Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
My first amygdala!!
Dec 4th, 2010 at 10:14pm

Hallo everybody!
Perhaps this is the wrong section of the forum, for that it's about primitive weapons, and the tool I'm presenting you belongs to an age in which only 70'000 people lived in the whole Europe, and surely nobody had interest in killing someone other. So, it is not a weapon.
But I've seen so many nice reproductions around here, made by skillfull artisans, that I'd really like to show this one, to get tips from them  Smiley
I really like Paleolithic Age, and 10kms South of my town there's the most ancient archaeological site of the whole region, dating about 100'000bp. There've been found a lot of amygdalas, even huge ones, and this, along with my studies in prehistory, made me think that this tool is the true representative of that era. Then I decided to make my own one!
Let me show how I did with some pictures - and sorry if they're many, but I hope they may explain better than my rusty English does  Cheesy

- STEP ONE... choosing the flint!
I really like walking out in the wild, observing the nature around me, and I've trained my archaeological eye with months of reconnaissance in forests and fields. One day I was walking along the beach, not far away from the Paleolithic site I mentioned above, when my eye was captured by a strange piece of flint. It had a nice blue color, and its shape reminded me of an amygdala. I was knapping a lot these days, and I noticed the perfection of that flint: it was not damaged by compression, so I took it. It had some signs of knapping, and was very levigated, perhaps by the action of the sea. Howewer, I took it at home, and waited days before starting knapping it: if it was an ancient relic? Perhaps the work-in-progress of an amygdala? Then I tougth that this was nearly impossible, I should have been too lucky to find one, and decided to begin knapping. But I made some pics of the flint, just in case...  Wink
The flint, as I've found it: imagine an amygdala, isn't similar?

...and one of the knapping signs on it! It even had the right patina...  Grin

...other signs of knapping!

- STEP TWO... less talk, more knap! I said, and then I began, using only three instruments: a stone hammer, that I use to break flint nodules before knapping them, my loyal piece of sandstone, which is very reliable for knapping, and a cow bone, which is old and strong enough to do the final knapping.
Here's the first step: you see the core in the right, and some rough blades I made by knapping, and which I tought to be useful for other tools. At the top there're the sandstone and the stone hammer.

After some time of knapping, the flint got the right shape: now it just needs to be sharpened...

...here's what I meant  Smiley

- STEP THREE... to strut about!  Grin
I'm joking, but here's the picture of my amygdala, at the end of the knapping progress:

do you like it?

It's very sharp, deadly for trees; it has sawn 4 of them, and here's "his" first victim  Wink

I'm now training myself to make wooden javelins with just this amygdala and a stone blade; I've made 2 and am waiting for other 2 to dry out before I make the point.
After having knapped it, I showed the picture of the core to a teacher of mine, and he told me that it was, effectively, an archaeological evidence - I showed him the amygdala and when he saw the ancient knapping signs that survived on it, he confirmed his theory.
But, if it's really true, I have no regrets: someone started the knapping sometime a lot of centuries ago, and I had the luck to finish his job.

Here are some original amygdalas of about the same period (100'000bp) of mine: confront them with my one and tell me if you think they are similar.

And please, give me any tip you have!
It's one of the two ways of learning - the other is practice  Wink

Hope you enjoyed looking at my pics as much as I enjoyed making their subject!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: My first amygdala!!
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 8:59am

When you say the flint was found on a beach,do you mean the Adriatic Sea?

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 12:08pm

Hallo jax!
The flint was found right here

As you probably have seen in the globe, just South of my city there's a small mountain, very ancient and low (540 meters more or less) - it falls in the sea at East, and there's the beach I mentioned  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 12:10pm

Quote:
 When you say the flint was found on a beach,do you mean the Adriatic Sea?

