Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Quarterstaves (Read 7778 times)
Samurismallz

Why am I wasting slinging
time on this forum?

Quarterstaves
Dec 4th, 2010 at 11:24pm

I recently became interested in Quarterstaves, since they seem to be a popular weapon in books.  I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a 6-7 foot quarterstaff, preferably ash.  If you do, post it here.  Any other ideas can be posted here as well.

Take life as it comes.  Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.&&&&There is one rule, above all others, for a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.&&&&Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Quarterstaves
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 1:22am

Making a quarterstaff is easy. Just find yourself a sapling of the type of wood your looking for. No knots or branches and as straight as possible. Ash grows as straight as you could want so that shouldn't be a problem. Cut it, debark it and dip both ends in lacquer or paint 4-5 inches. Clamp or tie it down with inner tube strips to a stout board along it's entire length to help it dry straight then find a warm dry place to let it cure. With Ash the clamping is optional though it can help. If the tree your using has very straight grain there is no need. Once it's cured for 3 days put a fan on either side to speed up the drying. If it warps badly, which is unusual with ash you can heat bend it straight.

You can also buy yourself a hardwood board and make one from that. Much faster but not quite as satisfying.

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 7:36am

Not sure where in the world you are but you might like this http://www.quarterstaff.org/

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

Samurismallz

time on this forum?

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 8:32am

I live miles away from any trees I could cut down (legally), so getting it from a tree would be tricky.  I have heard oak makes a good staff, but I'm not sure.  Also, I was thinking about putting iron caps on the ends so it doesnt wear down and it will have an extra punch.

Take life as it comes.  Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.&&&&There is one rule, above all others, for a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.&&&&Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 10:20am

How come noone ever talks about halfstaves, threequarterstaves, or the dreaded wholestave

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 11:36am

dork wrote on Dec 5th, 2010 at 10:20am:
How come no one ever talks about halfstaves, threequarterstaves, or the dreaded wholestave

Grin The quarter in quarterstaff probably comes from the root word meaning "house" or "protection" (as is "give no quarter") and not a measurement. There's even an eighthstaff called the hanbo, but I think that most other polearms count as wholestaves. Wink

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Samurismallz

time on this forum?

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 11:38am

How come noone ever talks about halfstaves, threequarterstaves, or the dreaded wholestave

Do those even exist?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 11:49am

Samurismallz wrote on Dec 5th, 2010 at 11:38am:

Do those even exist?

It's a joke, quarterstaves are short polearms so regular polarms are wholestaves. They just won't be 4 times larger than quarterstaves.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Samurismallz

time on this forum?

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 5:04pm

Ok.  Thanks for clearing that up.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 5:46pm

there are these Staffs in every business of fight sport article. In the original they are angular eight and from hard fell trees made.

these staffs are very difficult. To practice they rather take rattan staff.
these are less painful

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Samurismallz

time on this forum?

Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 8:56pm

Also, does anyone have any good ideas on how you would use a quarterstaff to fight?  I guess that there would be a certain way to hold it to avoid injury, and there would be different techniques depending on the size, weapon, and technique of your opponent or opponents.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 9:10pm

The staff has been used as a weapon in many different cultures, and all have developed specific fighting techniques.  The Japanese call it a "bo", and thus "bojutsu".  The technique is influenced both by Okinawan "ko-budo" (ancient weapons) and by traditional Japanese use of battlefield weapons like the iron staff.
Europe had it's own traditions, of course, witness the famous "duel" between Robin Hood and Little John.  The staff was widely used for both personal defense and in warfare.
The Chinese and the Filipinos have well-refined schools of staff fighting.

In short, there's plenty of material to study.  The Filipino styles are extremely practical and the principals apply to other weapons.
Chinese staff work I've seen lately is very formalized and gymnastic, and doesn't look very practical.
The Okinawan-derived methods are pretty solid as well.
Here's a book I just found as the first Google hit on European staff fighting:

http://www.thearma.org/staffbook/staffbook.htm

Enjoy!

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 9:12pm

Samurismallz wrote on Dec 5th, 2010 at 8:56pm:
Also, does anyone have any good ideas on how you would use a quarterstaff to fight?  I guess that there would be a certain way to hold it to avoid injury, and there would be different techniques depending on the size, weapon, and technique of your opponent or opponents.

There's always bojutsu, and apparently the British have some sort of quarterstaff fencing.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 11:53pm

HurlinThom wrote on Dec 5th, 2010 at 9:12pm:
There's always bojutsu, and apparently the British have some sort of quarterstaff fencing.

The French have "La Canne de Combat" or "The Fighting Cane" as well as "Baton Francois," the Portuguese have "Jogo do Pau" and the Italians have "Juego del Palo" which both mean "Game of the Stick." The English systems are called "Singlestick," "Quarterstaff" (the English name isn't very creative) and "Bartitsu." All of these styles treat the stick as a long, blunted sword except for Baton Francois and Quarterstaff.

Indian quarterstaves come in two varieties, one which is like the rest of the world, straight and slightly longer than the users height; and another which is about one and a half times the users height, but s-curved so that from tip to tip it's the same length as the first.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 7:57am

If I were to  buy one I would get it from a martial arts magazine, although thier knives tend to be very poor quality you usualy can't go wrong with a piece of wood  Wink . I also had a friend who picked a good one up from a renisance fair but if you have the opertunity to inspect it make sure it doesn't have any cracks . as a last ditch effort a 6ft piece of eletrical pvc should work okay. (Note these are flexible, but the chinese monks also used flexible staffs which still packed a whollop but were less likely to kill)

Check out hempevs channel on YT and he has lots of good videos on using oainown weapons such as he tonfa, nunchucku and also bo

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)