Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fantasy writer asking for advice (Read 8458 times)
Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Fantasy writer asking for advice
Reply #30 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 12:39pm

I think I will cease with the negative vibes and concentrate on what she can do.  What is the enemy's primary distance weapon?  If it is bows, there have been several comments on sling verses bow.  If it is javelins, a slinger will eat them for lunch.  If they don't have any, their only hope is to rush the slinger and hope that someone will still be alive to close with her.  Have you looked at the South Pacific warclubs?  They are made of a dense wood, some are around 2m long and have fantastic carvings.  They are used as a walking staff most of the time, in a fight, those carvings act as points and edges.  If the enemy is not wearing gauntlets, a strike to the hand or forearm will cause great pain, probably disarm him, and possibly break bones, probably if it hits the hand, even through gauntlets. 

FWIW  The most decorated branch of pretty much every armed force is the medics and corpsmen.  They are suspposed to run away and leave the wounded, Geneva Convention and all that, the enemy will take care of the wounded, all he has are defensive weapons, etc,etc...the fact is they don't abandon the wounded.  They do things like take on guys with automatic weapons while all they have is a pistol, jump on grenades, things like that.  Bill

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Fantasy writer asking for advice
Reply #31 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 3:11pm

Idea I got when I thought about another thread, which mention riot police, some with shield and short baton, other with long staff.
Okay, shield bearer with short sword cower one or two healers with longer staffs (or still using slings).  they can use spears too if they do not mind the blood, but as healers they may prefer to avoid blood shed anyway.  The longer weapon(s) are carried by the shield bearer when not needed.
This is only done in dire need, tactical withdrawal is first option, as healers is not to be wasted, and work as shield carrier may be a part of the military education/work for future leaders or something such.
timann

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)