Kubotans? (Read 3171 times)
picklepie159
Descens

Destroying Million year
old rocks with string

South Park, Colorado
Kubotans?
Nov 30th, 2010 at 12:33am

I was just wondering if they ACTUALLY work... It seems a bit far-fetched that a bit of key flailing and pokes with a stick will stop a determined mugger...  Huh Do any of you guys have any experience with them? I just spotted them on ebay for around 5 dollars each, so I don't know if I should get this or an Angus Mushroom and Swiss at McDonalds- It's a hard choice.

I am not the potter, not the potter's wheel, but the potter's clay; is not the value of the shape attained as dependent upon the intrinsic worth of the clay as upon the wheel and the Master's skill?&&- Stephen King, The Stand

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Kubotans?
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 5:50am

A mini-mag flashlight is just as good and you have a light source. I don't know if it will stop a "determined" mugger, but it can certainly add to the hurt you can inflict.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 10:44am

They have gone in and out of fashion in police work several times over the years.    For use as a striking weapon against bony areas, they can focus the impact and cause a lot of pain.  However, in the heat of a fight, especially where alcohol or drugs are involved... Pain doesn't seem to have much effect.
I can testify personally... Trying to get an alcohol-addled suspect into my patrol car one time, the individual was kicking the car door.  I had one of these devices, and whacked the fellow sharply on the ankle...Something that normally is intensely painful.....    No effect at all.

The other use is in "pain-compliance" situations where pressure is applied against a nerve plexus or "pressure point".   This is normally to get the suspect to move or let go of something.

I don't have any great faith in the things.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 12:56pm

They are brass knuckles made out of wood or plastic.  They are too light to add much to a punch, they do square up your knuckles so your punch is more effictive, if it is the one with the two spikes, they make the punch hurt more.  Pain may or may not stop a fight, he's drunk, drugged, or has a high pain threshold, he's now really pissed...you are in more trouble.  Bill

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 3:44pm

When I was younger I often carried a kubaton until on vacation in NY city I was bording a boat to see Ellis Island (My great grand parents came that way) and as the metal detctor beeped the gaurd said this was an ilegal weapon and that it was to be confiscated and destroyed  Huh Shocked . So I remained a somewhat defenceless 10 year old (with only 3 years of MA expierence) for the remainder of the vacation.

I do not carry one, as Bigkahuna said a flashlite as well as a dogchew, screw driver, or a pen will serve the job just as well and woundn't be considered a "weapon" either

As far as effectiveness goes a kubaton is near indestructable and will crush in a skull if needed but it won't do anything if you can't even carry it (legally)(I also never saw how effective the keys to the eyes would be) . As opposed to a pen which has the ability to puncture soft tisue (neck,eyes, etc.) and can be carried legaly so it can also be used as a lethal weapon. Though if your local goverment allows it carry a gun or knife instead.    
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2010 at 8:13am by Dan »  

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 7:15pm

they actually make tactical pens, which are pens that are made with a solid aluminum body, and a twist on cap.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

BlackLakeSlinger
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 12:13pm

picklepie159 wrote on Nov 30th, 2010 at 12:33am:
I was just wondering if they ACTUALLY work... It seems a bit far-fetched that a bit of key flailing and pokes with a stick will stop a determined mugger...  Huh Do any of you guys have any experience with them? I just spotted them on ebay for around 5 dollars each, so I don't know if I should get this or an Angus Mushroom and Swiss at McDonalds- It's a hard choice.

OK. It probably is a bit late but still allow me to put my 2 cents in.
I would go for the burger. Grin Grin Wink
And as far as the Kubotan, by itself- useless. It offer very few advantages and has numerous and very serious draw-backs.
If you want more info and/or details, let me know.

IP Logged

Gator7024
Novicius

Go Primitive!

Southern Ontario, Kanukistan
Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 9:32pm

Although not something anyone would or should equip themself with if they knew they were going to be involved in a set piece confrontation, I think these things do have some utility;
The wrist locks that can be done with them work when used as a "come along". They can be used for striking in the same fashion a collapsed ASP baton can. They are helpful when needing to keep a door from closing behind you. You can remove bottle caps with one. They make a great keychain that can be tucked down the front waistband of your pants and is easily retrieved and replaced when carrying groceries.
I am reminded of the saying that goes something like, "The best weapon in an unexpect use of force encounter is the one you have with you."  I keep my keys on one and have found them to be handy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man)