loop; dropped two strands within an inch and round braided to the pouch. Here I added three strands so I could use a 7 strand braid; continued round braiding and dropping strands. It turned out to be one of my better looking slings, but it is the worse one I ever made. For some reason, it won't let go of the ammo (t ball or rocks) soon enough. I throw fig 8 overhand and just about hit my left foot Shocked I know I could learn to throw with this sling, but I like fast releasing slings like the seatbelt and the straight hemp or wool over hemp split pouch slings I normally make.

Going to try another sv using hemp to see if the jute is the problem.  Was going to make a sn out of my yucca fiber, but won't until I get this sorted out.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 12:44pm

I make both the La Honda Manchega  and the Sierra Nevada slings ...
more often the La Honda Manchega style as I like the weight ...

generally a five braid adding strands till 10 strands are  paired up
into the 5 braid which then split into two five braids for the pouch

I then drop strands in the release side for a nice taper.

They are my favs, as they braid up real fast.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 1:02pm

Steven wrote on Dec 8th, 2010 at 12:44pm:
I make both the La Honda Manchega  and the Sierra Nevada slings ...
more often the La Honda Manchega style as I like the weight ...

generally a five braid adding strands till 10 strands are  paired up
into the 5 braid which then split into two five braids for the pouch

I then drop strands in the release side for a nice taper.

They are my favs, as they braid up real fast.

Ditto, and I occasionally use la honda manchega style retention toggles on my slings.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Chris)