That would be a yes. Mauro lives on the coast of the Adriatic in Italy.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 12:50pm

Oh yes! It is a yes  Cheesy
I live right where Masiakasaurus says  Grin
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 11:41am

......and here's my second one!
After lunch, I took my motorcycle and went to the beach, just to train a bit in slinging. But there were fishermen, so I couldn't train safely. I then began to look for some usable stones, and I've found many - between them, a big core of grey flint. I took it home - with some 5 more huge rocks   Cheesy and began knapping...... this is what I've got:

and

Now, I'd just like to try it on some tree, even if it doesn't seem as powerful as the blue one.
I've used only my sandstone and the cow bone for knapping!
Hope you enjoy!
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 12:04pm

Quote:
and surely nobody had interest in killing someone other. So, it is not a weapon.  

I wouldn't bet on that.

Nice job though Smiley

I guess the next thing is to lash one to a split branch and make a proper axe Smiley

and that's got the making of a nice quarterstaff !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 3:44pm

Part of it has become a stone axe's haft  Grin

The fact that amygdalas were not weaponry, is just my supposition - I think they'd rather use spears, or clubs.
This, even because I've seen that an amygdala works more like a saw, than an axe - and amygdalas exposed in my museum are huge, difficult to use as weapons, I believe  Undecided

Just let me knap a huge amygdala like these, and I'll test it against somebody  Grin Grin

Joking, I don't believe in violence  Wink
Happy you liked them, I'll show you my wooden spears when they'll get completely dry - I've chopped them with the blue amygdala, and made them pointed them with a stone blade.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 11:30pm

Nice hand ax.  While the sapling still has sap in it, heat it over a fire, you can  striaghten it out using heat.  Then, char and scrape, to shape your throwing spear.  You can just scrape it down but it takes more effort.  You will probably mess up the first ones, you will burn too deep and weaken the shaft.  I went slowly and carefully on my first, it came out great.  I then proceded to destroy the next four, mostly because I rushed.  Doing things to see how the ancients did it is a very rewarding pastime.  Have you tried fire hardended dogwood as a baton for your knapping?  Bill

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 6:46am

Hallo there Bill, thanks for the very interesting reply!
Yes, I've tried hardened dogwood, but I prefer that old cow bone, just because luckily it has the right dimension and weight, and it is very easy to handle. When I knap, I must focus all of my attention on what I want to attain, and every hit has to be accurately calculated - I can do it more naturally if I don't have to mind about how to wield the "hammer"  Smiley
Anyway, apart for some technical rules that are common for all, everyone has its preferences, and it is not said that a cow bone is better than a fire hardened dogwood  Wink

Now, about the throwing spear.
With the blue amygdala, I've chopped 4 sapling - the one you see in the picture, and three more. The first is gone, I'll use it for making handles.
The last one is very tall and straight - I've put it apart to let the sap goes out.
I didn't know about heating and scraping, I thought that I had to scrape it first, and then heat the point to make it harder!
The point is, that this particular sapling is very nice, and I'd like to knap a Paleolithic spear point that is now in my town's Archaeological Museum, and apply it to the spear. I want to do a 100% philological job, even if it will take some time to finish it (I have to make cordage, spear point, fire, glue...).

There are two more wooden spears I've done using the blue amygdala and a flint blade. I'll describe them.
I really like to go walking in the near Regional Park of the Conero, but I'm usually alone there, and there is a huge number of wild boars, that can be very aggressive. In addiction, I like to go exploring caves, and there's the need of some kind of defense. So, the last 2 times I went to the Park, I've cut down those trees, and pointed them with the flint blade.
It took me about one hour each, and the trees are not so straight - but they seem strong enough to persuade any wild boar not to attack me. And, if they should be not, they are still powerful pshycological guns: they make me believe that I am safe with them, so I don't mind exploring dark caves.

But I must try out your "heat and scrape" technique: the next sapling will be sacrificed to it!  Wink
Again, many thanks for your suggestions!! I'll let you know the results!  Cheesy
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)