Send Topic Print
Long And Short Slings (Read 9902 times)
sling pker
Novicius

Novice Slinger but I still
like it!

Long And Short Slings
Nov 30th, 2010 at 5:33pm

Hi people I hope u won't mind telling me but whats so different between long slings and shorter slings because i don't know?Thanks to whoever responds! Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2010 at 4:03am by Aussie »  

Slings and bows are cool even if they are old-fashioned so don't judge it!

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS and Tutorials
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 5:42pm

sling pker wrote on Nov 30th, 2010 at 5:33pm:
Hi people I hope u won't mind telling me but whats so different between long slings and shorter slings because i don't know?Thanks to whoever responds! Grin

Longer sling throw farther while shorter slings are more accurate, generally speaking. Each person will have a different optimum length for accuracy and another for distance, so my short and accurate sling may be the same as your long distance sling.

I suggest making a new thread whenever you have any questions, we try to keep the FAQs clutter free for easier navigation. I'll add your question onto my "Advice for Beginners Thread", though because it's a good question that I never thought of.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Long And Short Slings
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 8:06am

sling pker wrote on Nov 30th, 2010 at 5:33pm:
... whats so different between long slings and shorter slings..?.. Grin

'Bout a foot. ... oh Steven that was so wrong!

Seriously what M. said.   

In my limited experience a long sling will require a heavier ammunition to overcome the air resistance of the longer cords.
Perhaps that is because my long slings are braided with more massive materials than my short slings (Bigger sling; bigger materials. Right?).
It seems to work out that way most of the time when I do a long sling.

I have seen long slings from light weight materials that work just fine.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Long And Short Slings
Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 6:59pm

Hi, sling pekr;
   Welcome to slinging.org.   Often new slingers (I was guilty of this) feel that the longer the sling the better their range.  This is true only to a point then other factors become involved.  To make a very long story short, your best sling length for optimum distance is probably shorter than you think right now.  I started out using slings up to 64" for long range.  Now my very longest slings are around 40".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy)