Send Topic Print
Cool sling idea (Read 4583 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Cool sling idea
Nov 29th, 2010 at 8:03pm

Here is a cool idea for all the bushcrafters, pathfinders, or any prepared people out in the woods who don't often EDC a sling but wear a bandana out in the woods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HqFPb4DlIg

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Cool sling idea
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 8:22pm

1) OMG he called it a sling and not a slingshot! He's no longer an idiot survival show host to me.
2) He gave some pretty practical advice and even emphasized practice! Most people who mention slings for survival don't explain that!
3)I just tried this and it really works well.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 9:28pm

And here my worlds colide.  I've been a slinger and a member of slinging.org for a number of years, and I've also been a student at Dave Canterbury's Pathfinder school.  Now the two have met!

Brian

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 12:03pm

Pretty good shots too

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 2:45pm

I also like that he stressed that much practice was necessary.  His bandana sling worked OK, but he'd have been much better off taking a bootlace and making an Appu-sling. 
http://slinging.org/index.php?page=making-a-simple-string-sling-an-illustrated-g...

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 3:48pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 30th, 2010 at 2:45pm:
I also like that he stressed that much practice was necessary.  His bandana sling worked OK, but he'd have been much better off taking a bootlace and making an Appu-sling.  
http://slinging.org/index.php?page=making-a-simple-string-sling-an-illustrated-g...

[url]My boots[/url] have no laces to tie, so I either have to be packin' heat in the woods, or make a sling from my bandana. I did have my last pair of boots double laced to make an Appu-sling, but my army boots gave up the ghost after a half decade of hard use.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 5:32pm

If I ever saw a guy take off his bandanna and use it for a sling to kill small game I think I would have a new hero.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 9:06am

I am positive MacGyver used this once in an episode, in fact it was one reason I got interested in slings. Dish towels work better (the long thin white ones).

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 3:58pm

BrianGrubbs wrote on Nov 29th, 2010 at 9:28pm:
 And here my worlds colide.  I've been a slinger and a member of slinging.org for a number of years, and I've also been a student at Dave Canterbury's Pathfinder school.  Now the two have met!

Brian

Good to see other pathfinders here and also I am glad you guys liked the vid. Dave is definitly one of the best survival instructors I have seen.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15)